Opinions on:Qyburn

Painful experiments performed on living human beings (likely including vivisection), even if the man has no malice in his heart while doing so, is Grade-A immoral and evil.

The fact that he reminds people of friendly grandfatherly types makes it extra creepy which is terrific (as in, I find him to be a terrific part of the ASoIaF cast), since dude's basically the Westerosi Josef Mengele.

Painful experiments performed on living human beings (likely including vivisection), even if the man has no malice in his heart while doing so, is Grade-A immoral and evil.

The fact that he reminds people of friendly grandfatherly types makes it extra creepy which is terrific (as in, I find him to be a terrific part of the ASoIaF cast), since dude's basically the Westerosi Josef Mengele.

Mengele is a perfect comp. Whether he is evil isn't up for debate he actively seeks out living bodies to experiment on. These experiments are basically an extended torture that ends with the death of said bodies.

I think he's weirdly, ironically, the only member loyal to Cersei of her small council. He was the only one who stood by her and didn't flee the city.

Or maybe he just really wanted to play with his brand new life-sized action figure

This is where what GRRM says comes to use. Qyburn is a Maester actually progressing though and learning more about humans all the time. You never know. One day a plague could hit Westeros and Qyburn knows the exact cure.

I actually like Qyburn. I wouldn't be surprised if Qyburn does indeed discover a lot of useful medical knowledge that will help human beings in the future.

Isn't Qyburn the guy who cruelly experiments with people who has been sent to him unwilling and undeserving? Even Jaime, whose hand and life he saved thinks the dude is creepy and shouldn't be trusted. Why this guy has any kind of sympathy? Actually, what's with the recent tendency to try to justify monsters who wouldn't bat an eyelash about murdering children? Is some kind of late hipster trend that I missing that looks for empathy towards villains because human are oh-so-complicated-not-really-evil? Didn't get the memo.

Actually, what's with the recent tendency to try to justify monsters who wouldn't bat an eyelash about murdering children? Is some kind of late hipster trend that I missing that looks for empathy towards villains because human are oh-so-complicated-not-really-evil? Didn't get the memo.

Such as Dany?

Isn't Qyburn the guy who cruelly experiments with people who has been sent to him unwilling and undeserving? Even Jaime, whose hand and life he saved thinks the dude is creepy and shouldn't be trusted. Why this guy has any kind of sympathy? Actually, what's with the recent tendency to try to justify monsters who wouldn't bat an eyelash about murdering children? Is some kind of late hipster trend that I missing that looks for empathy towards villains because human are oh-so-complicated-not-really-evil? Didn't get the memo.

uh i dont think anyone has sympathy for qyburn. he's barely a character, he's mostly just a plot device lol

Aside from the obvious answer that, no, this is not a recent tendency, unless you count "basically all of literature" as "recent".

More to the point, what makes Qyburn different is that no, actually, no one is looking for a sympathetic backstory for him. He was kicked out of the Citadel, but that's not really the source of much trauma. The fascination with Qyburn seems to be very similar to the fascination with Hannibal Lecter (the incarnation in the Silence of the Lambs movie). Or, and that's one of the few instances I actually approve of Nazi comparisons, the fascination some people still have for Josef Mengele or his thinly veiled stand-ins that crop up a lot (though I have to point out that I don't share it). Qyburn isn't sympathetic, he isn't to be pitied. There is no traumatic event in his past. He is doing it for science, and doesn't care how many corpses he leaves behind doing that.

ETA: And I also think that this is a good opportunity to point out that no, Mengele's experiments didn't actually offer any useful contributions to medical science. So Qyburn clearly has the higher ground here.

ETA: And I also think that this is a good opportunity to point out that no, Mengele's experiments didn't actually offer any useful contributions to medical science. So Qyburn clearly has the higher ground here.

Sadly, Mengele's experiments did contribute a lot to genetics and any expert in the field will tell you so. However, he is "the one who must not be named", so his name in almost never mentioned when his discoveries are academically discussed. And it shouldn't. He used human subjects, which allowed him to speed his research ahead of any global rival in a space of just few years.

Sadly, Mengele's experiments did contribute a lot to genetics and any expert in the field will tell you so. However, he is "the one who must not be named", so his name in almost never mentioned when his discoveries are academically discussed. And it shouldn't. He used human subjects, which allowed him to speed his research ahead of any global rival in a space of just few years.

Are you sure? I am not exactly well-versed in this, but from what I have heard Mengele's research never amounted to much (in scientific terms), because he suffered from massive confirmation bias and just ended up "proving" earlier anthropological theories that were flawed in itself. I am not saying he left no data at all, but I never got the impression that his experiments contributed to genetics in a meaningful way.

However, I am aware of the whole issue of scientific findings from other Nazi scientists obtained through forced human experimentation being later used for scientific reference.

Are you sure? I am not exactly well-versed in this, but from what I have heard Mengele's research never amounted to much (in scientific terms), because he suffered from massive confirmation bias and just ended up "proving" earlier anthropological theories that were flawed in itself. I am not saying he left no data at all, but I never got the impression that his experiments contributed to genetics in a meaningful way.

However, I am aware of the whole issue of scientific findings from other Nazi scientists obtained through forced human experimentation being later used for scientific reference.

Yep, I'm totally sure.

I like Qyburn as a character. He's a bit of a wildcard. I don't think he's loyal to anyone except himself and science, and right now cersie just because shes pretty much has given him free rain over the black cells (and the 4th basement) and a nice supply of test subjects.

But I did see a theory on youtube that said he and the brave companies are and have been working for Doran Martell this whole time. It's kinda of crackpot but it was kinda interesting. I think it was called " the dornish masterplan"

Archived