Braavosi involvement in Jon's assassination?

Lopsang

I'm new here so I'm not sure if anybody has already touched on this, but do you think it's possible that the Faceless Men killed Jon, or that it had something to do with the Iron Bank of Braavos? Here I will lay out some reasons why I think that is possible.

The Iron Bank

Tycho talked with Jon for a couple of hours, negotiating a big loan to him for food for the winter. Tycho may know that the Night's Watch has little in the way of commanding money, and may suspect it will be impossible for Jon to pay the Iron Bank back. We learn of how the Iron Bank gets its way - through funding opponents of defaulted debtors - during one of Jon's chapters, and after his discussion with Tycho. Tycho may have faith that one of Jon's detractors, like Denis Mallister, for example, would actually be able to pay the loan back somehow (in Mallister's case, through the coffers of his House), and he could be assassinating Jon preemptively. The loan, in some form, must be very important for the Night's Watch, and this may be the reason why.

The Faceless Men

Mayhaps one of the very few people in the House of White and Black praying to the Stranger willed Jon to die. Jon sent that ship with Samwell and Aemon on it to Braavos, so maybe it's possible that one of the crew members got off and prayed for Jon to die. He could have prayed to the Stranger because that is most likely given that the NW is made of up mostly Westerosi Northmen or Southrons, but other Gods are not out of the question. The Faceless Men, of course, could have changed their appearance to one of Jon's lesser known watchmen. It may also be a way of bridging the gap between Arya and Jon, or just Arya and Westeros in general.

No. If Tycho thought that Jon was unable to repay, he wouldn't have made it in the first place.

Mallister wasn't one of Jon's detractors.

The Faceless Men don't conduct assassinations for prayers, they do it for money.

Why would the ship's crew, who never even had contact with Jon, pay to have him assassinated?

Well, think of Tycho's loan like a banker. If he knew Jon would take out a giant loan, and wasn't sure if other people would, then why not make it and then switch out Jon for someone who will pay it back? Once a loan is made, it's made.

Mallister was just an example. We can't be entirely sure if he really liked Jon or not; he voted for him but he may have changed his mind, who knows. IIRC, Bowen Marsh and Othell Yarwyck threw in with Jon after Mallister and Pyke did, and they certainly didn't like him either. Not sure if Marsh or Yarwyck had resources to pay it back, but who knows. That point being moot though, Tycho's idea may have just been that he could replace Jon if he wanted to, which is really the important thing.

My understanding was that people who prayed to the gods in the House of White and Black for someone to die might get their wish granted. Jaqen H'ghar killed three people for Arya for saving his life, so the Faceless Men clearly will kill for other things than just money. The kindly man says that the founding of the order happened when a slave prayed for his master's death, and the first Faceless man killed them both. I thought it was the same if you prayed in the House of White and Black; I thought that you die and whoever you prayed for to die also would die.

Betrayal in the NW is not terribly uncommon; remember, Chett wanted to kill Jeor simply because Jon took his spot as steward. It could have been a crime of passion sort of thing. One of the crew members may have just been taking orders from one of Jon's enemies or like I said, they may have just disagreed with Jon's controversial policies and wished him dead.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts. It's just a hypothesis.

Archived