The Hound vs. The Mountain?

Septa Mordane

Cersei's Trial by Combat: The wicked queen has named a monster as her champion, and no man in King's Landing can hope to stand against him. To prevent her from escaping justice, the High Sparrow will likely send ravens out to all Seven Kingdoms. He requires a strong, fearless defender of the Faith with proven experience in battle and, possibly, a thirst to redeem himself. All signs seem to point to The Hound - he's already been taken in by the Faith and is serving them, it appears, quite humbly.

It is implied by Kevan that the identity of Ser Robert Strong is known throughout the Red Keep. It is not hard to believe that this knowledge could reach people outside of King's Landing. If the Hound himself knew that his brother was still alive, I believe he might rethink his quiet life on the Quiet Isle and choose to fight his brother - this time as a champion of the Faith.

There's just one problem - the gravedigger on the Quiet Isle is lame, and we know the Hound was badly wounded... How could he fight in this condition? Has he had time to heal? We've been waiting for a Hound/Mountain showdown since Book One, even after we thought they were both dead, surely it hasn't all been in vain?

• 5 months later...

Cersei's Trial by Combat: The wicked queen has named a monster as her champion, and no man in King's Landing can hope to stand against him. To prevent her from escaping justice, the High Sparrow will likely send ravens out to all Seven Kingdoms. He requires a strong, fearless defender of the Faith with proven experience in battle and, possibly, a thirst to redeem himself. All signs seem to point to The Hound - he's already been taken in by the Faith and is serving them, it appears, quite humbly.

I like this vision!

"The Hound is dead."

There goes your theory.

But very shortly after, the same man who said this goes on to say that he himself "died" in RR, and described himself to be as screwed up, if not more, than he just said the Hound was. It sounds as if the brothers of the Quiet Isle talk about "death" as a form of redemption/rebirth of character, and not a literal death.

Sadly, I think Sandor/Hound are pretty much done in these books. His story arc has been perfectly wrapped up and he's no longer in the midst of Westeros. Bringing him in to fight the animated headless corpse of his brother wouldn't really serve any purpose, other than creating a "Clegane vs. Clegane" matchup, which in itself doesn't really matter anymore either. Gregor is dead, Sandor is lame....

I don't think we'll see Sandor anytime soon. Maybe an appearance or two, but I don't forsee him playing any sort of major role going forward.

if we do get cleganebowl, i dont think itll happen at cerseis trial. i still think itll be lancel that fights robert strong and get destroyed in the process. i feel like cersei needs to win her current trial.

i think that the hound will return to help out sansa in some fashion. the quiet isle isnt completely out of the loop to the current events in westeros but as far as we know they believe gregor to be dead there. last theyve heard of him, he was killed by oberyn poisoning his spear. its pretty plausible that they havent gotten a traveler or raven to ever bring them knowledge of robert strong. that could very easily change when robert strong has his true coming out party and slaughters someone during cerseis trial.

sandor wont be stupid enough to believe that this really is some random, massive knight that somehow flew under the radar his whole life. he also watched beric get revived right after sandor damn near cut him in half, so he knows that its possible somehow. i dont think that news of gregor would be enough to get sandor off the isle though. hes still a wanted man by the crown and would be arrested immediately if he tried to enter kings landing. not to mention that there are a lot of people in westeros who believe that he raided the riverlands too.

if sansa gets found out, which has to happen sooner rather than later, the quiet isle is pretty close to the eyrie and aligning with sansa would offer the hound protection from his bounty. not to mention that anything to do with sansa would get the hounds attention immediately. prolonging sandors return also gives him more time to heal up. the elder brother apparently has 'miraculous' healing powers. a lot of people use the argument that he was lame when brienne saw him but i think its kind of implied the opposite way. sandor went from his deathbed to walking around, digging graves, pulling his weight and serving people at the quiet isle pretty damn quickly. i think that shows that sandor is going to turn out pretty healthy in the end.

if he does return, i dont want him to return as some new personality. i would love to see him come back as the hound not just as the 'true knight' sandor. probably as little toned down version (likely closer to the shows version) but still the hound. if he learns that sansa is alive and in the vale it wouldnt be out of character at all for sandor to simply get up, think 'f--k this' and leave the isle without saying a word to anyone there.

My thoughts are that the QI will curb Sandor's desire to kill unGregor and that when he reappears in the story it would most likely be for Sansa's sake. That being said there is a giant shadow with nothing but black blood for a head looming over Sansa and the Hound in Bran's dream... and Sansa is supposed to slay a savage giant... make of that what you will.

If the HS is truly a man of faith (seems likely thus far) then he won't consider finding a strong champion to be necessary. After all if the gods are on the side of the righteous then the champion of the Faith cannot fail regardless of his comparative combat prowess. So if Sandor returns (which I both hope and expect) I don't think it will be for Cersei's TBC.

Crazy thought here; could the golden shadow possibly be Brienne?

Maybe, if she's going through a metamorphosis into becoming the shining knight Jaime always wanted to be. I'm hoping it's Jaime so I can see my two favorite characters team up. I'm not holding onto anything yet though.

Maybe, if she's going through a metamorphosis into becoming the shining knight Jaime always wanted to be. I'm hoping it's Jaime so I can see my two favorite characters team up. I'm not holding onto anything yet though.

that would make an awesome duo; both are injured in different ways so together they might make up for each other's weaknesses and actually beat unGregor. Also kinda plays in to the idea that Sansa is Cersei's younger queen.

My thoughts are that the QI will curb Sandor's desire to kill unGregor and that when he reappears in the story it would most likely be for Sansa's sake. That being said there is a giant shadow with nothing but black blood for a head looming over Sansa and the Hound in Bran's dream... and Sansa is supposed to slay a savage giant... make of that what you will.

I like this. I like to think that Sandor has finally found peace, so I don't like the notion of him coming forth to just kill his undead brother....but tying it to the vision Bran had to protect/rescue Sansa...I like it A LOT....it makes sense. We have seen other characters that are of dubious honor in the beginning of the series step up and gain/re-gain their honor.....Sandor would fit perfect IMHO.

that would make an awesome duo; both are injured in different ways so together they might make up for each other's weaknesses and actually beat unGregor. Also kinda plays in to the idea that Sansa is Cersei's younger queen.

That's how I see it : ). It's one of the things I'm most looking forward too.

Archived