If Tyrion was in King's Landing during Eddard's execution

roccocannone

Let's say if Tyrion was released earlier, but after Jaime and Ned's brawl, and returned to King's Landing after Robert died and Joffrey was king, would Tyrion have successfully talked Joffrey out of executing Eddard? Joffrey is easy to manipulate in Tyrion's point-of-view and Tyrion would tell Joffrey wise advice on why not to. But would Joffrey cancel the execution and the War of Five Kings not exist if Tyrion returned to King's Landing in time?

He would join Cersei, Pycelle and others in that futile protest right before the head was chopped off

This. Also, seeing as Joffrey blindsided everyone with the call to execute Ned, there was no time and no opportunity to change his mind. I mean, you can't overrule the new King in public, can you?

Maybe, I wouldn't refute it at all.

At least based on my show memories, more than the books, Joffrey did come out a bit of a misogynist.. so if spoken by a man, he could have listened.

Especially if Tyrion already had the charge as hand of the king. We see in several occasions that Tyrion manages to take over what Joffrey does, like with Sansa for example. I think that's why he had the urge to umiliate Tyrion in public.

Instead, he doesn't appear to listen to his mother. Probably, growing behind Robert unreachable shadow, he came to develop a bipolar feeling towards her: love her as protecting mum and hate her as inferior woman at the same time

eta : my assertions might be based on wrong, partial or biased memories.. this is a perspective i know it's probably faulty, so I'll pass hand to your constructive criticism to tear it apart.. for the benefits of the discussion it is fine like this. ;)

Tyrion would have slapped Joffrey and/or had Bronn taking on Payne and Slynt to deliver Ned to Yoren

And the the rest of the Goldcloaks, would have killed Bronn and arrested Tyrion. The Ned would have still died, regardless of Tyrion being there, because no one knew what Joffery was doing until that moment...other than Littlefinger.

And the the rest of the Goldcloaks, would have killed Bronn and arrested Tyrion. The Ned would have still died, regardless of Tyrion being there, because no one knew what Joffery was doing until that moment...other than Littlefinger.

Yup. More like he would have said "stop. don't. come back." and then slapped Joff after the fact. There was really not much anyone could do in that moment, short of starting a revolution.

Littlefinger wanted Eddard executed. He had a conversation with Joffrey the morning of the execution. Cersei later confessed to Tyrion that Eddard was supposed to be allowed to take the black but the execution happened too fast for her to stop it. It seems obvious to me that LF was behind it and if Tyrion had been there LF would have made arrangements to keep him from interfering.

I think Tyrion, rather than attempting to talk Joffrey out of it, would have first stopped Janos and Ilyn Payne. I think Tyrion would have been quick enough to realise that the magic words would be 'my father'. Now, maybe Janos would still attempt to go ahead with it, but I think Payne knows where the true power lies. I think Tyrion might have been able to delay the execution long enough for Cersei and him to perhaps convince Joffrey to at least delay the execution. Then, with the delay, they could have taken Ned into custody under forces loyal to them instead of Joffrey. It would have been one of the few occasions where Tyrion and Cersei were united.

The only person that could have stopped it from happening was Tywin. No not even Tyrion could have stopped Joffrey from executing Ned.

:agree:

And depending on how in the dark Tywin was about Joffrey's last-second, probably Littlefinger-assisted change of heart, I'd say that even Tywin stopping it would be a maybe, especially if Payne and Slynt were already super-prepared and ready to roll immediately.

And depending on how in the dark Tywin was about Joffrey's last-second, probably Littlefinger-assisted change of heart, I'd say that even Tywin stopping it would be a maybe, especially if Payne and Slynt were already super-prepared and ready to roll immediately.

Tywin would have stopped it with a mere glare at Payne. Ser Ilyn was his captain of the guard, after all, he knows who the boss is. Honestly, if Tywin was in King's Landing, I doubt Littlefinger would have tried the approach he did.

Tyrion, on the other hand, would not have been able to effectively exercise Tywin's authority in as short a space of time as was available at Ned's execution. He'd have been remonstrating with Joffrey like the rest, but unable to stop the guardsmen and Ser Ilyn.

Archived