Books that didn't make the cut...

Whitestripe

No way would I dispose of books that me or my dear ones paid precious money for! Books are a costly thing over here! (Then again, we don't have thousands of them; two hundred tops it, I guess. TBH for some years now, I tend to borrow books from libraries rather than buy them.)

The exceptions are most of my childhood books (at thirteen I just had to show my parents how grown up I am), plus sometimes I get rid off some unexciting, unoriginal detective story someone occasionally gives me for Christmas or birthday (not sure why it's always detective stories I get). But, I never donate that trash.

I like to do book swaps too, if I have a book I won't read (usually ones that have been bought for me. I get detective stories too, which I largely hate). I did donate a load a few months ago, either to charity shops or friends. But I love having shelves covered in books.

I appreciate the e-book love, and I do have a Kindle, but it's not the same for me.

The Alexander series by Manfredi certainly didn't make the cut, those were rather awful. 15 year old me had a terrible taste in books, though to be fair, it's probably not that much better right now.

John Grisham's The Associate is another one I ended up giving away, but really, it probably shouldn't be read by anyone at all.

I'm at university at the moment, with a full shelf of books in the living room. I will likely ship most of them back to my parents ( Zero idea how much that's going to cost me ) or at the very least donate some of them to my library.

I know I should get a kindle, but they feel rather uncomfortable in my hands.

Edit: Wolverine, I think building your own bookshelves is really neat. I'd like to do that at some point.

Book swaps are great. I picked up a book a few years ago which had a really nice note in it's jacket, it's unfortunate that someone gave it away but I like little things like that.

I pass on any novel I've read to someone else that wants to read it, unless I'm sure I'm gonna read it again. Historical/educational/art, etc. books are a different story. I've got a few those that I hang on to. I'm kind of a minimalist when it comes to physical possessions.

I am one who has liberated myself from dead trees. This topic is funny, because I just finished Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey (Abraham and Frank), and one of the most memorable scenes in the book is when one of the characters runs into someone carrying an actual book and he remarks to himself how extravagant it is to have such a tiny amount of data occupy such a huge amount of space.

For the vast majority of my life, I have had to keep rooms of books in my house, and now, I have almost no hard copies of books anywhere. I will never go back.

I am slowly learning to get rid of books. Of course I prefer selling, swapping or giving away as a present to throwing them into the trash, but...

1996 I returned to Germany from a year of study in the US. Because I had acquired a lot of books (scientific and otherwise) I had a big box shipped across the ocean. For some bizarre reason (probably because the price of surface cargo shipping was not so finely grained) I did ship stuff like the "Crystal Shard"/Icewind Dale trilogy and also McKiernan's Tolkien ripoff "Iron Tower" instead of throwing them away.

I thought I had thrown them out a long time since, but recently they showed up again stowed away in some cardboard box (I guess I gave them to one of my brothers and he returned them after a move).

I have never thrown away any books, except the old school books. Some have sentimental value, some I know I will read again. I want to get rid of all the children's books I still have stacked somewhere, but my parents insist they have to be kept "for the grandchildren". :P If/When I manage to move out though, I will just take a smaller part of the collection with me. Which might be plenty of books as it is.

I have a good few hundred books and being a bit of a genre geek tend to be SFF with some historical fiction and thrillers for good measure. Non Fiction books tend to be of the IT variety.

I recently cleared out about 60 books that I would never read and didn't want, took them to a bookstore and he swapped me about 25 books for 4 Robin Hobb books in good condition. Gave the rest to the charity store in the hope they make a little bit for their respective charity.

I am always interested to hear peoples book purchases.

I guess there are some books that I have traded off because I don't want my name or recommendation associated with them if someone were perusing my collection for something to borrow. They would include:

Dark Elf stuff by Salvatore (I was young and just starting to read fantasy)

Conn Iggulden's first Ghengis Khan book

Byzantium by some other dude

Oddly enough, I'm much more sentimental about decades-old and out-of-date computer books than I am about fiction, in general.

The books most precious to me, besides the computer books, are the ones that were read to me as a child. They stay on a very high shelf, well out of reach of little hands, when not in use.

The rest are allowed to stay until I need the space for something else.

Oddly enough, I'm much more sentimental about decades-old and out-of-date computer books than I am about fiction, in general.

The books most precious to me are the ones that were read to me as a child. They stay on a very high shelf, well out of reach of little hands, when not in use.

The rest are allowed to stay until I need the space for something else.

Computer books read to you as a child? I don't know what this means.

I have never thrown away any books, except the old school books. Some have sentimental value, some I know I will read again. I want to get rid of all the children's books I still have stacked somewhere, but my parents insist they have to be kept "for the grandchildren". :P If/When I manage to move out though, I will just take a smaller part of the collection with me. Which might be plenty of books as it is.

I just put a crate of books in the loft, mostly books I read as a kid (Sabrina, Goosebumps etc). I don't want to throw them out. Seeing as I don't want kids of my own, I guess I have this romantic idea of being the cool aunt/friend who has loads of books :laugh:

I just put a crate of books in the loft, mostly books I read as a kid (Sabrina, Goosebumps etc). I don't want to throw them out. Seeing as I don't want kids of my own, I guess I have this romantic idea of being the cool aunt/friend who has loads of books :laugh:

We do not have a loft, they have to stay in my room. They are in a chest/cupboard that I usually stack things onto, so it is never opened unless to stuff more useless things into it - like old books and toys. Unfortunately, that one has limited capacities too, and there is only about for a shoebox space left ... I have to stop buying books. :P

That said, no matter how preachy it is, nobody is ever going to make me give up my 65-year-old copy of Little Women! (it was my mom's and we both read it until it's falling apart!)

Argh... thank you for making me remember that I lend my old copy of Little Women to my niece and I'm still waiting for it... that happened in 1998. =(

Archived