Martin's "Favorite Character" post.

Ser Daegon

at least he's starting to write again rather than slack off like he was for so long.

If by "slacking off" you mean writing three novellas and editing several anthologies and then dragging his ass around the world a few times to meet his fans, then yeah.

I absolutely agree with you.

Except that Arya is learning from the Faceless Men for a reason.

And we are back with the "Big Four" who will most probably live well into the last book and some of them will even survive until the end, they won't die all four.

Any other character is game.

I'd definitely agree with that. My mistake in leaving Arya out. I'm posting from my cell so I'm pretty lazy when it comes to long messages, I wasn't trying to keep typing until the book comes out lol.

By the way, I'm new here so hello everyone, valar morghulis, and I look forward to reading everyone's predictions/speculation.

It's Barristan... GRRM has lots of affection for Ser Grandfather, it shows in how he's written. He gave him an appropriate death, sword-in-hand, fighting for something he believed was right. Maybe he also gave Victarion his glorious fight he always dreamed of.

His last (published) chapter, talking to his newly made knights, gives so much the feeling that the end is near...

Just sayin'

I really hope this isn't mourning over Ser Barry if only because of what that means for the progress on the book. My money is on Tyrion.

While writing A Dance with Dragons he out right posted how he really wanted to add two Arianne chapters to his story because there would be "a huge event" that would need a response from Dorne. That too is a spoiler, without really giving anything away.

Wait, what? Is that already a confirmation Arianne will bite it?

• 2 weeks later...

Wait, what? Is that already a confirmation Arianne will bite it?

She is not in danger, she is either in Dorne, or with Aegon. I suspect the huge event is the invasion of Aegon which forces Doran to pick a side before he knows about Quentyn.

Arianne will be safe for now, her nieces in the capital ( and brother) on the other hand... But they are so sly and can take care of themselves.

Doran will not suddenly die either, he is well protected and you don't just die out of gout. If he were sick he would prepare Arianne and plan everything.

Quentyns death could be a huge event as well. It wil have consequences for Dany.

The Great Gatsby clip makes me think of Littlefinger, and he is someone I believe actually will die in WoW unlike some of these other suggestions. Was pov mentioned somewhere else, or was it assumed along with the assumption this blog post means a character in ASOIAF just got written out?

I really doubt its Tyrion, he's on the character developing toward something path that Dany, Jon, and Bran are. I can't see any of those dying before the end. Its too early for Arya, Jaime, and a few others to check out, even though I could see them dying at some point. Some characters are on a shorter path, but clearly not near the end of that journey.

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

So long as men remember the wrongs done to their forebears, no peace will ever last. So we go on century after century...

It's probably Jaime.

I have yet to see a theory realistically explain how he is to escape Catelyn's fury.

I hate to say it but I think it's Brienne. He said he felt sympathy for her, she's a very good person in the series so I can see how he'd be sad about killing her. ( I know he has said that she has a longer journey to go, but that doesn't mean he doesn't kill her towards the end)

edited it because beagle puppy trompled my keyboard and posted a bunch of gobblygook.

and edited because I should have read entire thread before posting because his posting was explained. Doh!

Writers start out as readers.

So when Martin says "Favorite character", it doesn't have to mean a character which he created, and in this case it doesn't, it means the character in Gatsby who was the aspiring author and the book's narrator.

• 4 months later...

Oh no, Cersei :crying:

I mean... Aeron :crying:

I mean... Areo :crying:

I mean... Melisandre :crying:

Why does he always take away the good ones? :crying: :crying: :crying:

If his intention was to do that, Davos would be a goner long ago.

I honestly think the "main" characters are safe until at least the last book. Dany, Jon, Tyrion, Arya, Bran, and Sansa. Second tier characters I've seen GRRM mention as favorites; Sam and Davos......

god knows we could be wrong, but I strongly believe this is correct.

Archived