Rhaegar: love him or hate him?

James Steller

On the plus side, he was apparently a very noble man who inspired respect and admiration. He was a brave fighter and a lover of education. He was also concerned about Westeros's fate based on his interests in the prophecies.

On the negative side, he cheated on his beloved wife with Lyanna Stark, not only breaking his fidelity but also starting a devastating war which ravaged Westeros. It's aftermath then led to even more devastation through the War of the Five Kings and beyond.

Hard to love/hate him all I can say is that he was a very charismatic character but not really a role model, he ran away/kidnapped a noble lady who was betrothed to another, he left his wife and his childrens behind to fulfill a prophecy and he did pretty much nothing to stop the rebellion, he fought only 1 battle when it was already out of control.

Hard to love/hate him all I can say is that he was a very charismatic character but not really a role model, he ran away/kidnapped a noble lady who was betrothed to another, he left his wife and his childrens behind to fulfill a prophecy and he did pretty much nothing to stop the rebellion, he fought only 1 battle when it was already out of control.

Well that's the weird thing, he seems to have adored Lyanna and said her name when she died, and I feel like we're supposed to feel sorry for him but I can't help but wonder whether he felt any remorse for what he put his family through. Or the kingdoms at large for that matter.

I feel we don't really know enough about him to make a judgment one way or the other.

I wonder if GRRM will give us more of an idea about his character in the next book. At the very least i want Howland Reed to show up and reveal what happened at the tower of joy. Though I have a fear that GRRM will kill him before he gets the chance to do so.

Archived