Let's be real: how much power can Cersei possibly get back? [TWoW SPOILERS]

Mycah Bluth

It looks good for Varys if Cersei goes to Casterly Rock or stays in Kings' Landing. If she goes to Casterly Rock, it's a solid bet that she's going to hatch some insane military plot and screw things up this way. If she stays in Kings' Landing, sooner or later she'll chafe under the round-the-clock supervision the Tyrells are bound to impose on her, and snap out from under them.

Also, I just thought of this and am trying to temper my excitement at the idea: what if Cersei decides to recall Littlefinger to Kings' Landing? They are deep in the shit financially, and she thinks of him fondly pretty often for the *great* job he did with the Master of Coin position and all his other gambits for the Lannisters (aside from killing Cersei's oldest child but you know). As far as she knows, and as far as Littlefinger seems to believe, the Lords Declarant have been subdued so the Vale isn't a huge problem. What he would do with Sansa and Sweetrobin is a mystery, although it would probably be something dreadful. He could come back with the Lannister troops posted in the Riverlands (giving him ample opportunity to run into some….unpleasantness of of the wolf, Brotherhood, Stoneheart variety). That would be quite the opportunity for him to jump into the driver's seat of the capital. Plus, if Stannis has taken Winterfell, that's the one person Littlefinger really doesn't want to mess with sitting not too far away from his turf. Going back to the capital would ensure that he'd be safe from whatever Stannis had planned, because he'd be able to hide behind either the Tyrells or the Lannisters.

Plus, it would put him in Varys' crosshairs once again and I can't even explain how that makes me feel.

Margaery is in the custody of her own family, and the Tyrells at this point are militarily in control of the city. I can't imagine how Cersei would somehow gain Margaery as a hostage.

I think that there are as many Lannisters in the city as there are Tyrell guards. Plus I'm guessing the Faith would hand over Margeary directly to her. If he is in league with Varys, this seems like the most likely action he will take in order to make the Tyrells side with Aegon.

There is a possible route. Since the Tyrells are a major military presence in King's Landing, the house may feel secure enough in its power to reach out to some of the High Sparrow's inner circle. Using the septas to get Cersei back on the Iron Throne with some of the septas nearby as handlers. To make sure Cersei doesn't do anything too crazy. This would involve the Tyrells winning favor with the common folk by putting sparrows in the court, giving the illusion that the commoners have a say in King Tommen's court.

meh She'll probably get some limited power after she wins her trial, I seriously think that after she wins her trial the High Sparrow will think that she's innocent or truly atoned or whatever. And then I don't know how but I think a war between the Faith and the Tyrells is inevitable. Margaery losing her trial and being executed would be the catalyst for it I think. And then when Aegon comes and there's even more chaos, I think she'll say "fuck it", light KL with wildfire in hopes of destroying the IT, and run off to Casterly Rock. either way I don't think Cersei is going to as huge of a villain like most people think in TWOW even though she'll definitely be wanting burn shit.

Also, I just thought of this and am trying to temper my excitement at the idea: what if Cersei decides to recall Littlefinger to Kings' Landing?

He would never go. He knows the Lannister regime is collapsing; indeed, that's part of his plan. There'd be no gain from leaving the security of the Vale, which he's spent considerable time gaining control of, to enter a war zone.

she is in Tarly´s custody until the trials.

Which is, again, her family's custody. Tarly was just the first Tyrell official on site, and took the initiative to get her released.

I think that there are as many Lannisters in the city as there are Tyrell guards. Plus I'm guessing the Faith would hand over Margeary directly to her.

You're assuming the Faith would have the ability to hand her over. If Margaery were found guilty, the Tyrell guard would most likely just take custody and refuse to play ball (which might in turn trigger an outright street war). The Tyrells have two armies encamped in and around King's Landing. One of them is leaving, but the Tyrells have clear military supremacy.

I like to think of the following scenario:

1: The trials are rushed because of Kevan's death, Mace as the Hand takes charge

2: Myrcella, Lady Nym, Tyene and the Dornish arrive

3: Marg is acquitted, but is now on a Cersei-hate. She finds an ally in NymShe tells all about how she was framed. Fingers point to Cersei. With Marg freed, Randyl Tarly marches on Storm's End. Mace's host remains in KL

4: Trial by combat, Ser Robert Strong wins. Cersei returns expecting to have the Regency, however Mace has placed Marg as Queen/Regent over Tommen. She does resume some degree of Regency but is now second-fiddle to Marg.

5. Because of Robert Strong, Cersei is exposed as a fraud (remember Clegane's head...) so the Dornish think, and they work on finding out the truth about RS.

6: Nym infiltrates High Septon, places doubts about who RS is

7: Some of the Lannister host returns, since the war is over now (Exept for Mannis up North) but without Jaime.

Now KL is ready to blow. The Dornish may or may not be in bed with Aegon, and they have eyes/ears in both Small Council and the Faith.

Cersei has limited power, and with both children with her and the recent death of Kevan she is more paranoid than ever.

The Tyrells are ruling...but nobody is safe.

a bit of tinfoil..oh well

What if Cersei wins her trial by combat but during it or soon after Tommen gets killed. There are even some rumblings I’ve read on the forums (but don’t remember where) that talk about Cersei being the one who kills all her kids… mostly by accident.

Marg wins her deal too but now all the Tyrells have no reason to be in Kings Landing and take off to fight the Ironborn (With the ships that what’s-his-name stole from Cersei in the first place.) This would allow three things I'd love to see:

1 - Cersei back in power and super paranoid with a daughter in tow that everyone would want to wed.

2 – Marg back on the market and another king out there to woo, I’m talking about fAegon of course.

And C – Cersei fulfilling the worst part (my opinion) of her own prophecy.

I can't see she getting all her old power back.... but she can make her way back to a strong position doing a little politcs (if she has the brain for it).

She's Tywin heir, since Tyrion and Jaime can't inherit.

Te crown had a ton of debt with Tywin and it's already on bad terms with the Bank of Braavos (thanks, Cersey)... she can claim all the debt asaap, what would put the crown in a bad situation, especially with more war looming. So she could negotiate to get some power. That can only be possible with her being found innocent, off course.

How much power is anyone in King's Landing going to have by the end of TWOW?

For the past many books King's Landing has still maintained being the Capitol of Dorne, the Reach, the Vale, and the Westerlands - but I think that's about to end. TWOW probably ends with Dorne destroying KL, the Tyrells in retreat, the Lannisters going into turtle mode, the Riverlands in ruin, the Vale staying isolationist and biding its time, and the North in lockdown mode preparing for invasion and not giving a damn about the South. I don't see a central power emerging again until the Other's break through, and even if Cersei survives that long no one is going to want her in charge.

If she survives ClEgAnEbOwL her trial, she won't have much time to deal with fAegon before running back to Casterly Rock, and then only control of it until Tyrion returns. A lot of it depends on what happens to Jamie as well.

I could very easily see Cersie trying to pull a "Mad King"

100% of my bets are on this outcome.

She'll realize that she has no chance of ruling again in KL, so she'll grab Tommen and flee to Casterly Rock and barricade there

She would if this was not ASOIAF, but I don't think Cersei is as bright as she used to be. :)

Cersei has power because she is the Lady of Casterly Rock and the sole inheritor, and also she is the mother of the king. I think the amount of power that Cersei will have will be determined on the status of her regency and the members of the small council, because Cersei does not have many - or any - henchmen left at this moment in time.

I liked the idea of recalling LF back to KL. Would leave Sansa to rule the Vale (!) and have LF shitting bricks. Please and thank you.

1. There are some clues pointing that Cersei will burn the KL. To do that, she needs to be in power. I think Cersei will win her trial easily thanks to UnGregor. Cersei will act quickly and have Tommen sign a paper that grants Cersei his regency.

2. fAegon is not strong enough to take KL, even with the Dornishmen. A Tyrell host led by Mace and Randyll is coming to Storm's End, which I think is under the orders of Cersei.

3. Without the presence of Tyrell forces in KL, the Gold Cloaks are the only power and whoever pays them owns the power. The Gold of the CR and the power of the IT. Just ask Ned.

4. Assuming that fAegon defeats the incoming Tyrell host, he will still need more men to be able to take KL. They do not have the ships. I think JonCon will by-pass KL and head for Oldtown to have the support of Hightowers and Redwynes. Dorne will be already with them by marriage of fAegon and Arianne.

5. This will leave Cersei in power in KL. Tyrells will be further defeated in the Reach by Euron. The HS will find Margaery guilty and she will be executed like Anne Boleyn.

Archived