What about Rickon?

Little Member

I'm not sure we'll ever see Rickon again (see Shaggydog theory), but the fact that Davos is looking for him makes it more likely we see him again.

It would, but we still have to have the long, drawn out story. As of now, Rickon doesn't have a story at all. But he may get one in TWOW. He doesn't have a POV, and that makes him less important to House Stark, and thus less likely to survive.

But, just my humble opinion, Jon Snow will be only Stark GRRM kills from here out. I'm betting.

I do think Rickon will end up getting killed. But the color of his direwolf's eyes is intriguing. Bloodraven explained to Bran that the wee people of the forest had yellow eyes but their wise persons had red or green eyes. Shaggydog has green eyes, Ghost has red eyes, and thers had yellow eyes.

I do think Rickon will end up getting killed. But the color of his direwolf's eyes is intriguing. Bloodraven explained to Bran that the wee people of the forest had yellow eyes but their wise persons had red or green eyes. Shaggydog has green eyes, Ghost has red eyes, and thers had yellow eyes.

Rickon can't die! That would mean House Stark dies in the male line and that would be terrible. What makes you think he'll end up getting killed? Do you think the northmen will crown him? Or do you believe the shaggydog story theory? Or do you think GRRM just likes killing Starks? Maybe the green eyes symbolises some greenseeing abilities - there were hints to that in the first two books, even though Jojen ignores Rickon completely.

Rickon can't die! That would mean House Stark dies in the male line and that would be terrible. What makes you think he'll end up getting killed? Do you think the northmen will crown him? Or do you believe the shaggydog story theory? Or do you think GRRM just likes killing Starks? Maybe the green eyes symbolises some greenseeing abilities - there were hints to that in the first two books, even though Jojen ignores Rickon completely.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/90950-the-last-hero-tale-by-old-nan-foreshadows-the-deaths-of/

Rickon, Davos, Osha, Shaggydog and a Skagosi host will show up in time to smash the Boltons in the rear.

I think he will be imprisoned first as is peculiar to him. He will bump into Rickon and Osha by luck, and he may know the words to sway Osha, and Shaggydog may give him a sniff test which he passes. I think Rickon may grow close to him as Davos is practically Ned-lite.

Will Osha and Davos see eye-to-eye as to what is best for Rickon?

Osha will be like Rickon's Sandor. Davos will claim he is going to keep the boy safe. She will say, "where is safe? His brothers are dead, his sisters are dead. His house is in ruins... yada, yada, yada. knock down drag out brawl. One thing's for sure, he won't be going to Essos. There's not enough story left.

I think the idea was for Davos to bring him back to Wyman Manderly, who would then proclaim him the Heir to Winterfell. I don't see any reason why Davos would come back with him to the NW, unless he thought Stannis would be there, in which case he will realize Stannis is dead and then probably go back to Manderly anyway.

Wyman is not likely to live out the battle for Winterfell. There's no way he'll be there in White Harbor when Davos returns. If he don't get sidetracked. I like the idea he musters a force at White Harbor, finding Manderly still gone and slams Bolton from the south.

Wyman is not likely to live out the battle for Winterfell. There's no way he'll be there in White Harbor when Davos returns. If he don't get sidetracked. I like the idea he musters a force at White Harbor, finding Manderly still gone and slams Bolton from the south.

I often get the feeling Lord Too Fat never meant to leave Winterfell/The Bolton Wedding Party alive. His actions there have an aura of a man with No Fucks Left To Give, and all his concern and detail for securing his son's safe return and his clandestine naval buildup seem like setting up the family [business] to go on into the future without him.

He knows he and all of Bolton's wedding guests double as hostages. So he sends the least valuable/most expendable member of his house to be that hostage; himself. Value further diminished if/when he dies and Bolton has no Manderly hostage at all (but plenty of Manderly-sworn troops in the immediate area to cause a ruckus). Winter is coming and winter is death, anyway, so why not bathe in Bolton blood and eat a Frey or two and go out on top? :)

The shaggy dog theory never made any sense. If anything knowing George it means that Rickon will be huge to the plot. I don't how he personally would effect the plot but i have four ideas- none of them which has much evidence out side of manderly and double dealing the Lannisters. That fat man is out for Southron blood and everybody knows it.

1.- Rickon is used as a bait and switch- Davos brings RIckon to winterfell and the battle is done. Mandlery somehow takes RIckon and secures him as a hostage to control the north. This would be a little dark for Mander's but it would be a great twist.

2. Rickon becomes king- evidence- We know his name sake had Southron ambitions. Jon Snow still has dibs in my opinion but Rickon has the closest age to the Heir of Stannis- Shireen.

3.Rickon Marries a Manderly- There is a lot of guess work here but this one makes the most sense from Mandelrys point of view. You get a back up King of Stark blood or you get a first canidate. Removing Stannis isn't hard- after he gets the loan you put a knife into the back and lock down the North.

4. Rickon is an after thought- Rickon becomes king in the north/ Westoros almost as an after thought. This hinges on Stannis, Daenery's, and Aegon biting the dust by the end of ADOS. Bran would have to stay in the North and any of the above canidates for marriage are alive. Jon would have to not claim the crown, die, or marry an other.

This discussion brings up interesting food for thought. I have a feeling, though, that Rickon will be the King's blood that Melisandre eventually burns. I don't know how he would be able to avoid Stannis, with Davos bringing him to Manderly or Stannis regardless. I think his death by fire, unjust thought it may be, will probably do something very important (particularly waking some dragon).

I think Rickon was too young when he went to Skaggos. He was also too wild. He will probably throw another tantrum and refuse to go with Davos. I think it's a way to keep Davos laying low so Manderly doesn't get caught in his deception (of not really killing Davos) and if it works out in the end, then Manderly looks like the good guy. He's playing both sides by saving Davos and possibly Rickon and pretending to have killed Davos. That way both sides think he has been loyal no matter who wins.

I think he will be imprisoned first as is peculiar to him. He will bump into Rickon and Osha by luck, and he may knwo the words to sway Osha, and Shaggydog may give him a sniff test which he passes. I think Rickon may grow close to him as Davos is practically Ned-lite.

Agreed. I especially like the idea of Davos developing fatherly emotions for Rickon. He thinks that he was not a good enough father to his sons. He didnot see his youngest sons much and they probably do not know him. He feels remorse for how Devan is influenced by Mel.

I think he will be imprisoned first as is peculiar to him. He will bump into Rickon and Osha by luck, and he may knwo the words to sway Osha, and Shaggydog may give him a sniff test which he passes. I think Rickon may grow close to him as Davos is practically Ned-lite.

Or maybe Rickon kinda knows Davos will come.

I imagine Rickon is an honored guest of Lord Magnar in Kingshouse (heh). Magnar seems to be the most powerful of the three Skagosi noble Houses as Donal Noye remembers hearing the Skagosi talk of him, only him, when he was there and it's suggested the Night's King could have beenma Magnar.

As to what Davos will do, I imagine he will convince Rickon, Osha to sail to Eastwatch with an honor guard courtesy of Lord Magnar, and then ride to Castle Black, seeing as crossing the Bite again is too risky with the heir to WF on board.

I often get the feeling Lord Too Fat never meant to leave Winterfell/The Bolton Wedding Party alive. His actions there have an aura of a man with No Fucks Left To Give, and all his concern and detail for securing his son's safe return and his clandestine naval buildup seem like setting up the family [business] to go on into the future without him.

He knows he and all of Bolton's wedding guests double as hostages. So he sends the least valuable/most expendable member of his house to be that hostage; himself. Value further diminished if/when he dies and Bolton has no Manderly hostage at all (but plenty of Manderly-sworn troops in the immediate area to cause a ruckus). Winter is coming and winter is death, anyway, so why not bathe in Bolton blood and eat a Frey or two and go out on top? :)

This.

Or maybe Rickon kinda knows Davos will come.

That is an interesting thought. Might be possible Bran has been speaking to Rickon this entire time, via the net. Could be Bran doing so, has been to only thing keeping Rickon from going completely off the deep end.

Also, it would be a laugh out loud moment; to see Davos approaching Rickon in POV. Then before Davos gets a word out; Rickon says "welcome Lord Davos, I've been expecting you."

Bonus points if Rickon looks like Jack Sparrow in the second Pirates movie.

I have serious Rickon problems. Most of them due to the fact that he hasn't been so much as a blip on the radar in the past few books.

When last seen, he was quite a damaged little kid. Shaggydog's aggression is a kind of worrying symbol of this. I have always seen the misnomer of his direwolf's name as suggesting how far divorced the child is from the reality of the Stark's situation. It suggests his confusion.

But what is he now? Or more importantly, what can he ever be? He is still too young to be a fighter, and has neither Arya's kill skills, Sansa's potential for politicking, or Bran's Weirwoody goodness. Is he still too young to develop into any of these things? I sometimes even wonder whether Rickon might be a victim of Martin's scrapping of the 'five year gap'....

When, or indeed if, he reappears it's going to be a hell of a job to re-integrate him into the story; an even bigger one to re-integrate him into the Starks.

Not that I'm saying GRRM can't do it.... :wideeyed:

Rickon is going to come back and grow into a warrior of untold savagery , I don't think he will leave the care of Howland Reed until WInterfell is retaken. Assuming that Stannias ice lake trick plays out and Lord to Fat holds true, Rickon will return to Winterfell with Howland Reed, where they meet John (who does not die if you dont see/read the death they live just GRRM's way)Howland tells John about his real mother and father aka heir to the Throne. This Forces Stannias to attempt to kill John again but will be betrayed by the red women who realizes John is key or so she thinks.

Archived