College Football 2014: Hurry Up No Huddle comment posting

Rhom

Other thread was at 20 pages and was started in the off-season. Regardless, lets start this thread with old news that is new again. So now almost two years after the incident, Florida State is conducting their mandatory review of the Winston rape case?!!? How does that even happen?

I don't have a clue what happened that night, but our justice system has gone through their process and moved on... if this investigation really is just a procedural thing required under federal rules regarding sexual assault on campus, why wasn't this done sooner? At the very least at some point during an academic turn that did not include the football season thereby making this even more of a circus than it already is. :stunned:

Anyways, back on the field... I'm headed to see Louisville play against my alma mater Murray State tomorrow. I don't expect the game to be competitive in the least, but I'm looking forward to seeing some other buddies from school that live in the Louisville area.

Kentucky plays Ohio this weekend. This will be a step up from the Tennessee Martin of last week. I still expect a win, but I hope to see real improvement and continued momentum before we hit the brutal part of our schedule. If the Cats can manage to be competitive in a handful of SEC games, I will be satisfied.

Nationally, I'm like everyone else and I'm intrigued to see what happens with Oregon and Michigan State.

ETA: Mack Brown's house burns down. Likely destroying all his Texas memorabilia. Obviously glad no one was hurt, but hate that on a personal level for the guy. A lot of memories up in smoke there.

ETA: Mack Brown's house burns down. Likely destroying all his Texas memorabilia. Obviously glad no one was hurt, but hate that on a personal level for the guy. A lot of memories up in smoke there.

Jeez! That's awful.

I'm headed to NashVegas in the morning for Ole Miss/Vandy. It doesn't promise to be the most exciting matchup, but hopefully Good Bo will show up and limit mistakes while the defense terrorizes Vandy's QB carousel. The line on this game is 20 points, which seems reasonable except that Vandy always plays us close, regardless of the circumstances. I'm expecting a win, but I also expect the Dores to play much better than last week and cover the spread.

Speaking of this matchup of teams, I watched the premiere of the SEC Storied documentary It's Time on the SEC Network last night, which tells the story of Chucky Mullins and Brad Gaines. For those who don't know or rememeber, Mullins was an Ole Miss DB who was paralyzed from the neck down while making a touchdown saving tackle on Vandy RB Gaines during a game in October 1989. My family and I were at the game, 20 yard line seats on the home side about 15 rows up, so the play happened right in front of us. Among other things, the documentary examines the enormous outpouring of support for Chucky and his lasting legacy on the Ole Miss football program, as well as the devastating emotional impact the tragedy had on Gaines. Powerful stuff that brought back a flood of memories for me.

Other thread was at 20 pages and was started in the off-season. Regardless, lets start this thread with old news that is new again. So now almost two years after the incident, Florida State is conducting their mandatory review of the Winston rape case?!!? How does that even happen?

I don't have a clue what happened that night, but our justice system has gone through their process and moved on... if this investigation really is just a procedural thing required under federal rules regarding sexual assault on campus, why wasn't this done sooner? At the very least at some point during an academic turn that did not include the football season thereby making this even more of a circus than it already is. :stunned:

OU suspended their starting middle linebacker this offseason after a Title IX investigation found him "responsible" for some sort of sexual misconduct.

The Title IX review process for sexual assaults, as well as federal arm twisting and incentives to convict, is incredibly disturbing. The process uses a "preponderance of the evidence" standard, which is frankly unacceptable for something that is a quasi-criminal judicial proceeding. Hopefully high profile sports cases bring the attention necessary to change the process.

The Title IX review process for sexual assaults, as well as federal arm twisting and incentives to convict, is incredibly disturbing. The process uses a "preponderance of the evidence" standard, which is frankly unacceptable for something that is a quasi-criminal judicial proceeding. Hopefully high profile sports cases bring the attention necessary to change the process.

It seems like a review process would be appropriate not to re-try the case or to declare people guilty or not guilty who have been judged by the justice system, but to evaluate how the school preformed in cooperating with legal processes and what procedures schools should use in protecting students during criminal cases.

I don't think it's totally unfair that universities might have a different standard for investigation, just like you can win a case in civil court against someone who was ruled not guilty in criminal court. I remember some time ago that there was a lot of outrage about a high school alleged rapist football player whose accuser had to choose between cheering for him or being the one to quit her team (and eventually stop coming to class? My memory is fuzzy). Most of the outrage was in the direction that the school would let the football player keep playing while his accuser had to be the one to withdraw from her activities and sports to avoid him. It makes sense that a school would have some standard of deciding when an allegation is serious enough that a player should be withdrawn from the team until criminal investigations are complete. That still doesn't make it acceptable to pressure for a legal conviction.

Thought about shaving a chinstrap beard today for the UofL game. You know; when in Rome...

:lol:

I'll be happy if Bobby P stops at 50, but the man has never been known for his mercy.

We'll see how we come out for the second half, but that first half was great. 300+ yards of offense. 30 points. 10 different receivers. 3 different RBs each scored a TD. Defense gave up less than 70 yards, 4 first downs and 0 points.

I'm starting to remember what it's like beating up on the cupcakes. Been a while...

Go Gators!

edit - of course we did have to have what looked like a season-ending injury to a transfer tight end who was going to be a really big part of this new offense. I'm trying to stay positive for now though...

So, so bad.IDK what they thought they were doing down there. If they aren't willing to let Hogan throw in high-leverage situations, the offense will be hamstrung all year.

It's just one game, but Florida just won 65-0. That's a Spurrier-era score. This is the team that struggled to just get first downs last year. And 650 yards of offense (what we got tonight) was about 3 games worth.

Defense was suffocating as usual, and unlike last year where we only forced 18 turnovers all year, we had 5 today. That's back to 2012 level of "give me that fuckin' ball running back".

Roper passed the first test. Games only get harder, but one thing I liked was that while the offense looked incredibly efficient today, it also seemed to be fairly watered down. I think there's plenty we didn't show, for instance we didn't seem to let Driskel run at all. He had about 10 chances to gain 30+ yards by just holding it on the read option and he gave it up every single time. You have to think his legs will play a bigger role going forward. But he seemed totally in command of the offense, which is impressive since it's his 3rd new scheme at UF. But everything seemed to come easy tonight, and again this was an overmatched opponent but things weren't easy on offense the last few years if we were playing against air.

Also got the freshman a couple of throws, and his 2 were probably the prettiest of the night. 2-2, 140something yards and 2 TDs.

A feel-good win at a time we surely needed one. SEC starts up next week, can't wait.

Go Gators!

Archived