The Show is Foreshadowing future Jon events

DanStark

I've recently done a run through the 4 seasons of ''Game of Thrones'', and a number of ''off the book'' scenes seem to indicate possible events for WoW and DoS. I'll explain why I believe the producers felt the need to include these scenes below

So the standout scenes for me seem to reference fans theories of Jon Snow being AA. The two biggest scenes that I think are hinting at that are:

1. When Mel went to get Gendry in place of Edric Strom. Here she meets Beric and Thoros and she learns that the lord of light has given Thoros the power to revive Beric. Now in the books we know that Mel has some magic but we're never told if she knows this is possible, so the show is eliminating that uncertainty for the viewers as should she revive Jon, they can say ''Well she seen what Thoros could do so she gave it a go''
  2. The importance of Shireen in Jons revival. We that have read the books know Shireen a lot better than the show watchers and we all have our theories on her importance. We've learned about her through her interactions with Davos, Edric Storm and Patchface, but again the show watchers don't know her like that. Also the I'm pretty sure the ''waking of the (stone)dragon'' prophecy hasn't been mentioned in the show. Now, knowing this the added scene I think is crucial to the foreshadowing is the one where Mel and Selyse discuss Shireen coming with them to the Wall, and Mel says something along the lines of ''She has a big role to play''. The addition of this seen give the show watchers the foreshadowing to us and adds to the theories of book readers.

So in my opinion both of these scenes have added to the foreshadowing of the resurection of Jon and him being reborn as AA. For this I think Shireen will be sacraficed (we have a scene early in season 2 in which Selyse suggests to Stannis to kill her so we know she wont object) and that the waking of the dragon is through stone. My idea is that this prophecy is referring to a metaphorical dragon rather than a literal one (R+L=J theory), and that Mel will be the one to save him as we now know she is aware the Lord of Light can revive people.

Now I know there are going to be people that will say ''the show and books are different universes'' and yes I understand that but they also contain a lot of the same major plotlines. D&D know the outcome of each major character and surly if Jon does survive/is revived, they will know how. So for them and the audience they are broadcasting to, there must be foreshadowing of their own right. Like the R+L=J theory for one couldn't be crafted by just a show watcher as they don't have the subtle play of words and images that GRRM gives us book readers. So these extra scenes are their way of saying ''Well look Mel does know that you can revive people and she did say Shireen was going to be important'' in the same way if R+L=J turns out to be true, GRRM can say ''well I associated Lyanna with blue rose petals, Dany seen those around Rhaegar in the House of the Undying, and the whole Knight of the Laughing tree story''.

I fell like Im going off topic here so what do you guys think? Is the book giving us the foreshadowing we need to validate some of these theories?

I got the same vibe when I saw those two seems as well.

In that same scene where Mel is with The BWB she also tells Arya that "she will see her again." I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how that ties into the books.

I had a hunch that they were setting up Mel bringing Jon back when she crossed paths with Thoros and when I saw the scene this season where they say The Lord of light isn't done with Shireen I knew it was related to Jon.

I got In that same scene where Mel is with The BWB she also tells Arya that "she will see her again." I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how that ties into the books.

Yea it should be interesting to see how Arya and Mel cross paths again because they don't just say these things lightly in this show and Im sure GRRM would of had to approve of that line

My guess is that one or both of resurrected!Jon and FArya make their way to Braavos and spark a delicious identity crisis in our favorite hellhound before prompting her to return to the North/Wall.

I also think that Jon would probably sacrifice himself Beric-style if Arya ever got killed fighting Others... seems very GRRM to have the "prophesied hero" choosing love over duty and throwing a wrench in all the prophecies/fate, leaving it to Dany's Dragons to save things.

Arya eventually either dies or leaves Westeros forever Frodo style. Or becomes the new Night Queen, plotting to invade the South and resurrect all her dead family...

I got the same vibe when I saw those two seems as well.

In that same scene where Mel is with The BWB she also tells Arya that "she will see her again." I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how that ties into the books.

I had a hunch that they were setting up Mel bringing Jon back when she crossed paths with Thoros and when I saw the scene this season where they say The Lord of light isn't done with Shireen I knew it was related to Jon.

At a bare minimum this establishes one important thing. When Mel looks in her fires and see's Jeyne Poole, she definitely knows she's not Arya.

Actually, I agree. I think the show has definitely given us some hints as to what is to come...at least concerning the main characters, because I see it very unlikely that they would change anything major. I've thought that Shireen could be the 'stone' in the prophecy, and Jon the 'dragon'...but I'm not sure how it will come about yet.

For the show at least, I have a tough time believing they would use a little girl as a sacrifice, though it could work if it's done in some sort of subtle way. But I don't think we're going to see Shireen burned at the stake or anything like that.

For the show at least, I have a tough time believing they would use a little girl as a sacrifice, though it could work if it's done in some sort of subtle way. But I don't think we're going to see Shireen burned at the stake or anything like that.

I do agree with the last part. If Shireen somehow 'dies' to 'wake the dragon', I don't think it will be because Melisandre burned her. I think will be something out of everyone's control, like her greyscale coming back or something.

I agree that with regards to the HBO narrative, the foreshadowing/hints/clues suggest that Shireen will likely play a key role in the future...

--

When looking at the Books, the alternate ASOIAF, has GRRM planted any hints surrounding Shireen? It seems to me that if GRRm were going to burn Shireen alive in book VI, book X, or even book XX, then we would see subtle hints of fire whenever Shireen is introduced to the audience - that is just how GRRM writes... Does anyone recall if GRRM offers anything interesting regarding flames around Shireen?

I agree that with regards to the HBO narrative, the foreshadowing/hints/clues suggest that Shireen will likely play a key role in the future...

--

When looking at the Books, the alternate ASOIAF, has GRRM planted any hints surrounding Shireen? It seems to me that if GRRm were going to burn Shireen alive in book VI, book X, or even book XX, then we would see subtle hints of fire whenever Shireen is introduced to the audience - that is just how GRRM writes... Does anyone recall if GRRM offers anything interesting regarding flames around Shireen?

I think he gives us a hint when Val tells Jon that Shireen is already dead. He's definitely throwing out the clue that the greyscale may not be 'cured' in that case.

I think he gives us a hint when Val tells Jon that Shireen is already dead. He's definitely throwing out the clue that the greyscale may not be 'cured' in that case.

Agreed i dont nessecerely believe that Melisandre wil be the one to burn Shireen but GRRM has given us various hints and i tend to think she will follow a dark path.

I agree there are loads of possible show foreshadowing IMO too.

S4E10 John and tormund speaking after the battle for castle black. John mentions something about stannis not being his king and tormund replys that Jon will never be a kneeler again. Possible a nod to Jon being the true king of westeros.

S3E10 I think. Mel saying to stannis and Davos that she has been fighting wars a lot longer than both of them. IMO a nod to her real age and that she glamours her apearence. This would also tie in with yorkboys BR+SS=MEL theory.

Just a couple off the top of my head.

Archived