September 2014 - Reading Thread

RedEyedGhost

I find Kennit fascinating. But then I was told that he gets worse and worse, so there is still time for me to start hating him.

On the other hand, I started with completely hating Malta,

and then she turned out okay.

She is indeed draining. I cried a lot at the end of Farseer

when Molly ends up with Burrich, it felt so wrong. Now I cannot wait to see what came of Nettle, somebody told me she appears in another book, I really wonder about her. Please do not spoil me. :P

I wasn't sure about Kennit at first, didn't like or despise him

but that changed after the rape scene, plus he pretty much uses everyone throughout the entire trilogy

I actually loved the end of Farseer. It's a great bittersweet ending.

and while he doesn't get to raise Nettle or Dutiful, he does have Hap and Nighteyes and his own life that he can choose to live however he wants. Burrich and Molly are happy, have a huge family they both want, and there is general peace in the Duchies. Not tied up nicely in a bow, but still happy

I wasn't sure about Kennit at first, didn't like or despise him

but that changed after the rape scene, plus he pretty much uses everyone throughout the entire trilogy

I actually loved the end of Farseer. It's a great bittersweet ending.

and while he doesn't get to raise Nettle or Dutiful, he does have Hap and Nighteyes and his own life that he can choose to live however he wants. Burrich and Molly are happy, have a huge family they both want, and there is general peace in the Duchies. Not tied up nicely in a bow, but still happy

What bothered me about Burrich and Molly was that I always saw Burrich more as a father figure to both Fitzy and later Molly, he took care of her and was much older than her. It just felt wrong somehow to have him take her lover's/husband's place and the place of Nettle's father, as opposed to grandfather.

What bothered me about Burrich and Molly was that I always saw Burrich more as a father figure to both Fitzy and later Molly, he took care of her and was much older than her. It just felt wrong somehow to have him take her lover's/husband's place and the place of Nettle's father, as opposed to grandfather.

I understand that, but older men fall in love with younger women all the time. What he really wanted was to support Nettle and Molly, but from that they fell in love, which is completely believable IMO, especially after what they both just went through and if you consider the issues she had w/ her father and Burrich's previous (non-existent) love life. I also think you're supposed to feel kind of weird about it because of the Fitz POV. I didn't 'love' that aspect, but like that they ended up happy together.

I finished The Crippled God (last volume of Malazan Book of the Fallen) two days back. That was exhausting but magnificent.

I am now finishing The Rogues anthology. I only have 2 stories left, including the one about Bast! (from Kingkiller Chronicle)

Then I will proceed to the last 2 Malazan books by ICE - Blood & Bone and Assail.

THEN, I am going to read something non-fantasy. Maybe Gone Girl.

Finished the Forever War which certainly satisfied a desire in me for more military sci-fi after watching Edge of Tomorrow this summer.

Not sure what I want to do next. My library finally has Leviathan Wakes available but I'm hesitant to engage another sci-fi book just yet (and one that's part of a series).

I made quick work of Carrie Vaughn's Kitty and the Silver Bullet and Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand. They were fun enough, and quick enough that I didn't mind the less than great -almost sloppy- writing much.

I'm going to read Ben Aaronovich's Broken Homes next. It's been a long time since I read the previous one in the series, hopefully it will be as fun as the rest of them.

Also, I'm going to have to reread 1-2-3 Magic, Effective Discipline for children 2-12 by Thomas Phelan because my husband thinks we're failing in our efforts to control the Spawn (true, about half the times) and that rereading this book will help us fix our mistakes and change this around. (Yes, I'm rolling my eyes. No, he doesn't normally read this thread and you cannot message him and tell him about this post. :P)

Moved on to Four, the short collection of Divergent stories by Veronica Roth. A quick, enjoyable read - and his POV didn't annoy me half as much this time. I'd like to see more POVs from that world.

I've been debating on reading this. I hated Allegiant so much and not because

Tris' death

I found it to be one of the more poorly written books I've ever read. And so, I cannot bring myself to read Four, despite liking the overall universe of the novels and his character. I may eventually give it a go; it's been almost a year since I read Allegiant and my hatred has started to fade a little.

I've been debating on reading this. I hated Allegiant so much and not because

Tris' death

I found it to be one of the more poorly written books I've ever read. And so, I cannot bring myself to read Four, despite liking the overall universe of the novels and his character. I may eventually give it a go; it's been almost a year since I read Allegiant and my hatred has started to fade a little.

Allegiant was the weakest book imo too. But Four was alright. It's really short (I read it in an evening), and gives a good insight into Tobias' history. Some kind of spoilery bits, mostly re the trilogy:

We have his choosing, and a bit of his reason for it, building upon what we already know about the abuse from the trilogy. It also gives more insight into the changing attitudes within Dauntless, and the upcoming attack on Abnegation.

Overall I enjoyed it. I picked it up for a few quid, and it's been a few months since I read the trilogy, so things were still relatively fresh in my mind. It's worth giving a go if you fancy a quick dip into the world.

I finished The Scarlet Tides, second book in the Moontide Quartet by David Hair. The first book, Mage's Blood, started off so slow but finally clicked for me by the halfway point. Scarlet Tides was much more consistently good; perhaps the lack of a 'magic school' sequence worked in its favor. It is fairly tropey, with the crusades aspect hidden not at all. But it focuses on characters from both sides. My biggest issue isn't the fault of the book; I almost never read these epic bricks of fantasy anymore- even as I was enjoying the book I was wondering how much longer it could possibly be.

Now reading The Young Elites by Marie Lu. Not had good luck with YA for a while so no high expectations going in.

Finished The Price of Spring last night. I loved it. Great conclusion to a great series. And that epilogue is beautiful.

I'm not sure what to read next. I think I'll do a classic as my year long challenge is sadly lacking in those.

Archived