Football LXXXVI - Transfer window aftermath

baxus

Let's continue the discussion.

EDIT:

From the previous thread, by Ser Lucious Left-Foot

If UEFA punished Legia right away, it's a little sad for them, and it's just a scape goat effect, they'll get over it. But if Celtic issued a protest and only then did the UEFA chose to punish them, I think in that particular case, following the rules would be a lack of contextual sportsmanship. Because all in all, if a mistake didn't change the fact that a team won (especially in that fashion), I think what happened on the field should prevail.

There's not a single reason why it would make any difference one way or the other.

Like polishgenius, I haven't heard that Celtic issued a protest and asked for an inquiry after the other team breaking the rules but even if they did they would've been within their rights.

Ok, my bad, then.

I was led to believe that by youtube commenters on a Ultras World video on the Legia. Trusting them was probably poor judgement on my part.

I still thinks it would have made a difference though, but if we disagree on that premise, we won't agree on the problem, so I think it's best if we leave it at that ^_^

A funny(?) subplot to this whole saga is that both teams, by some twist of fate, have Norwegian managers, and Ronny Deila looks incredibly sheepish and ashamed of the whole thing here. It also lends credence to the suggestion that Celtic did not instigate this mess.

About Manchester United transfers this summer , it feels we have gone the Real Madrid way . Yes we probably did sign a star player every other summer when it was needed but this just feels different . Something like other big spenders do , it is just going to be a completely different team now .

You did 100%. It's the panic of not making Champions League last year and should have been completely expected. United is the 3rd biggest club in the world. It's not allowed for them to be wallowing in 7th so you bring in the best manager available and spend 153m in a single transfer window. I don't know if United will gel in time to truly compete for the title, but if they sign Falcao permanently next year, they'll be a legit title contender.

Still don't understand why they sold Welbeck to Arsenal though. We needed him more than they needed to sell him. It must have been his influence.

I'm not sold on this United team making top four atm. The defense isn't really good enough (yes, that goes for us, too).

I didn't think Liverpool's was either last season but they turned it on by outscoring everyone. United could do the same if Falcao gets acclimated quickly with Di Maria feeding him. They can be so deadly.

Point is, I think they go on a run at some point that might be enough to put them in the discussion. And with Arsenal's defense, they may take #4 over them. One injury and we're hurting. Two injuries and we're done.

I didn't think Liverpool's was either last season but they turned it on by outscoring everyone. United could do the same if Falcao gets acclimated quickly with Di Maria feeding him. They can be so deadly.

Point is, I think they go on a run at some point that might be enough to put them in the discussion. And with Arsenal's defense, they may take #4 over them. One injury and we're hurting. Two injuries and we're done.

It's a possibility, sure, but I don't see Suarez-level talent up front. Also, both Falcao and di Maria need, as you say, to get acclimated.

Plus, of course, that United have looked completely toothless up front their first games. They may be fine for the season, but I'm doubting it as of now.

It's a possibility, sure, but I don't see Suarez-level talent up front. Also, both Falcao and di Maria need, as you say, to get acclimated.

Plus, of course, that United have looked completely toothless up front their first games. They may be fine for the season, but I'm doubting it as of now.

I put Falcao's finishing ability on Suarez's level and think Di Maria will do enough to get him the ball. I'm just hoping that by the time they figure it out, they'll drop more points so it'll be too late for this season.

Red and White Kop has managed to outdo the "General Rodgers" thing and produce a piece of art even more cringeworthy. On #Mario, and how Liverpool does things differently:

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=315963.0

I didn't make it to the end. I can't stand cringeworthy (no, Everton aren't cringewo.. okay, but only sometimes, dammit!)

I put Falcao's finishing ability on Suarez's level and think Di Maria will do enough to get him the ball. I'm just hoping that by the time they figure it out, they'll drop more points so it'll be too late for this season.

Suarez was also right at the top of the assists table last year, apparently Falcao has something like 8 over the last 4 years.

Yeah, Liverpool were, largely speaking, able to paper over the cracks defensively last year by being so good going forward but they had one of the best attacks the Premier League has seen. I'm pretty doubtful United are going to be scoring in the range of 100 goals this year. Not least because you can't just stick some big names in and just hope for it to happen, you need a cohesive plan for getting the best out of your attacking talent. United may well be decent going forward this year with Di Maria and Falcao but will they be good enough that the fairly obvious issues with the balance of their squad don't matter? I remain to be convinced.

Archived