The Seven

Dryhtscipe

So I'm sure this has been noticed before, but I'm still going to blather on.

While being pointlessly glib on another thread, I joked that "mother" contains "other". Just a silly throwaway remark. But then that made me think of The Seven.

The Stranger, in particular, is the starting point. Associated with death and the unknown, represented by a "nearly human" figure, and largely shunned as an object of worship but still included. This is quite similar to the Others. They, too, are associated with death and the unknown; they are humanoid but not human; and they are only worshipped by those who are outcast (Craster).

Is it possible that The Seven are, in fact, a literary device indicating the key characters (or entities) in the story?

We have numerous candidates for all of them. The Warrior might well be Jaime Lannister (although there are a few candidates there); The Father would tally fairly closely with Ned; Sansa might be said to be the Maiden. Catelyn is very much in the Mother archetype (and prays to same) until her death and return, at which point she seems more in league with the Stranger.

Those are the most likely for those in particular, but I can't really decide on the others firmly. Anyway, might be an interesting discussion, so: any thoughts?

And particularly, could the Stranger's similarity to the Others be, in some way, actually important to the story?

I'm also curious after re-familiarising myself with the Seven with the wiki; there is this:

The faith of the Seven arose in the Hills of Andalos among the Andals. It is claimed that the Seven walked among the Hills of Andolos in human form. According to The Seven-Pointed Star: The Father brought down seven stars from heaven and placed them on the brow of Hugor of the Hill, the first king of the Andals, to form his crown and the Maid brought forth a girl supple as a willow with eyes like deep blue pools that became Hugor his first wife, the Mother made her fertile, who bore him forty-four mighty sons as foretold by the Crone. The Warrior gave each son strength of arms and the Smith wrought each a suit of iron plate.

but there is no mention of the Stranger. Why would that be? Could the Stranger be the Great Other, added to the pantheon of the Seven for some reason after the Andals came to Westeros?

• 5 months later...

Is it possible that The Seven are, in fact, a literary device indicating the key characters (or entities) in the story?

yes, the Stark family

Ned = the father

Cat = the mother

Robb = the Warrior

Sansa = the Maiden

Bran = the Crone

Arya = the Stranger

Rickon = the Smith

So I'm sure this has been noticed before, but I'm still going to blather on.

While being pointlessly glib on another thread, I joked that "mother" contains "other". Just a silly throwaway remark. But then that made me think of The Seven.

The Stranger, in particular, is the starting point. Associated with death and the unknown, represented by a "nearly human" figure, and largely shunned as an object of worship but still included. This is quite similar to the Others. They, too, are associated with death and the unknown; they are humanoid but not human; and they are only worshipped by those who are outcast (Craster).

We have numerous candidates for all of them. The Warrior might well be Jaime Lannister (although there are a few candidates there); The Father would tally fairly closely with Ned; Sansa might be said to be the Maiden. Catelyn is very much in the Mother archetype (and prays to same) until her death and return, at which point she seems more in league with the Stranger.

Those are the most likely for those in particular, but I can't really decide on the others firmly. Anyway, might be an interesting discussion, so: any thoughts?

And particularly, could the Stranger's similarity to the Others be, in some way, actually important to the story?

I'm also curious after re-familiarising myself with the Seven with the wiki; there is this:

but there is no mention of the Stranger. Why would that be? Could the Stranger be the Great Other, added to the pantheon of the Seven for some reason after the Andals came to Westeros?

Craster didn't worship the Others.

Yeah he did. He sacrifices his male children to the others, talks about being a "Godly Man," and lives untroubled by the Others where everyone else is so terrified of them they're willing to launch a hopeless attack against a 700 ft wall. He has " a cold smell" about him. He's definitely sacrificing, or worshipping, the Others, most likely just as the Nights King did.

Archived