No Bran or Hodor? [likely spoilers]

Lord Martin

Yeah I'm actually pretty concerned about this. Having that awesome scene in the Season 4 finale only to then leave this story hanging until Season 6 would be bizarre.

Bran will be in season 5. That much is clear. Both the actor who played Three-Eyed Raven and the actress who played Leaf are confirmed to be in season 5. It wouldn't make any sense to have those two but no Bran.

Also it's been mentioned there's an unused scene from season 1 with Ned and Bran so we might not be seeing a whole lot of Bran as such but rather the visions of Bran.

They've NEVER shot anything that doesn't belong to the season they're currently filming, as far as I know. The scripts for the next season aren't written yet, the directors are different, and since it's not a location filming, I find it hard to believe that they'd had some important reason to write and film those scenes a year ahead of the rest of the season.

It is possible that the scenes they filmed were meant for season 4 and just got pushed back to season 5 though. Also, just beccuase an episode is credited to a certain director doesn't nesscearily mean he directed all the scenes in the episode. I've watched the commentaries and they've mentioned plenty of times about how they've moved scenes from one episode to another. Even GRRM mentioned that even though he;s credited to a certain episode, he really only wrote half the scenes. The other half end getting put in other episodes.

For all we know, Hodor and Meera may be in one scene at the start of the season and it was just easier on everybody to film it while everything was already set and in place.

Leaving Hodor and Meera out may be the best way for the show to be faithful to the feel of the Bran cave chapters. Those chapters are surreal and spooky and Bran is feeling isolated. Hodor, in particular, is anti-spooky. He is wholesome, friendly, and upbeat. If the characters don't have anything important to do and their presence messes up the mood, it does kinda make sense to leave them out. I will be disappointed if the show never really touches in with Meera after losing Jojen, though.

The show has been playing up Bran's mission to deal with the Whitewalkers. It would make sense if the screentime he has covered his training and more stuff about the Whitewalkers. Rather than Jon sending men to Hardholme and then getting a spooky letter back, the show might just have Bran see a wildling disaster. There was speculation that Craster's wives might be brought back for that - t'would be neat.

Really?? Please elaborate! This is news to me

http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/game_of_thrones_isaac_hempstead_wright_wants_sean_bean_flashback_scene-2014-07

The 15-year-old teases to Zap2it, "I think [a Ned flashback] would be nice, and certainly because Bran's going to have a lot more visions and magical stuff this season. Absolutely, I'm sure that's a possibility."

http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/game_of_thrones_a_ned_stark_flashback_scene_might_have_already_been_filmed-2014-04

In the "A Song of Ice an Fire" novel "A Dance With Dragons," Bran has a vision where he sees a younger version of his now-dead father speaking to a Weirwood Tree. There has been some speculation about whether "Game of Thrones" will bring back Sean Bean to play Ned Stark if Bran's vision appears in the show. But apparently that might not be necessary, because Isaac Hempstead-Wright, who plays Bran, says that scene has already been filmed.

"That was a scene from the pilot we shot, actually, and it never got used," Hempstead-Wright tells Zap2it. "It was really cool."

So that confirms Bran will be in season 5 and will be having visions and the Ned scene has been filmed. Not related to Bran but there is also an unused scene where the Mad King kills Brandon, a part of it was shown in the original trailer for the pilot but it got scrapped from the show and hasn't been released like many other deleted scenes. Not sure in which context it could be shown though, unless as a quick vision among others.

Brandon was originally killed and they scrapped it?

Different Brandon - this is Ned Stark's older brother, whose killing by the Mad King was one of the sparks that began Robert Baratheon's rebellion. Ned later named one of his children after his brother. (And after several hundred other Brandons in the Stark family tree!)

well, the pilot was much more in line with what well-read readers wold pick up on and people who hadn't read the book told D&D that they had a big problem on their hands because it was incomprehensible who was related to whom in what way and what their ambitions were and so they had to reshoot the pilot. Just goes to show that the adaptation fared better once it was more inclusive of non-readers as its target audience.

well, the pilot was much more in line with what well-read readers wold pick up on and people who hadn't read the book told D&D that they had a big problem on their hands because it was incomprehensible who was related to whom in what way and what their ambitions were and so they had to reshoot the pilot. Just goes to show that the adaptation fared better once it was more inclusive of non-readers as its target audience.

Primary example. They test audience didn't that Jaime and Cersie were twins. That piece of information is kind of central to the eniter first season plot.

I will admit - I would have found the sheer number of characters in the books, especially those with similar names, extremely frustrating to keep up with if I didn't know all the majors from the show first.

Flicking from appendix to story and back again every 2 pages has to have made the reading less fun when the character names weren't well known.

I can't find anything in the Casting section of the forum that JonSnowed said. The only article I can find that was published within the last two days which includes info on Bran Stark was this one on Entertainment Weekly but the author is moronic as the only source he used to debunk belief that Bran will NOT be absent is the stupid Hodor interview in Australia. Bran will appear in season 5, Isaac already confirmed it! He said his character has more action scenes this year and confirmed it AGAIN in a Boxtrolls interview. James Hibberd (the author) is an idiot for subjecting fans to even more confusion and aiding the spread of more false rumours.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived