Sympathy for the Devil(s)

Bustard

Lysa Tully and Viserys Targaryen are two of the most annoying/detestable characters in the series. That hasn't stopped some readers for sympathizing with their tragic circumstances (and ultimate demise).

Who do you feel worse for?

Lysa. She suffered from the same fate as many women in this world; packed off like a piece of cloth to new husband she knew nothing about. Not the worst fate, but not a good one. Her father forced an abortion on her from the one person she seems to actually want to have kids with. She suffered a bunch more miscarriages after that.

As much as her actions have caused terrible things, they were mostly wrought by that cunt Petyr, so I consider her a tragic and perhaps accidental villain and Petyr.. well, he's just a cunt.

Too lazy to do Viserys but Danzie does a good review right here and she's fully aware that it's "for the devil." Basically, terrible circumstances turned him into a worse person that he probably would have been,.

Viserys Targaryen, he suffered since a small child by no fault through his own losing over half his family and having to keep him and his sister alive having his family's dynasty on his shoulders is hell.

Viserys is actually tragic one of the very few characters who were a victim of his environment, he was one if the most innocent people in RR. I pity him.

Lysa Tully was always a jealous piece of shit I don't have much if any sympathy for her, it flew out the window when I read she killed Jon Arryn than tried to kill Sansa. She was a victim of Hoster but she blamed everybody from her sister to her niece who just spent a year being terrorize by Lannister monsters.

I feel sympathy for both of them. Plenty of character are worse than Lysa and Viserys.

I will go with Viserys. During a reread I started to warm up to both him and Dany. And considering Viserys never killed anyone in his life and Lysa is partially responsible for a conflict that killed thousands of people I'd say Viserys deserves more sympathy.

Well, I kinda feel sorry for both, but more so for Viserys because he was always a piece in a game that was out of his control.

Lysa, while she was clearly manipulated by LF, could have made the right choice, but she decided to kill her husband just because she wanted to be with LF and because she didn't want Sweetrobin to be fostered at Dragonstone, even though it was the right decision because she was spoiling him to the core. And last but not least, she pinned the murder on the Lannisters and almost had one of them killed to cover her tracks.

So far it's 3 for Lysa and 11 for Viserys. I tend to agree with the majority here. Ilyrio set Viserys up for failure with faulty notions of being "the rightful king."

Lysa fell victim to her own bitterness/jealousy and played right into LF's hand. Knowingly murdering her husband and threatening to do the same with her niece is pretty unforgivable.

Archived