How on Planetos does Essos know about The Others?

So let's get this straight:you could say "maybe they just learn by a Westerosi men or they were taught" a mans word thousand of years later isn't as believable as of right now. Asshai,the other part of the world fears of them like they're right next to them. I made a thread about Essos connecting to Westeros but it's unlikely. The Others must of set foot in Essos for then to be feared. Others can't sail for all we know and my guess:

Undead Kraken

Sea turned into complete ice

Aliens

There must be a reason to fear them so much. Like R'hllor worshippers care about the godless people that are Westerosi people.

I don't think it's a given anyone in Essos knows about the Others. Id actually go out on a limb and say they have no clue what "others" are, that's why Benerro's interpretation of the AA prophecy refers to something else rather than the others.

The myth has been well known for 8,000 years in Westeros. Word spreads.

It's nothing but mythology to Essos, all snarks and grumpkins.

I don't think it's a given anyone in Essos knows about the Others. Id actually go out on a limb and say they have no clue what "others" are, that's why Benerro's interpretation of the AA prophecy refers to something else rather than the others.

I concur. :)

Agree. I kinda think there is no coincidence Shireen is at the Wall (but I haven't yet found a real connection)

I don't remember if Tycho Nestoris freaked out when he saw her like Val did. Mel certainly hasn't commented on the issue of greyscale. But then again, maybe not every person from Essos is aware of the legends surrounding the Bridge of Dream (though they should)

I think the only Essosi who makes the connection (or whom we know about) is Melisandre. And she might be mistaken. Remember, we haven't heard about any equivalent of the Great Other in Westerosi mythology yet, not in connection with The Prince That Was Promised, neither in connection with the Last Hero or the Others. The Great Other is part of the R'hollorist theology only, and the Azor Ahai myth. (Actually the closest Westerosi paralel to it is the Ironborn myth about the fighting of the Drowned God and the Storm God.) Melisandre has heard about the Others, and as the R'hhlorism is a religion with a universal worldview, she had to find a place for them in her religious thinking; quite naturally, she thinks they are controlled by the Great Other, but it is mainly speculation on her part.

I do not say that it is impossible that these legends have kind of a common origin, but we cannot know for sure.

Umm... do they? So far, its only Melisandre who made such a connection and if the first Long Night was an apocalyptic event than its not such a big suprise that people all over the world has a myth regarding similiar events. Kinda like our world's Great Flood.

if the Others bring the cold with them, they'll freeze that sea up and walk on it. Maybe the reason why a majority of Red God worshippers are in Essos is because their religion binds them to the threat of the others, so they dipped out as far away as they could from the threat.

Archived