Elia and Aegon(?)-mostly for those who believe that Aegon is real.

Jon's Queen Consort

I believe that Rhaegar’s and Elia’s Aegon is dead and he isn’t either in Essos with JonCon or at the Wall with Mel.

However let’s for a moment forget that and let’s say that JonCon’s Aegon is real how could a mother like Elia, who from all we know this far loved her children and she personally took care of them, let her daughter alone to die and chose to be with a nobody from FleeBottom? I can understand that someone could have this reaction towards babies, to feel protective, but would someone do that while (s)he abandons her child to die alone?

I would imagine it's because a very young baby (Aegon) is more easy to mistake for any other baby, whereas Rhaenys being a toddler would be much more recognisable, or rather it would be much easier to notice that someone was trying to pass off another little girl as her. Therefore if the real Rhaenys is sacrificed it may make it more likely for Aegon to be smuggled away without anyone asking questions over the baby that died in his place. Either way it's not an easy choice for Elia to make, she knows she's losing at least one child, maybe she decided it would be better than losing both.

I believe that Rhaegar’s and Elia’s Aegon is dead and he isn’t either in Essos with JonCon or at the Wall with Mel.

However let’s for a moment forget that and let’s say that JonCon’s Aegon is real how could a mother like Elia, who from all we know this far loved her children and she personally took care of them, let her daughter alone to die and chose to be with a nobody from FleeBottom? I can understand that someone could have this reaction towards babies, to feel protective, but would someone do that while (s)he abandons her child to die alone?

Well, Elia Martell is a personal favorite for me, so although I don't believe in fAegon, I'll answer that in the possibility that Varys speaks the truth. Even if the event is true, we don't know what happened in the Red Keep. Elia might have ran to Rhaenys, but caught by Gregor in the way, since Elia was in the floor below Rhaegar's chambers. Rhaenys herself was said to run scared to Rhaegar's chambers and hid under the bed.

Just remembering, Rhaenys was stabbed half a hundred times by Armory Lorch whilst she hid, just because she couldn't stop screaming and kicking when caught. Elia might have been dead herself at the time.

One thing that most people tend to overlook is that Lorch and Clegane were sent ahead of the Lannister army to scale the walls of the Red Keep and murder the kids. Elia might've been preparing to flee with the fake Aegon and Rhaenys - but Gregor caught her before she could get out of the nursery.

I also think Aegon is fake, but like TheCrannogWeller said, we really don't know the specifics of the Lannister assault.

Maybe Elia was in a different room and couldn't get to Rhaenys, so she at least tried to protect an innocent baby from a horrible death.

The baby switch would have served as a distraction to buy time for Varys so he could have smuggled Aegon out. The Lannister forces wouldn't be on the look out for the Targaryen heir if they think that he's dead. Elia would have stayed with the Pisswater Prince to sell the deception so that Varys could smuggle her kids out.

The baby switch would have served as a distraction to buy time for Varys so he could have smuggled Aegon out. The Lannister forces wouldn't be on the look out for the Targaryen heir if they think that he's dead. Elia would have stayed with the Pisswater Prince to sell the deception so that Varys could smuggle her kids out.

The plan as far as we know is that only Aegor got away. Would Elia really leaved Rhenys alone to be with Aegon?

how could a mother like Elia, who from all we know this far loved her children and she personally took care of them,

Isn't this show only? Because Elia was left weak after every childbirth. I suppose the second kid was even worst than the first one. She was bedridden, and despite her intentions, she probably needed wetnurses and nannies to take care of the children who after all, are the heirs of the king.

Either way, it's stated that she was with the children in their room, and for what it looks like, Gregor and Lorche climbed through the walls and probably surprised them. Rhaenys ran and Elia couldn't follow her. Running with a one year old is kinda hard to do, specially for a fragile woman as she was. I suppose she didn't carrying him around, but had someone to do that. Maybe, while trying to find somewhere to hide, one of the servants switched the children. It's not impossible.

But... remember we know this because this is what Lorch and Gregor had said that happened. While I believe Lorche is not lying, maybe Gregor was fooled. He and Elia could have been fooled into thinking the child there was Aegon during the assault. Remember when Tywin died? Cersei didn't even noticed Shae at first. How to know that they also killed the children' nannies but simply no one is crying for them because they don't care?

We don't actually know who died first though, do we? If Clegane beat Lorch to the top, he could have already killed Aegon by the time Lorch got to Rhaenys. Assuming he knows the layout of the castle, it wouldn't take much for him to quickly find the room, bash Aegon's head against the wall and proceed to Elia.

I don't believe that Aegon is real, but I think it's possible.

Maybe Elia thought that she herself and Rhaenys weren't as much in danger as Aegon that he was the one they were coming for. So her cluching to him is understandable. Maybe everything happened so fast from the baby switch to Gregor storming in that there weren't really a time to prepare. Maybe Elia told Rhaenys to hide (that's what I would do). Or maybe some other reason.

I forgot to add that Elia was supposed to pretend that the baby was Aegon even if he wasn't.

For me this argument from the faegon supporters is as weak as the Varys wouldn't lie to a dying man from Aegon is real supporters. Because there are reasons why these things could happen.

She could had tried tho right? I mean if she knew that her daughter was about to die would she be with the PissWater Prince?

And how would she know that? By the time the baby (Aegon or not) had been killed it was too late to get to Rhaenys. By the way, she likely would have thought Aegon was in far more danger as he was Rhaegar's heir. Rhaenys could have been spared and married off to some Lannister-friendly or Baratheon-friendly house. Heck, if Robert had been willing to wait a decade or so, he could have married Rhaenys. But they were never going to let Aegon live, so that baby boy was in the greatest danger.

It's also possible that she was hoping that someone else would be able to get Rhaenys out of the Red Keep, in which case the last thing she would have wanted was to lead Gregor Clegane to her daughter. Elia may not even have known that Lorch was there.

Did you read TPatQ?

In that, Queen Haelaena(? don't know how to write it) is faced with a similar question. Elia saved one of her kids, rather than dying with both. And I think she defended the Pisswater Prince in hope that she could still be rescued, or, at the very least, to make it look real.

Archived