Superman and Batman: The End of Humor

Rhom

We're gonna get a scene at the beginning of the secret hall of justice with all the characters sitting around deciding how to approach this "Superman", and it'll be Batman to say he's got it and that's why it's just the two of them.

No explanation why there is all of these heroes no one had ever seen in the world. They'll skip over that part...

Re: Aquaman showing up

This makes more sense to me than Wonder Woman, depending on what her civies role is in this reality. Zod's machine royally screwed up a good section of ocean on the opposite side of the world from Metropolis. Assuming it affected the fragile ecosystem that is our oceans and thus affected Atlantis, it makes sense for Aquaman to reveal himself at least to Kal El.

Maybe he'll try to tear out Kal's throat dothraki style. :)

Mormont and CP, I can't disagree with anything you've said, as my dislike of Robin boils down to personal preference. I see how the Robin character plays off of the Batman character a day vice versa. I also haven't read a Batman comic since Hush, so I don't know a damned thing about Damian. I just don't think Bruce Wayne needs redemption. I prefer him as a distant loner, fighting a war he can never truly win. Anyway, I won't derail any further.

Damian is sort of one of those characters people either love or they hate. I hated him at first because he was such an entitled psychopath. Understandable when you're raised inside the League of Assassins by your world-class killer of a mom and grandfather, but when you get placed in the care of your father and your first inclination is to try to murder your adopted brother because you think you should have his spot, that's some next-level crazy shit.

But as time went on and Bruce's lessons started to take hold, and Damian slowly started caring about Tim, Dick, Jason and Barbara, he became one of my favorite characters.

Then Grant Morrison had to go fuck that up.

Re: Aquaman showing up

This makes more sense to me than Wonder Woman, depending on what her civies role is in this reality. Zod's machine royally screwed up a good section of ocean on the opposite side of the world from Metropolis. Assuming it affected the fragile ecosystem that is our oceans and thus affected Atlantis, it makes sense for Aquaman to reveal himself at least to Kal El.

Maybe he'll try to tear out Kal's throat dothraki style. :)

Similarly, what if we do go the route of the Amazons being descended from the Kryptonian colony ship and they have some sort of prophecy about the return of someone from the home world? Maybe that could draw out WW.

Regardless, it still feels like too much for one movie.

The only way this would be of interest to me is if they set it like 1000 years in the past when Krypton was an intergalactic force and at war with races like the Thanagarians and forces like the Green Lantern Corps. When they were a hub of intergalactic commerce and study and had many different species going to and leaving from Krypton for various reasons.

If this takes place in Jor-El's lifetime I don't see much interest in it. An isolated society in decline that's gone too far in being introspective that they are all mostly naval gazers. The only interesting plot line would be Zod's rise to power and attempted coup. With Zod and Jor-El being friends at first because they both recognized the stagnation of Krypton's society and wanted to change it...but in different ways which lead to them being enemies. I can see that being done, but it's all ready been covered so much in comic books, book books, and much of the story either talked about or shown in Smallville and the first two Superman movies and Man of Yuck. I think I would be bored with it and definitely would much rather see the Krypton 1000 years ago storyline.

Damian is sort of one of those characters people either love or they hate. I hated him at first because he was such an entitled psychopath. Understandable when you're raised inside the League of Assassins by your world-class killer of a mom and grandfather, but when you get placed in the care of your father and your first inclination is to try to murder your adopted brother because you think you should have his spot, that's some next-level crazy shit.

But as time went on and Bruce's lessons started to take hold, and Damian slowly started caring about Tim, Dick, Jason and Barbara, he became one of my favorite characters.

Then Grant Morrison had to go fuck that up.

Sums up his take on Magneto as well. He still does a good job, mostly.

Anyways, I totally don't begrudge you for not liking Robin. I hated Robin for a long time until I listened to Grant Morrison talk about Batman's relationship with Robin, the Grayson variety in particular.

I still think to this day that some of the best Batman stories ever told was when Dick Grayson had taken up the Batman mantle, with Damian Wayne as Robin. They flipped the script completely by having a light-hearted, Peter Parker-esque Batman, and the brooding, dark, angry Robin and it was awesome.

Plus, BatCow!

Ugh. Grant Morrison really is too weird for Batman. Not that there can't be some weirdness with the character, but when you get too far out there it just becomes campy, and I don't think anyone wants to return to campy Batman.

Scott Snyder's work on Detective Comics with GraysonBatman and WayneRobin was really good though.

• 2 weeks later...

They are filming some scenes in Chicago now. They were very near my office this weekend. Our street was shut down for the helicopter that was endlessly droning around outside. But I got to see Henry Cavill "flying". Well he was up in the air at least with the help of some wires.

They are filming some scenes in Chicago now. They were very near my office this weekend. Our street was shut down for the helicopter that was endlessly droning around outside. But I got to see Henry Cavill "flying". Well he was up in the air at least with the help of some wires.

Is that you in the crowd? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Christopher Priest talks about the Dark Knight Trilogy:

"It's a wrong move to take a superhero and give it psychological realism. There is no psychological realism. He's a bodybuilder who jumps off buildings. I'm sorry I feel really strongly about this."

Priest thinks that the audience's reaction is proof of the wrongheaded approach Nolan took to superhero films, detailing how he had witnessed people being bored and distracted only to be engaged with moments of action. "And every now and then the guy jumps off the building on a rope, and they watch it and go, 'Woo!' Then they lose interest. To me, that's a real major lack of judgment in Nolan, to go for superhero films. I feel this very strongly."

Priest might be a good author, albeit imo not as great as he's sometimes made out, but he does seem quite full of himself. And completely ignorant of where the court of public opinion actually puts the Batman films.

The stuff about him wanting to support an up-and-coming filmmaker is cool, though. Even though by the time The Prestige actually came out, Nolan was a bigger name then Mendes probably.

Archived