Superman and Batman: The End of Humor

Rhom

It was as close to perfection as we'll get. I'd love to see someone top it. I think it also did a great job at defining a lot of the villains - many of them had iffy/convoluted origins in the comics back then but they seemed to cherry pick or distill the origins that the comics and films tend to use even now, Take the tragic take on Dr Freeze.

Harley Quinn also got her start on the show and now she's practically a necessary bit of canon when you talk Joker and his henchmen.

Harley Quinn also got her start on the show and now she's practically a necessary bit of canon when you talk Joker and his henchmen.

Arguably their most successful "new" character. Renee Montoya also originated in the show and Clayface was changed to match the cartoon too.

I haven't seen much of Btas (didn't have a telly growing up, so these things passed me by), but that's a bit of a negative attitude to have.

I don't think so. Its not much different to saying that there won't be a better Superman than Christopher Reeve. Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy Tom Welling, Dean Cain, Tim Daly and Henry Cavill, because I liked all of them, but they weren't Reeve. I am sure some people don't feel that way, but Bruce Timm just nailed it for me. From BTAS to his retirement in Batman Beyond it just nailed it for me. Bruce Timm did a better job with Batman's retirement than anyone else. I just think I am being positive about BTAS.

But even if I am being negative, that seems to be the theme of this upcoming movie.

• 1 month later...

So DC/WB have made a few formal annoucements, including official casting for movieFlash (Ezra Miller) and confirming Jason Momoa is Aquaman. Also, confirmed films and dates through to 2020.

Most interesting to me is the Suicide Squad announcement- I honestly wasn't expecting that. Lot of potential there. And I hope they can do for Aquaman what Marvel did for Thor.

So DC/WB have made a few formal annoucements, including official casting for movieFlash (Ezra Miller) and confirming Jason Momoa is Aquaman. Also, confirmed films and dates through to 2020.

Most interesting to me is the Suicide Squad announcement- I honestly wasn't expecting that. Lot of potential there. And I hope they can do for Aquaman what Marvel did for Thor.

I'm also interested in the Suicide Squad announcement. Interesting choice and it gets a live action Harley Quinn finally out there as she's incredibly popular at the moment and it doesn't require the Joker. And I'm one of the few that think Aquaman is awesome and Momoa is a good choice.

I'm also interested in the Suicide Squad announcement. Interesting choice and it gets a live action Harley Quinn finally out there as she's incredibly popular at the moment and it doesn't require the Joker.

Not sure we'll see Harley Quinn just yet- she is probably the most famous person associated with the Suicide Squad, but on the other hand, while it doesn't need the Joker to work she needs the Joker to exist to make sense, and I dunno if there'll be time to introduce him before then. On the timetable specified, it would make far more sense to do the first film with other people (conceivably they could conflate it with the rather similar villainous edition of the Secret Six, especially since Deadshot has a history with both), then introduce Harley Quinn via Batman movie with the Joker, have her captured, and slide her into a Suicide Squad sequel if the success is there.

I'm not too familiar with the Suicide Squad, if I'm honest, but looking at the history Amanda Waller (obviously), Deadshot and Captain Boomerang are the musts.

It's good to see a slew of DC films to try and rival Marvel. I hope they develop them properly though and aren't just hoping they work. Should be interesting as there's some great characters to play with.

I also agree that the suicide squad is an interesting choice and maybe the one with the most potential. I did enjoy the recent animated movie so something along those lines could be good.

It seems to answer once and for all that the movies will not intersect with the CW shows given the Flash casting. There's no reason why the two formats can't co-exist. Smallville went on fine, regardless of the Superman film.

I actually really like the idea that DC is doing things the opposite way Marvel did. Instead of a bunch of solo origin films leading up to the big team up, you introduce all of them together and spin the team up movies into solo films.

Yeah, that aspect of the plan is completely fine with me. It's my lack of faith in the direction/plot/stories in these movies that give me acid stomach.

Yeah, that aspect of the plan is completely fine with me. It's my lack of faith in the direction/plot/stories in these movies that give me acid stomach.

Yeah, I'm also not the biggest fan of Zack Snyder, and the fact that he's now directing JL 1 and 2 just sours me on the whole thing in general.

I don't get why WB/DC feels the need to have a core group of guys running everything. Do we really need David Goyer writing everything and Snyder directing everything? Look at Marvel, they've got some Sci-fi directors and writers on board, they've got some political thriller directors and writers on board, they're bringing in a horror writer and director for Dr. Strange.

That's how it should be done. You make all these movies connected in the same universe, but you do genre movies with superheroes instead of just doing the same movies over and over again but with a different costume. We're getting the political/military thrillers with Iron Man and Cap, we're getting the galactic stuff with Thor and GotG, we'll be getting the street level crime drama with the Netflix shows, and eventually the supernatural/occult horror stuff with Dr. Strange that will hopefully lead into some Blade and Ghost Rider cameos and Midnight Sons team ups.

DC kinda feels like they're just going for one blanket tone throughout their whole universe.

We won't know if it's a bad plan until we've seen the film. I agree it feels like they are putting their eggs in one basket but they must be happy with Snyder's plans/work to put a franchise worth billions in his hands, If they are amazingly good we'll be saying it's an inspired choice, if it fails they were mistaken, It's far too soon to tell if this approach is wrong. Unless you really, really hate Snyder so it's a mistake if WB are making a film for anti-snyder fan.

Ha. Casting rumours already.

Tom Hardy and Ryan Gosling would seem to fit the team well - I'll be really, really surprised if Tom Hardy turned out to be in discussions for anyone other than Deadshot- but I can't see who Will Smith might be in the frame for and if Margot Robbie is Harley Quinn I'll be very disappointed (if only because I really want Summer Glau in that role, whenever she shows up). But then if she turns out to be their pick for Amanda Waller I'll be positively raging, so...

We won't know if it's a bad plan until we've seen the film. I agree it feels like they are putting their eggs in one basket but they must be happy with Snyder's plans/work to put a franchise worth billions in his hands, If they are amazingly good we'll be saying it's an inspired choice, if it fails they were mistaken, It's far too soon to tell if this approach is wrong. Unless you really, really hate Snyder so it's a mistake if WB are making a film for anti-snyder fan.

I wasn't anti-Snyder until MOS. I was fine with him with from his previous work, just unenthusiastic about him. And I suppose it's more anti-WB/DC executives/producers now still than just anti-Snyder. I don't feel good about any continuity with the MOS interpretation.

The only way I'm seeing the Batman V Superman movie in theaters is if it gets glowing reviews like 90%+ on Rotten Tomatoes once the bulk of reviews come in and word of mouth, mostly from this board is positive.

We won't know if it's a bad plan until we've seen the film. I agree it feels like they are putting their eggs in one basket but they must be happy with Snyder's plans/work to put a franchise worth billions in his hands

But that's exactly why it is a bad plan. Putting all your eggs in one basket almost invariably is. Whatever your opinions on Snyder's work, no director can possibly pull off all these major projects without them seeming unoriginal and 'samey'.

As for a SS movie, io9 has a rumoured lineup of:

Blockbuster, Multiplex, Jaculi, Mindboggler, Harkness, Vixen, and Deadshot

Which, as a long-standing fan of SS, does not excite me.

http://io9.com/do-we-already-know-the-line-up-of-the-suicide-squad-mov-1645582909

As for a SS movie, io9 has a rumoured lineup of:

Which, as a long-standing fan of SS, does not excite me.

http://io9.com/do-we-already-know-the-line-up-of-the-suicide-squad-mov-1645582909

Their source is Latino Review, though, so take that with a pinch of salt. Although it wouldn't surprise me if Captain Boomerang did go by 'Harkness', and he's almost definitely going to be in it just because he appears to have been in just about every version of the team, right?

I'd love it if Braniac was the Justice League villain (or a later Superman villain), but again; Latino Review.

Latino Review throws out rumors all the time. Even a broken watch shows the right time twice a day.

Unless it's a digital watch with a blank screen. Then it's just broken.

I wasn't anti-Snyder until MOS. I was fine with him with from his previous work, just unenthusiastic about him. And I suppose it's more anti-WB/DC executives/producers now still than just anti-Snyder. I don't feel good about any continuity with the MOS interpretation.

The only way I'm seeing the Batman V Superman movie in theaters is if it gets glowing reviews like 90%+ on Rotten Tomatoes once the bulk of reviews come in and word of mouth, mostly from this board is positive.

I felt the same way about Snyder. I was actually a little exited when I heard he was doing MoS because I really liked Watchman.

I will not be seeing any other movie he makes in the DC universe for any reason. I do not care if the rest of the world stands up and says that one of his films is the best ever made. He gets no more of my money as long as he lives for the crap he pulled in that rotten turd of a movie he made that he claims was about Superman.

Archived