September 2014 - Reading Thread

RedEyedGhost

I loved the Elenium series (and I think there was a sequel series that I also liked?), but I was in middle school. Have no idea how it would hold up, but I remember devouring them. Think I maybe even re-read them.

The Belgariad/Mallorean were among the first fantasy I read (along with Feist) when I was 19. Still have a fondness for them; flawed, but I really like the characters.

The first book of Elenium was good, the other two a little disappointing. The Tamuli (sequel trilogy to Elenium) was a disappointment. The characters kept repeating "Be nice dear" and had a giggle while arranging mass murder. Not as bad as Redemption of Althalus which is 'irredemable'.

Finished Fool's Errand on Friday. I knew what was going to happen, they foreshadowed it for 600 pages, I thought I prepared myself.

I went between laughing and weeping for the last 90 minutes of reading it. That's not hyperbole either. I've never had a book make me cry before.

Absolutely amazing and now I'm on to the Golden Fool.

Haven't posted here in forever. The other day I finished Benighted by Kit Whitfield. It's about a world where 99% of the population is lycanthropic. The main character is a bareback, a normal human, woman who seeks justice after a friend is mauled and then killed. The book is a bit of a mix of literary, dark urban fantasy, mystery, and romance all thrown together. I had some issues with it, one of which was extremely personal for me, but it's well written and fairly compelling so I think werewolf fans like RedEyedGhost and other readers ought to enjoy it.

I finished Broken Homes by Ben Aaronovich and while it was fun, it wasn't as much fun as the previous books. There wasn't much of a plot, more like various events going on. It felt as it was setting things up for the next one, which I'm hoping will be better.

I'm going to read Eleanor by Jason Gurley next.

Finished Assassin's Apprentice, which I really enjoyed. I've now started Stephen King's Different Seasons, which I'm also enjoying.

I'm also reading a book for school, Het Huis van de Moskee (The House of the Mosque), about a muslim family. It's not really my thing.

I'm kind of surprised you didn't jump into book 2 of the Farseer trilogy.

I'm kind of surprised you didn't jump into book 2 of the Farseer trilogy.

I'd ordered it before finishing the first book, but it hadn't arrived yet when I finished. I'd also wanted to start Different Seasons for a while now, thus I started that one.

Royal Assassin arrived half an hour ago, along with a mammoth copy of Words of Radiance. I look forward to reading it but I want to finish DS first (or the first novella of it, anyway).

I'd ordered it before finishing the first book, but it hadn't arrived yet when I finished. I'd also wanted to start Different Seasons for a while now, thus I started that one.

Royal Assassin arrived half an hour ago, along with a mammoth copy of Words of Radiance. I look forward to reading it but I want to finish DS first (or the first novella of it, anyway).

Definitely read Royal Assassin before WoR. I'd even order the 3rd book and read them both before WoR. WoR will be a breath of fresh air afterward and you'll need a nice easy read.

I finished Broken Homes by Ben Aaronovich and while it was fun, it wasn't as much fun as the previous books. There wasn't much of a plot, more like various events going on. It felt as it was setting things up for the next one, which I'm hoping will be better.

I did think Broken Homes felt a bit unfocused at first, but I did think the second half was a lot stronger. I could be wrong, but the plot summary for the next book (with Peter taking on a case in the countryside a long way from London) did make me think that it might not have too much relevance to the major story arc, although I'm sure we will get more about the Faceless Man in some of the future books.

Ah great, it's on the wishlist. Have you read it?

Yes, I read the entire series last summer and thoroughly enjoyed it.

It's been a long time since my last reading post so here it goes...

Yesterday I finished Cities of Empire by Tristram Hunt and though it was a very good historical look at the development and lasting legacies of the British Empire.

Today I started Tip and The Gipper by Chris Matthews, although some may know Matthews as a liberal pundit on MSNBC he worked for House Speaker Tip O'Neill from 1981-86 when Tip worked with and against President Reagan during that time as well as being a speechwriter for President Carter previous to joining O'Neill's staff. So far Matthews is being pretty fair to both men, he's given more page space to O'Neill so far only to introduce him to the general reader who might know more of Reagan and either can't remember or even know who Tip O'Neill was. So far I have high hopes for this book.

Year-long reading update:

The Complete Works of William Shakespeare: I finished Pericles, Prince of Tyre and found it meh overall, all the resolutions happening in Act V was a tad annoying. I'm currently through Coriolanus Act III Scene I, I had never actually heard of this play until I made out my reading schedule and so far it's interesting though the titular character seems like a stuck-up jerk.

I finally finished GRRM's Rogues anthology. I'm glad I got this one in the library as there was more meh stories than great stories. The highlights were Scott Lynch, Patrick Rothfuss, Mathew Hughes and Steve Saylor. Lynch is the only author I have read before.
I'm halfway through The White Road by Lynn Flewelling. Not a lot happening aside from traveling from one location to another and being chased by unknown people.

Winterbirth-Brian Ruckley.

Mixed bag really. The writing ranges from okay to actually rather good. Particularly when in descriptive mode.

It's very generic though. All the cliches of Swords and Sorcery are present and the characterisation is mostly wafer thin.

For some reason though I greatly enjoyed it, perhaps a combination of fairly decent storytelling and the fact that I don't read this sort of fantasy that often and so nostalgia might be playing a part. Will most likely read the sequel.

Archived