True Detective X - Bring Ginger Into Your Heart (Season One spoilers, Season Two speculation / casting)

SpaceChampion

Tor.com reports a rumour about the 2nd season of True Detective being based off of

Pynchon's Crying of Lot 49. I've never read that, but there is a mention of Trystero, which my googling says is connected to Yoyodyne (so thread title gets a Buckeroo Bonzai reference).

Also, Justin Lin rumoured to direct the entire season. I thought they had decided not to have only a single director? I like auteur aesthetic TD has had in season one, so glad to hear this rumour.

But I would have thought they'd be filming already by now.

The Emmy's were not lying when they said the only remaining people in Hollywood not rumored to join the season 2 cast of True Detective were Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson. Rachel McCadams now, are you shitting me?

We've got Vince Vaughan and Rachel McCadams, so let's just go ahead and cast Owen Wilson and Christopher Walken. We'll do a Wedding Crashers/True Detective crossover/parody.

If you give all of Rustin Cohle's dialogue from Season 1 to Christopher Walken and put him inside of a room that has a funhouse mirror, I will give HBO all of my money.

Nic Pizzolatto originally said that there would be multiple directors for Season 2, but Justin Lin is the only director to be attached by name so far. He wouldn't comment on it in detail, but it seemed to be a pretty well known fact that Pizzolatto and Fukunaga did not get along at all, and constantly clashed over the direction of the series.

Which honestly just sounds crazy to me, seeing as how the whole season seemed to be in such perfect lock-step.

Huh. I'm surprised.

I'm really starting to think that true detective season 1 is going to be a lot like the killers first album. Absolutely brilliant and not at all indicative that future work would be better.

Article titled Did Behind-The-Scenes Turmoil Cost True Detective Emmy Votes?

http://truedetectiverumors.com/2014/09/02/behind-scenes-turmoil-cost-true-detective-emmy-votes/

Really not much of an article. I swear there used to be so many more in-depth articles on the internet about the feud between Pizzolatto and Fukunaga and I can no longer find any of them. I wonder if they were pulled.

It will be interesting to see who between writer and director had the most influence on season 1. It could turn out that neither work as well on their own.

A bit of creative conflict can sometimes aid the final product - especially if they passionately argue over the interpretation of scenes.

It doesn't surprise me that the two may fall out as in TV a lot of the praise tends to go to the writer. Given Fukunaga's movie background (and the fact he directed the whole series) I can see why he'd expect to get full credit.

The ultimate irony could be that it was the two leads who had the biggest impact on the show. I tend to think it's a gestalt thing overall. I also fail to see how the two not getting along cost them emmy votes.

(total aside....I agree that the first Killers album is brilliant, but I actually think that they have a solid handful of comparably good songs spread across the rest of their work...just with more filler and crap with it...Hot Fuss is easily the best overall record).

Hot Fuss is a ridiculously unbalanced album. The first six songs are brilliant. The second six are the very definition of filler.

Day and Age is a much better album, though I haven't fully listened to any of the others for some reason.

Anyway, the Justin Lin rumour- I'd be really surprised if he was directing the whole season, given that (1) he quit the Fast & Furious series because they were asking him to work too fast one film after the other, and by all accounts directing the whole first season of TD really took it out of Fukunaga, and (2) he's supposed to be directing a Bourne film too, isn't he?

Also: he seems a damn weird choice, based on his film experience which is mostly Fast & Furious films...

• 2 weeks later...

Nic Pizzolatto originally said that there would be multiple directors for Season 2, but Justin Lin is the only director to be attached by name so far. He wouldn't comment on it in detail, but it seemed to be a pretty well known fact that Pizzolatto and Fukunaga did not get along at all, and constantly clashed over the direction of the series.

Which honestly just sounds crazy to me, seeing as how the whole season seemed to be in such perfect lock-step.

Well, the director has alot of the control late in the process so it may look lock-step simply because Fukunaga took the scripts and made it his style, which Pizzolatto then complained about but couldn't actually change cause it's too late.

There was a reason Fukunaga won the Emmy and everyone else was basically snubbed. My hopes for the next season are low and I predict this turning into a basically standard detective mystery show with hints of fantastical elements that never truly deliver.

There was a reason Fukunaga won the Emmy and everyone else was basically snubbed. My hopes for the next season are low and I predict this turning into a basically standard detective mystery show with hints of fantastical elements that never truly deliver.

Um, because the Emmy voters are dumbasses who simply repeat what they did last year unless someone forces them to do otherwise?

True Detective Season 2 might as well be a documentary about casting the show. When is Season 2 going to air? 2016?

Disc 6 on the boxset! and 7 and 8.

I wonder if the delays now are because they have an actor but they need to get schedules to align? The problem with going for hollywood actors is that they are usually busy - especially if you are casting several of them.

Um, because the Emmy voters are dumbasses who simply repeat what they did last year unless someone forces them to do otherwise?

Or there was in fact better writers and actors, but not a better director. IMO he made that show.

Archived