What books do we know of and what do they tell us? - New and Moderately Improved!

Archmaester Drew

There are several tomes of knowledge that are referred to or seen in the world of ASOIAF. Some of these include:

Signs and Portends – by Daenys ‘the Dreamer’ Targaryen (a book of visions about the Doom).

The Book of Lost Books - by Archmaester Marwyn (an account of attempting to find lost texts?; claims to have found three pages from Signs and Portends).

The Jade Compendium – by Colloquo Votar (a Volantine adventure’s compalation of tales from the Jade Sea, including an account of Azor Ahai fighting a monster).

Dragonkin, Being a History of House Targaryen from Exile to Apotheosis, with a Consideration of the Life and Death of Dragons – by Maester Thomax (the title speaks for itself).

Dragons, Wyrms, and Wyverns: Their Unnatural History - Septon Barth (possibly containing the phrase,"the dragon has three heads"; see the link below).

Notes on Dragons(?) - by Tyrion Lannister (Tyrion's recollections of dragon lore, written while aboard the Shy Maid).

Questions - by Maester Denestan (including Ironborn history, states last kingsmoot was 2000 years ago).

History of the Iron Born – by Haereg (states last kingsmoot was 4000 years ago).

The Lineages and Histories of the Great Houses of the Seven Kingdoms, with Descriptions of many High Lords and Noble ladies and their Children - by Grand Maester Malleon (the title speaks for itself; Jon Arryn and Ned consulted this book).

Lives of Four Kings - by Grand Maester Kaeth (Daeron I, Baelor I, Aegon IV, and Daeron II; only 4, 3 known illuminated copies in Kaeth's own hand)

The White Book (Book of Brothers) - By the Lords Commander of the Kingsguard (history of the members of the Kingsguard)

Wonders - by Lomas Longstrider (natural wonders of the world)

Wonders of Men - by Lomas Longstrider (man-made wonders of the world)

Annals of the Black Centaur - by Septon Jorquen (about the very dull Lord Commander Orbert Caswell)

The Seven-Pointed Star and Lives of the High Septons - by?

The Ten Thousand Ships - by ? (presumably about the Rhoynar fleeing Essos and Nymeria)

The Loves of Queen Nymeria - by ?

What other books are out there and what do they tell us?

Does one of these book hold the answers to Rhaegar’s inspirations? (i.e., Dragonkin, Dragons, Wyrms, and Wyverns, or Signs and Portends?).

Thoughts?

:)

Edit: This thread was inspired by Paper Waiver's thread that talks about Septon Barth's book:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/116502-the-dragon-has-three-heads-origins/

Edit 2: I will update the OP to include new volumes as they are identified (and maybe this might become useful/interesting).

Do you want all books or just ones about Targaryens/dragons/legends?

Because there's Annals of the Black Centaur by Septon Jorquen. It's about Orbert Caswell's term as LC of the Night's Watch. It tells us that Caswell had a very dull life.

Do you want all books or just ones about Targaryens/dragons/legends?

Because there's Annals of the Black Centaur by Septon Jorquen. It's about Orbert Caswell's term as LC of the Night's Watch. It tells us that Caswell had a very dull life.

All books are welcome! Thanks! :)

There are some in Arianne's chapter

During the daylight hours she would try to read, but the books that they had given her were deadly dull: ponderous old histories and geographies, annotated maps, a dry-as-dust study of the laws of Dorne, The Seven-Pointed Star and Lives of the High Septons, a huge tome about dragons that somehow made them about as interesting as newts.

Arianne would have given much and more for a copy of Ten Thousand Ships or The Loves of Queen Nymeria, anything to occupy her thoughts and let her escape her tower for an hour or two, but such amusements were denied her.

Isn't there a book about Wildlings that the previous Maester of the NW wrote, although the closest he ever was to them was the library in Castle Black? I don't know the name or anything I just remember the line for some reason and that popped in my head when I saw this thread.

There are some in Arianne's chapter

Thanks! :)

Isn't there a book about Wildlings that the previous Maester of the NW wrote, although the closest he ever was to them was the library in Castle Black? I don't know the name or anything I just remember the line for some reason and that popped in my head when I saw this thread.

I'll look into it. Thanks! :)

Well, Joffrey hacked up a copy of the "Lives of Three Kings", I think.

EDIT: Sorry FOUR Kings.

Anyway:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Category:Books_and_Scrolls

I could hardly bear the description of the servants sweeping away the book after Joffrey hacked it. If there are only three others its worth saving - Joffrey hack each page into four it sounds like - even in pieces its worth something and at least could be used as the basis for a copy. Things like that get to me. Like all the crumbling manuscripts at the Wall.

Archived