What change from the books would you LIKE to see the show make? (Please keep it plausible)

Well, I really hope that the way they ended things with Tyrion and Jaime stays that way and that they don't somehow twist it to Jaime being bitter at Tyrion for killing their father. I really enjoy having both story lines already. The book.. showing us the way Tyrion and Jaime struggle with their love/hate relationship but the show sowing us the way they love/respect each other no matter what.

I also don't want to see season 5 end on the eve of the two battles. Show one and skimp on the other if need be, but don't let that dangle for a year.

Put the Blackfish in LS's role. Every time I read her parts in the books I cringe. Get rid of her.

I hope for an amalgamation of Euron and Victarion. The show doesn't need both of them. I don't want the Ironborn plot to completely go away, but I want it greatly reduced.

They would dramatically improve the series by cutting the Mance/Rattleshirt fake-out. It's not effective television because it would mean less Ciaran Hinds, and it's just a cheap trope in general. Oh, you can't think of a way to keep alive a character you enjoy writing? Have him swap identities with a less important character (and literally have a wizard do it) so you can fake his death.

Plus, Jon's story would be much better off keeping Mance at the wall. So much of Jon's storyline in ADWD is told through his internal monologue since he sends away the people he trusts, so the show will need to give him more people to talk to. Even if he doesn't trust Mance completely, he respects Mance and their interactions make for good drama.

Avoiding cliffhanger season endings. I really hope they can resolve the battles of Winterfell and Mereen and what happens with Jon and either postpone or resolve what happens with Jaime.

Fewer main characters isolated from the rest of the story where nothing they do matters to any of the other main characters (a lot of the isolation does work in the books, but it is more frustrating on TV).

I don't want to see Ramsay's wedding night. Or its aftermath.

I think there is a lot of potential in the interactions between Cersei and Tommen, and Jaime and Myrcella. I want Tommen and Myrcella to get to ask their parents about the incest rumors. I want to see Tommen outgrow Cersei.

I also don't want to see season 5 end on the eve of the two battles. Show one and skimp on the other if need be, but don't let that dangle for a year.

Put the Blackfish in LS's role. Every time I read her parts in the books I cringe. Get rid of her.

I hope for an amalgamation of Euron and Victarion. The show doesn't need both of them. I don't want the Ironborn plot to completely go away, but I want it greatly reduced.

Euron and Victarion getting merged? Fuck that. They're some of the best characters in the story and the Ironborn have quite a lot of sway on the story. I don't want D&D butchering the story anymore or ruining characters.

Yes, cut about a third of FFC and maybe 1/4 of DWD. Don't overdo it, though; I'm not terribly happy about the loss of Arianne. Most of the Brienne journey can go, even if Hunt is amusing. I don't like Damp, but the Iron moot should stay. Much of Tyrion's journey can go. I do want to see Volantis, however.

They would dramatically improve the series by cutting the Mance/Rattleshirt fake-out. It's not effective television because it would mean less Ciaran Hinds, and it's just a cheap trope in general. Oh, you can't think of a way to keep alive a character you enjoy writing? Have him swap identities with a less important character (and literally have a wizard do it) so you can fake his death.

Plus, Jon's story would be much better off keeping Mance at the wall. So much of Jon's storyline in ADWD is told through his internal monologue since he sends away the people he trusts, so the show will need to give him more people to talk to. Even if he doesn't trust Mance completely, he respects Mance and their interactions make for good drama.

This, so much. This was probably the most groan-worthy moment in Jon's storyline.

Cut the freaking travelogues.

From your keyboard to D&D's scripts, I hope.

Also, I'd be very happy if we did not get Penny.

Honestly, I wished they had cut Volantis to speed up through Tyrion's journey.

But we dont know at all what we'll be getting in that arc so it's hard to really say in the end.

In any case I'm curious as to how they handle the Tyrion / Jorah relationship and hope they dont try to make it a comedic duo while they should both be on the edge and agressive or sulking.

In any case I'm curious as to how they handle the Tyrion / Jorah relationship and hope they dont try to make it a comedic duo while they should both be on the edge and agressive or sulking.

I know what you mean, and I agree that making it comedic would be oh so wrong, but if it's true to the book it'd be almost unwatchable. For that matter, Book 5 Tyrion may be unwatchable, and I'm not sure how the show is going to handle that.

I know what you mean, and I agree that making it comedic would be oh so wrong, but if it's true to the book it'd be almost unwatchable. For that matter, Book 5 Tyrion may be unwatchable, and I'm not sure how the show is going to handle that.

Well, they already cut the "where do whores go?" nonsense, so they may be on the right track.

Well, they already cut the "where do whores go?" nonsense, so they may be on the right track.

Actually I didn't mind it that much in the book - I didn't find Book 5-Tyrion "interesting" to be with, and he certainly wasn't likeable, but neither quality is a requirement for a novel. However, it's much trickier for a TV show to successfully build scenes around a character who isn't interesting to be with. For the show to turn two of the most charismatic actors into a depressed mopey spark-less duo, while true to the book, would probably lead to dire television.

I'm guessing Show-Tyrion will still be likeable, and won't go full-dark; I suppose that can be classed as white-washing, but I think it'll make for better TV.

The obvious change I want them to make: speed up everything else so the Stark kids continue to be important in the show. Also: keep the White Walkers in play, like they did with the Winter-Darth-Maul this season - they're the threat that started the whole show, and they shouldn't be just set aside. Don't let the fates of key characters be left unknown for too long (Davos executed or not, for example).

Archived