Would you like a really grim ending

Equilibrium

Would you actually prefer for the dark, sad ending to the series, with all the underlying philosophy and evolution of the narrative? Not of Others come everybody dies variety but with deeper meaning and internal consistency

Would you prefer some stoic philosophically ambiguous "Valar morghulis" "Death is not the end of the way" but still pretty brutal ending. Or classic tragedy (of Greek or Shakespeare kind) disturbingly and poetically fatal ending. Or highly cynical, utterly depressing and ultimately grimdark ending with injustice triumphing easily and morality and situation rapidly continuing on the downward path series is set.

Because we have not been given much cause for optimism here and I feel that any triumph of morality, clean cut victory of the good guys or drastic improvement of all around conditions in the world or moral and physical victory for the main protagonists would be pretty much cop out.

Let's see...I want a sort of like the ending of "V for Vendetta" (the novel, not the shitty movie) or "The Ocean at the End of the Lane". Or, well, since this is asoiaf I guess it's like the one of "The Hedge Knight" and "The Mystery Knight", kinda like "was it all worth it, did I do the right thing?"

So, yeah, like a Blackfyre descendant sitting on the throne, and some character wondering if that's the right thing

And...I also want some players in exile plotting revenge, to show that the game never ends

Martin has already shared that it will be a 'bitterweet' ending, which sounds good to me, I don't want cliched victory or extreme nihilism, he's a good enough writer to reach something of a happy medium.

I think we'll see our favourite POV characters going head to head, amny of them are already on a collision course. We wont know who to root for and some will have to die so that the others survive, prompting mixed emotions from the reader, but Westeros will survive the white walker attack.

My main hope is that the Iron Throne, the object everyone's been coveting since the beginning, is ironically scrapped and the political system changes.

Well, The War of the Roses ended with the Lancasters (south) sitting the throne in the form of Henry VII who united the warring houses by marrying Elizabeth of York (north).

So I expect something along those lines.

This means both Dany and Jon will die.

It also probably means Tyrion and Sansa end up as King and Queen.

snip -> Because we have not been given much cause for optimism here and I feel that any triumph of morality, clean cut victory of the good guys or drastic improvement of all around conditions in the world or moral and physical victory for the main protagonists would be pretty much cop out. <- snip

First off, give a brilliant writer a chance to write the ending in a way you haven't foreseen instead of making this premature conclusion sight unseen. You can only hurt your chance to enjoy the rest of the series by closing your mind to certain outcomes in advance.

Second, I entirely disagree. With all the horrible events we have seen, there's a consistent thread of human perseverance, ingenuity and survival that you can't help but notice. And if you consider Dany, Jon and Stannis as the main contenders for the crown, they're all honorable people intent on making Westeros a better place.

I mean hell, it couldn't get much worse. The war won't last forever. Either all will die, or it will end in a better place. Hint: all will probably not die. . . .

All I want is an ending that feels in line with the rest of the series. I don't want fairy tale. I don't want pure desolation. I want a resolution that ties up all (at least most of the big ones) the loose ends. How that is accomplished isn't that important to me.

Of course there are things I want to happen, but I've long since given up on GRRM giving me what I want.

They have the same ending

Like hell they do. The movie ends all sugary and optimistic, but the novel ends with

Evie literally donning V's mask and becoming the new V. And most importantly, the ending is totally ambiguous as the country devolves into anarchy

Listen,GRRM has helped me realise the world ain't sunshine and flowers. A happy ending will destroy it for me. The hero winning is the most boring shit ever and it's pretty much why even though I'm a teen,don't watch animation films. Sick of the good guy winning and a bittersweet ending could work out well (as long as Dany doesn't win)

Archived