What about Rickon?

Little Member

So, what is Davos gonna find in mysterious Skagos, and what will he do with Rickon once he finds him? Will we be seeing unicorns? Will Davos take Rickon to the Wall to be reunited with his brother? Will they get ambushed by slavers on the way back? There seems to be too little story left for them to spend much time in the free cities as slaves. Maybe they will find friends with ships that will route the slavers and rescue the freefolk having been rounded up by the slavers. Maybe they can rescue the NW that were laid low by the storms.

I think the idea was for Davos to bring him back to Wyman Manderly, who would then proclaim him the Heir to Winterfell. I don't see any reason why Davos would come back with him to the NW, unless he thought Stannis would be there, in which case he will realize Stannis is dead and then probably go back to Manderly anyway.

Who knows. Rickon may be roasting on a spit, or worshipped as a god by the Skagosi because Shaggydog ate one of their chieftains.

Best course of action is: grab the boy and run. Well, not so much "grab" but coax into confidence (brab would annoy Mr. Direwolf and Ms. Osha, either of which could probably tear Davos apart).

However, I think something big is up there, with the inhabitants, the Hardhome refugees, the "dead things in the water". All in all, Davos is going to have a perilous time, and probably nothing will go as planned.

I've heard lots of people talk about Skagos as though they're going to join the Northern cause and fight alongside the rest of the North for the Starks, but honestly, talk like that always makes me scratch my head. Everything implied about Skagos suggests that these barbarians will do nothing to help the Starks. They'll probably just be an obstacle for Davos to avoid while rescuing Rickon.

Or hell, maybe Rickon will go native, Lord of the Flies style. Imagine having to make a lord of Winterfell out of that.

I doubt Davos will be able to make a round trip to Skagos in winter. He might make it there, but idk if he'll make it back to the mainland, with or without Rickon. It's also possible that there's a kraken plotline at some point, a kraken was reported off the Fingers at the same time that "a three-headed dragon hatched in Qarth."

Like the Mountain Clans, the Skagosi will starve in Winter without being able to take refuge in the Stark's winter town. Rickon's brother is their tree-god king, Rickon is almost certainly warging the shit out Shaggydog IMO. Rickon is essentially a meal ticket, so like the Mountain Clans, their best shot at survival is to hitch a ride with him down south, make a literal meal of the Starks enemies and get some much needed food and earn the gratitude of a legendary house to boot. Fuck, a few of them might live to see the Spring.

So, what is Davos gonna find in mysterious Skagos, and what will he do with Rickon once he finds him? Will we be seeing unicorns? Will Davos take Rickon to the Wall to be reunited with his brother? Will they get ambushed by slavers on the way back? There seems to be too little story left for them to spend much time in the free cities as slaves. Maybe they will find friends with ships that will route the slavers and rescue the freefolk having been rounded up by the slavers. Maybe they can rescue the NW that were laid low by the storms.

Will Osha and Davos see eye-to-eye as to what is best for Rickon?

Manderly gave Davos a very difficult task but if anyone can do it, Davos can. The journey, the natives, avoiding getting his throat ripped out by Shaggydog, persuading Osha that he's trustworthy, the journey back. I can't decide whether Davos is more likely to take Rickon to Stannis or Manderly. The deal was to take him to Manderly but Davos being loyal may take him to Stannis. But he has to find Stannis first. The best way to get to Stannis would probably be via Eastwatch-by-the-Sea but he shouldn't take Rickon to the Wall - too many uncertain loyalties. A Tully boy with a direwolf is a bit of a giveaway to anybody who knows anything. So I can see that his best solution and the safest option is to take him to White Harbour like he said and then Manderly can't accuse him of breaking the deal (unless he says that Bran's his liege lord).

I'm very much hoping to see unicorns :) Will the Skagosi fight for the Starks? No way of knowing either way. I wonder if Osha has links to Skagos - it's a strange place to take him. As for slavers - 3 slaves are not worth the risk of getting your throat ripped out by a direwolf.

I'm not sure we'll ever see Rickon again (see Shaggydog theory), but the fact that Davos is looking for him makes it more likely we see him again.

The "shaggydog theory" is one of the more ridiculous things this community has ever come up with (which is saying something!)

A shaggy dog story hinges on initially building up hype and buzz and anticipation to a severe degree and then not paying it off. That is the opposite of what GRRM is doing with Rickon. It's us, the fandom, who get silly with hyperbole and crackpot theories about how awesome Rickon is going to be when he's all grown up and what mystical powers he may already have or is acquiring via hanging out on Skagos. Whatever we may think of ourselves, in this context we don't count. We are not his collaborators. We're just fans of his work.

GRRM has kept him completely off-page for 3 of the 5 books so far (and barely showed him off in the first two), buried in the vault of Spare Plot Threads (In Case Of Writing Yourself Into A Corner Break Glass). That's not building up the hype.

[That being said I am all in on Rickon The Six Year Old Cannibal King/God Of Skagos action and Davos' perilous journey to somehow convince The Skagosi and/or Osha to let him go... or decide to come off the island with him.]

Rickon is really too young to be much of a factor in and of himself during the scope of this story, so we won't likely see a lot of him nor will he actually do much himself but he's of inestimable symbolic value to other characters as a rallying point. Rickon is, after all, the one of the 5 Stark kids who both can continue the bloodline and the magic name, and has (in terms of the narrative) nothing better to do. That's way off in the future (after this story ends, MAYBE a "years later" post-script of an epilogue chapter in the final book) but it does explain not only his survival, but why such a seemingly superfluous character even exists in the first place.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Benjen was being persued by wildlings and tried to get back to the wall by booking passage with some smugglers. Then the ship he was on was caught in a storm and shipwrecked on Skagos and Benjen's been marooned there ever since. It would explain his absence and make it plausible to bring him back into the story when Davos goes looking for Rickon.

The "shaggydog theory" is one of the more ridiculous things this community has ever come up with (which is saying something!)

A shaggy dog story hinges on initially building up hype and buzz and anticipation to a severe degree and then not paying it off. That is the opposite of what GRRM is doing with Rickon.

I completely agree. If Rickon is a Shaggydog story it is because many people on here over-egg the "Rickon will be a wild savage" line (the classic formula would then be for someone to say at the end "oh, but Rickon isn't THAT wild").

Is Rickon a story that has been built up and built up with ever increasing hype in the text as per GRRM? No, exactly the opposite. There is at best minor foreshadowing of his future savageness. He is the forgotten Stark - as such, I'm pretty sure he'll come out of nowhere to play a fairly important role.

As for Davos, he will return Rickon to Wyman Manderley, to ensure Manderley's support for Stannis - then he can go back to see Stannis!

I do personally think he will be fairly savage though.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Benjen was being persued by wildlings and tried to get back to the wall by booking passage with some smugglers. Then the ship he was on was caught in a storm and shipwrecked on Skagos and Benjen's been marooned there ever since. It would explain his absence and make it plausible to bring him back into the story when Davos goes looking for Rickon.

I hope that we will see Benjen again, but I have the bad feeling that when we do, he will have very blue eyes (which will be very sad). If he is there with Rickon however, I'm hoping that he can act as a "Stark" influence on Rickon- though that said, perhaps it is time to return the likes of Brandon Ice Eyes rather than Eddard for the North to survive.

But as for Rickon, I think that he will be more of a plot device than an actual character, the one that is used to continue that Stark line and who is used as the symbol to rally the Northerners to their beloved Stark overlords.

Archived