Is there anything you struggled to visualise in the books?

Deed

Hey... Despite GRRM's amazingly descriptive writing, is there anything from the series that you could never quite picture in your head?

I suppose the show may have helped (I appreciated seeing the geography of castle black in ep 9)

Some of the art is truly amazing and far surpassed my imagining of some of the characters/ locations etc.

What about you ?!

alot of the wild clothes that the people of Slaver's Bay wear. GRRM would get real descriptive of their hairstyles and clothes, but I always had trouble imagining how wild they actually looked. I pretty much had a general view in my head similar to Varys from the show after I started watching the show

I have trouble with relative distances and the size of land masses in general.

And stuff like, "The Iron Islands combined are about the size of Ireland" just confuses me more.

I have a similar problem but it was due to the show. It made the distance between Winterfell and King's Landing appear very short.

I can visualize buildings, landscapes, food etc, but never the faces of people. I just have some vague idea. The show shaped most of my character perceptions. But somehow the Arya in my mind is thinner than Maisie, Jon's face more like Ben Barnes, Mance Rayder younger than Ciaran Hinds, Oberyn with a widow's peak and long dark hair and very different from Pedro Pascal, etc. But these are the few examples. The rest I just note to self as 'Sansa-pretty girl, Hot Pie-fat, Ned-noble face, Jaime-handsome knight' etc. I never pictured them.

Archived