September 2014 - Reading Thread

RedEyedGhost

I finally finished Shogun by James Clavell. Woah. Amazing book, but exhausting. If you're looking for an epic novel, then this should be your next read (assuming you're an idiot, like me, and have yet to read it).

Up next will be The Widow's House by Daniel Abraham, but I might sneak in a graphic novel or two before I start it.

I'm reading a collection of Poe's short stories. This probably will be the last book of fiction I'm reading till december, due to school.

I'm really amazed how many authors have been inspired by Poe, to the efect that even though it's the first time I'm reading him, I feel that I have already read something eerily similar before.

The Unreal And The Real.Volume 1- Where On Earth. Ursula K LeGuin.

A collection of her realist short stories. What can I say? Lover her writing style,experimentalism, humour and human observations. Although it was her decidedly unrealistic 'Buffalo Girls, Wont You Come Out Tonight' that was my particular favourite.

I finished Brent Weeks' The Broken Eye today. Generally his books aren't the best written but I find them good, quick, entertaining reads but I found this one a bit of a struggle. It seemed far more religion focused than the previous two, which I found fairly tedious, and since it's a religion he's just made up seemed a little unnecessary. A lot of the characters, who I think we're still supposed to see as generally likeable 'good' characters, are really starting to come off as fairly unpleasant as well. To be fair he might be going somewhere different with that, I'll have to see how it goes in the last book.

Had a shit August

Finishing up Renaults Alexander trilogy asap then maybe Once and Future King since I've never read it

I've always wanted to read the Alexander trilogy, but never got to it. Is it good? And is it historical fiction or a biography? The Once and Future King might seem a bit childish in the beginning, but after you got yourself into it, it's great.

After finishing Fool's Assassin on Saturday, I haven't wanted to start anything new. Good books do that to me. :) But I just saw on my calendar that I signed up to go to book club this Wednesday, so I suppose I better get started reading John Scalzi's Redshirts.

Wheel of time book eleven

That was a surprise,honestly. Didn't expect Egwene to be captured. I like the new Perrin. Needs more Rand (what was up with the timeline of 10?). The Seanchan are not an interesting enemy, to me. Especially now that Semirhage has supposedly destroyed their entire hierarchy. Darkfriends! Darkfriends everywhere! I was really enjoying the inside-the-tower anti-Black Ajah movement, but they had to go make it boring by including talk of outside events. Still, this is where Sanderson moved in right? I do think it is a vast improvement over the earlier books in terms of not repeating paragraphs of information.

Sanderson's first involvement is in book 12. Book 11 was the last one Jordan completed before he died and was far better paced than the previous few novels Jordan had written.

The Ace of Skulls by Chris Wooding was an immensely entertaining read, action packed but also hitting all the right emotional tones as well. Great finish to the series, I'll miss those characters.

Before that I'd finished Yellow Blue Tibia by Adam Roberts. I know this is generally praised a lot here but it honestly bored me to tears a few times, I fell asleep on it several nights in a row. The concept was somewhat interesting, I guess, but the book just didn't work for me at all.

I'll start the Sand omnibus by Hugh Howey next.

Finished The Crimson Campaign, which imo only improved upon the foundation laid in Promise of Blood. I think Blood Song will be up next; have been sitting on that book for some time now, and keep hearing plenty of good things about it and the sequel...

Yesterday I finished Angry Optimist by Lisa Rogak, it's a well-written and balanced look at the life and career of Jon Stewart. This was not a glorification nor bashing of Stewart, but a thorough look at his triumphs and failures, accomplishments and controversies, and everything in between. This was a good read.

I'm on to Eisenhower: A Life by Paul Johnson, it's only 144 pages so I don't know what to expect.

Year-long reading update:

The Complete Works of William Shakespeare: I'm still reading Antony and Cleopatra, I'm through Act III at the moment.

Just finished my re-read of the first three Culture books and I still find The Player of Games my favorite among them. Use of Weapons is still great but I can't say that I liked the twist that much.

I will read Son of the Morning by Mark Alder next.

Archived