Will the ending of the show even resemble the ending of the books?

Impoverished Noble

The show is just a streamlined version of the books for the most part, so I think it'll take a different route but get to the same conclusion. GRRM has already told the show runners the ending.

I know he told them the ending but you can't just say the show is the streamlined version, they add a lot for no reason while simultaneously taking a lot of good parts out. For example, missendei and grey worm, that is soooo pointless, they added the hound vs Brienne fight for fan fiction and ratings. The worst offense however is the removal of the Tysha dynamic from Tyrion's story.

the ending perse will be the same. The road to it can be very very different. D&D's will be filled with unnecessary bloodshed, hate against women, victimization of them, stupid casting and deletion of great parts of the plot.

George's will be the way ASOIAF was meant to be played.

In that case, No. It won't be the same because the actual plot of the show has deviated so far from those in the books. For instance Brans arc. Jon raiding Crasters, Jojen dying, no Coldhands, etc. It's going to be a funhouse mirror image of the books ending a distorted version that still somewhat resembles that of the books.

I agree about Missandei and GW. I also wanna know how long it took Asha/Yara and her men to row their boats hundreds of miles across dry land. I realize that saying it's just streamlined isn't the best description, but more or less things have been adapted to make the story work better for an hour long episodic series.

I dunno. One part of me speculates that D&D will force their distorted version of events to fit into the same (or very similar) ending as the books, simply for the sheer notoriety of beating the books and thus boosting interest and ratings.

On the other hand, they can drastically change the ending (and could also claim it's the same as the books, and no one will be any the wiser until Dream comes out, by which point most won't care). This wouldn't surprise me, since D&D seem more interested now in writing their own story than actually following the books.

I think it's sad GRRM's won't be able to introduce the ending to the world through his books. The things that started it all

I wish the show would tell it's own story after adapting book 4/5, leaving 6 and 7 a mystery till they release, but i'v been told by people online that the deal HBO made with GRRM gives them access to the books ending

I don't know anything (Jon Snow :P) about the show but what my best friend told me, and it seems to me that there are too many differences between books and show. So, I know Martin told the producers how GoT end, but I think that TV show and books will follow different paths.

They know certain things. I’ve told them certain things. So they have some knowledge, but the devil is in the details. I can give them the broad strokes of what I intend to write, but the details aren’t there yet.

This is what Martin himself told Vanity Fair interviewer and I think that details are very important. ;)

Archived