Whats your personal theory on how the lannisters took Casterly Rock

All us fans really know is the Casterlys were the richest and most powerful house of the Western Lands and probably Westeros but we're ''tricked" out of there keep ''Casterly Rock" by a man now known as Lann the clever who as we know was a Lannister. I have seen many theories on how this happened I'd like to hear more from the fans.

My theory is that Lann the Clever was a bannerman and castelan of Casterly Rock, and was allowed the privalage of marrying one of Lord Casterlys daughters, unfortunately for Casterlys this was not enough for Lann so he waited untill Lord Casterly went to war with some other Lord or king and he annexed CR from the inside and murdered every loyal man left inside CR. Once this was done he had access to all the gold the Casterlys had in the Keep Safe which was I assume millions of dollars, then he bought other lords of the Western Lands promising them more lands and more gold. When Lord casterly arrived back to CR he was denied entry furious Lord Casterly began a siege of his own castle but was murdered Ceaser style by his own bannerman. Lann has numerous kids with the casterly daughter then had her murdered as well for security reasons and BOOM Lann says screw it instead of Lord of csdterly rock declares himself king of the Western Lands the greedy prick

My theory is that history in planatos is repeating itself.

Obviously the war of dawn approaches. The great houses are all reasserting their historical roles. Tyrion=Lann the clever. We know that casterly rock was taken by Lann using just his wits. This is Tyrion. He was no martial prowess, no social standing he has only his wits. Dany indiscriminately conquering makes her a true targaryan. Bran getting in touch with his wild side and the children makes him a true northman(you could make the same claim with rickon). Tyrion armed only with his wits makes him a true lannister. Stannis' obstinence and belligerence (despite his personality) make him a true stormlander. The iron born are desperate to reclaim their historical identity. Arriane for drone equals nymeria. the Age of Heroes and westerosi history is extremely relevant to the soiaf.

drunk post on saturday night after partying. hope it makes sense

Maybe the original his nickname before all the romanticizing and whitewashing was Lann the Cleaver because he butchered the Casterlys (either on the battlefield or some treachery and actual cleaver was involved, but I prefer the latter)

Obviously the war of dawn approaches. The great houses are all reasserting their historical roles. Tyrion=Lann the clever. We know that casterly rock was taken by Lann using just his wits. This is Tyrion. He was no martial prowess, no social standing he has only his wits. Dany indiscriminately conquering makes her a true targaryan. Bran getting in touch with his wild side and the children makes him a true northman(you could make the same claim with rickon). Tyrion armed only with his wits makes him a true lannister. Stannis' obstinence and belligerence (despite his personality) make him a true stormlander. The iron born are desperate to reclaim their historical identity. Arriane for drone equals nymeria. the Age of Heroes and westerosi history is extremely relevant to the soiaf.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I see Lann as a bastard of the Casterly's and played a Varys type role to have the claimants kill eacother off. Probably married a female heir and founded his own house. I love the idea that the first lion of Lannister was actually just a manipulative little rat

Now here's an interesting theory:

Bastards often tend to use the family sign with the colours reversed (this is one of several conventions that may denote it: alternative conventions include (2) having the sign reversed left-to-right, (3) having a sigil in black instead of the usual colour, or (4) having the family shield crossed out by a "bend sinister" diagonal stripe.)

House Reyne's sigil is a red lion.

House Lannister's sigil is a lion on a red background.

For a long time I wondered if the Reynes were originally a bastard offshoot of the Lannisters - a bastard offshoot that later acquired a surname of their own, which may have been a nickname.

But in what appears to be an extract from "A World of Ice and Fire", it suggests that the Reynes were a great, famous and noble house in the days of the Casterlys, while the Lannisters were nothing special.

Which makes me wonder: Was it the other way round? Do the Lannisters, in fact, derive from a bastard offshoot of the Reynes?

If so... do they take their name from Lannisport, rather than (as they claim) having given their name to it?

Was "Lann the Clever" an alias, used by someone from an already-existing family Lannister of Lannisport whose surname came from the town?

As to how he got hold of Casterly Rock - maybe he eloped with a Casterly daughter and got her pregnant, but was (unwisely) forgiven when he promised to marry her - probably with a promise that their children would keep the Casterly family name, but Lann reneging on that promise once his wife actually inherited the place, and then murdering off all the rest of the Casterlys so that nobody was left to complain?

I started a thread a while back about history is repeating itself in ASIOAF, found so many examples of it

Archived