The passing of a comedienne - Joan Rivers

Tears of Lys

So Joan Rivers proved she wasn't indestructible. Strange, but I honestly thought she was. Here's a woman who had to be the first comedienne to break into the Johnny Carson show. She battled among the boys club that late night television was and is. She made fun of her many surgical procedures - hell, she made fun of everything.

Love her or hate her, the world is going to seem a bit less interesting now that she's gone.

RIP. And in her words, keep laughing.

The last few years I've seen a lot of her, because she liked coming up to Canada to peddle her stuff on The Shopping Channel. She was always pretty funny doing that as well. She had some hand cream she was selling, and telling us viewers you can't hide your aging hands, ladies! Then she snarked about how Madonna isn't seen in public anymore without at least one glove on. :p

One of the health care arguments that goes on here all the time is one about allowing more private clinics to do "minor" procedures. Those against the idea have always pointed out that if you farm out the so-called easy stuff to private clinics, they'll scoop all the money making procedures (in Canada we have a health care system, and hospitals get paid a set amount for the work they do) but if anything goes wrong, the disaster will get dumped into a hospital. I gather she went to a private clinic (probably because it was very posh) to get her vocal cords scraped and had a heart attack while under anesthetic. She then had to be ambulanced over to a hospital, because, of course, the clinic wouldn't be able to handle such an emergency. You just never know what's going to happen to you in life, do you.

I gather she went to a private clinic (probably because it was very posh) to get her vocal cords scraped and had a heart attack while under anesthetic. She then had to be ambulanced over to a hospital, because, of course, the clinic wouldn't be able to handle such an emergency. You just never know what's going to happen to you in life, do you.

More and more "simple" procedures are being done in clinics, not because they're more "posh," but because the procedures are considered outpatient and you can get bookings more quickly than at a hospital. (Face it, someone in her position could probably get just as posh of a room at a hospital as she did at the clinic.) Plus, she was probably assured by her doctor that it **was** a simple procedure and she could be in and out.

When you think about it, almost anything short of a full-on operation with general anesthesia is taken care of at these clinics. How many of them are outfitted with all the necessary gear to handle a situation where the patient stops breathing and has to be intubated, etc., etc.? Maybe some, but not all.

The idea of getting something done under anesthetic in a private clinic worries me, I must admit, because clinics aren't hospitals, are they? But I would think she went to a clinic that dealt with the wealthy. I saw a spread in....Architectural Digest, perhaps? of her NYC apartment, and oh my goodness. She definitely was a wealthy woman.

But, you're right, ToL, I'm sure it was a routine procedure. Then again, she was 81, and risks increase. I was so sad for her when I heard the story. When they announced she was moved out of intensive care into a private room, you knew it was the end.

Very sad. I sometimes found it hard to listen to her acts, especially in most recent years, as she was so blunt in her comments but I still admired her for making her way the comedy world the way she did and how she just never gave up no matter how many times she was canceled or fired from an act or show. That takes a lot of strength. I don't know too many people who could keep going the way she did.

She also had a great sense of style and fantastic taste in jewelry. I met her once at a charity ball in NYC in the 1980s and she was just the tiniest thing next to me but so elegant and so charming and lovely to speak with. Quite different from the personality she presented in her acts.

It seemed she was blackballed a bit after that whole Johnny Carson drama. She struggled to get A-list work for the rest of her career after that.

Yes, I remember that. I guess she had the temerity to go up against "The King of Late-Nite" - compounded by the fact that he gave her the biggest opportunity of her career when he had her on his show and then talked to her after her act on the couch. You had to be among the chosen ones to make it to the couch.

Yes, I remember that. I guess she had the temerity to go up against "The King of Late-Nite" - compounded by the fact that he gave her the biggest opportunity of her career when he had her on his show and then talked to her after her act on the couch. You had to be among the chosen ones to make it to the couch.

She was also Carson's preferred guest host until she took the FOX deal. Carson, great in so many ways, seemed to be just that kind of person that took too many things personally.

Glad I had the chance to see her perform live once.

RIP Joan Rivers

Archived