Bronn's past (discussion not crackpot)

Equilibrium

Where do you think Bronn came from?

He obviously uses water dancer style of fighting, so probably he was in Essos, as a mercenary Disputed Lands are best pick. Do you think he served with some of the major companies? Is it possible he has some conection to Braavos or Pentos?

He is also described to have wolfish appearance and with dark hair and eyes he has a lots of Stark looks, so is it possible to be some bastard or distant relative?

Will his past turn up soon, like when sellsword companies converge in Westeros or if we find out he was former employee of some major Essosi figure.

I think Bronn is just Bronn. Not everyone is a secret Targ or a secret Stark or whatever. If GRRM does have that sort of a reveal in mind (which I doubt), I suppose he could be a descendant of Rodrik Stark aka "The Wandering Wolf". He's known to have fought with the second sons and so he probably had some bastards.

I don't see the water dancer style in him

I see more a talented,smart and skilled mercenary that found a way to kill knights/well equipped opponents in expensive heavy armor, and developed his style capitalize his natural advantages: fight smartness, agility and dexterity

No I didn't mean secret Stark, just some connection, which would be OK and remainder that not all Starks are nice, and Arya meeting great-great-uncle Bronn would be hilarious, teh would talk about water dancing and killing people for money :D

But some connections with mercenaries can be nice asset to the story, especially with Tyrion being in sellsword company with other nearby

I don't see the water dancer style in him

I see more a talented,smart and skilled mercenary that found a way to kill knights/well equipped opponents in expensive heavy armor, and developed his style capitalize his natural advantages: fight smartness, agility and dexterity

Dude, I thought this is taken for granted, so much hints

The steel must be part of your arm," the bald man told her. "Can you drop part of your arm

She had seen Bronn fight on the high road; it was no accident that he had survived the journey while other men had died. He moved like a panther, and that ugly sword of his seemed a part of his arm

There is more parallels but I'm too lazy to search for them, basically Cat/Tyrion describing Bronn fighting use the same phrases as Syrio/Arya describing water dancer style

I don't think that statement has to do with water dancing so much as it has to do with being a warrior.

I would describe a natural swordsman as fighting like the sword is another body part or extension of their arm, while heavily trained swordsmen I'd describe as if they are working with a tool or instrument.

Where do you think Bronn came from?

He obviously uses water dancer style of fighting, so probably he was in Essos, as a mercenary Disputed Lands are best pick. Do you think he served with some of the major companies? Is it possible he has some conection to Braavos or Pentos?

He is also described to have wolfish appearance and with dark hair and eyes he has a lots of Stark looks, so is it possible to be some bastard or distant relative?

Will his past turn up soon, like when sellsword companies converge in Westeros or if we find out he was former employee of some major Essosi figure.

Wow, so many flaws and assumptions thrown there ... be more cautious, weak people like me might get an heart attack.

Dude, I thought this is taken for granted, so much hints

There is more parallels but I'm too lazy to search for them, basically Cat/Tyrion describing Bronn fighting use the same phrases as Syrio/Arya describing water dancer style

Nah, some concept of fight are just universal

Bronn is a lean "speed type" of dude that in many situations can't overpower his opponents, be them huge warriors or heavy armored knights, so as fighter he adapted and focused on his strong points

Good balance, quickness and dexterity are universally seen as good quality by skilled fighters/warriors... combine that with timing, range sense and you have the formula to hit and don't be hit, wich is the most basic principle of fighting

If anything skilled fighters (not skinny mcdojo nerds, i mean skilled strong good shape fighters) tend to despise brawlers that only rely on strenght

Also "that ugly sword" does'nt sound like the elegant rapier-style sword used by Bravos, just sound like a simple and cheap looking (but probably good balanced and sharp knowing Bronn) westerosi sword

Believe me, as italian (that have dark brown hair/eyes and wolwish face, lol) i will like Bronn, one to my very favourite characters to be bravosian or from free cities... but he sound westerosi as fuck to me :D

I said it was hypothetic discussion and not a theory.

Water dancing is not a theory, it's a fact, only way it could be more obvious is for 2-5 POVs look at Bronn fight and say "It's the water dancer style, alright" and that doesn't prove anything except the Bronn is smart and know good fighting style when he sees one, and adapts it to his day-to-day purposes

Ok, let's put it this way then: Cat sees Bronn fight quite a bit. She makes no comment about a strange stance or fighting style, and she's a highborn who has undoubtedly been exposed to knights and warriors training before. This hypothetical discussion doesn't have a lot of weight behind it.

Ok, let's put it this way then: Cat sees Bronn fight quite a bit. She makes no comment about a strange stance or fighting style, and she's a highborn who has undoubtedly been exposed to knights and warriors training before. This hypothetical discussion doesn't have a lot of weight behind it.

:) I think Cat would be more able at distiguishing stiches styles and that wouldn't be able to ditsinguish a bastard sword from a true born one :)

No offense meant: IMO it is only that if you are not interested in smth you just don't notice things..

EDIT mispellings.

Althought I'd argue defeating Vardis Egen isn't a great feat-using a borrowed sword, heavy armour and old plus fighting in close conditons

Yes, Vardis had many disadvantages, but he was not some ordinary fighter. I am sure that to lead the personal guard of Jon Arryn, Vardis Egen had to be a knight with more than average fighting skills (and he was very likely a veteran of Robert's Rebellion). His best days were probably over at the time of the duel, but he had to be a talented warrior. (As much as we know, all the High Lords use good fighters as the captains of their guards e. g. Areo Hotah, Jory Cassel, Ser Robyn Ryger... Vardis was likely not an exception.)

Bronn danced farther to his left

Bronn slid around him, quick as a cat

He moved like a panther, and that ugly sword of his seemed a part of his arm

To me, parallels are obvious with all animal comparison and sword part of the arm, and dancing and sideface stance and all, and honestly I am set in this matter, it's nice subtle writing, no other fights I recall have that detailed comparison to characteristics of animals, Jamie never charged like lion nor Oberyn's strikes are swift as that of the snake.

To all of you who don't believe me I propose the comparative reread of all GoT chapters with Bronn and all with Syrio and post-meeting Syrio Arya

:) I think Cat would be more able at distiguishing stiches styles and that wouldn't be able to ditsinguish a bastard sword from a true born one :)

No offense meant: IMO it is only that if you are not interested in smth you just don't notice things..

EDIT mispellings.

No offense, but your opinion is founded on nothing but similar terms used to describe something, and in this case, it's as vague as 'making a sword part of your arm', which was never a description of the water dancing style as opposed to a description of holding a sword right. I'll believe Bronn uses water dancing when another soldier calls him out on it.

Archived