True Detective X - Bring Ginger Into Your Heart (Season One spoilers, Season Two speculation / casting)

SpaceChampion

Or there was in fact better writers and actors, but not a better director. IMO he made that show.

Matthew McConaughey should have beat Cranston imo. I definitely wouldn't say Cranston is a better actor than McConaughey. In general, or in the respective seasons they were nominated for (BB S5) & (TD S1).

Yeah the direction was awesome on TD but it certainly didn't make the show for me. Just enhanced my viewing pleasure. The writing and especially acting were still both top notch imo.

Wouldnt argue with someone who feels like the direction was the seasons strongest feature though.

Edit: the emmys really mean fuck all imo

And hey, if you want a little more Mcconaughey with a Rust vibe, just look to his new Lincoln commercial...

Yeah that was weird.

"Life is meaningless, you're a biological accident, but hey buy this car. P. Diddy liked it at some point."

Matthew McConaughey should have beat Cranston imo. I definitely wouldn't say Cranston is a better actor than McConaughey. In general, or in the respective seasons they were nominated for (BB S5) & (TD S1).

I almost agree with you, but the last couple episodes of TD were nowhere near as good as the first few. Some of the writing was plain bad and some of the delivery was cringe worthy. Personally, I thought they really dropped the ball on the last 2 episodes. BB was more consistent IMO, but it's like arguing whether peanut butter or jelly is better on toast. They're both good in their own ways and comparing them will come down to personal taste.

For season 2, without the director and awesome actors it's going to be really difficult to have lightning strike twice. My expectations are low

I still think a big part of the show (for the board at least) was the layered referencing and conspiracies. But it turned out it was mostly accidental and not by design. It left me wondering if Nic is flukey or so good his work can be interpreted in different ways.

We'll soon see with the second season.

IMO, not only is Cranston the better actor, Walter White will be the more enduring character.

Acting, I'm not so sure but I agree with the character. It also helps that Walt had 60+ hours of screen time to Rust's 8 hours.

Walter White will be the more enduring character.

Probably seeing as people watched him week after week for like 6 years. I think its pretty remarkable how popular the Rust character got for how short lived He was. Cranston and MM are both super talented actors, won't even bother to call one better than the other. I do think MMs performance on True Detective was a tad better than Cranstons season 5 showing but its awfully close and probably comes down to which show you enjoyed more.

Undoubtedly True Detective and Rust were pretty amazing pop-culture sensations, but I think part of that comes from MM's enormous celebrity beforehand and then taking on a role that really confounded our expectations of him (probably even more than Dallas Buyer's Club or Mud, both of which I think he was also excellent in). Obviously the quality had to be there too for it to become as big as it did, but I think Breaking Bad's success was a little more hard earned.

In any case, I think MM was excellent as Rust, but Cranston, for me, over 5 season had a much wider range, and in S5, which frankly disappointed me a little, his performance was the brightest spot and what kept me engaged.

Or there was in fact better writers and actors, but not a better director. IMO he made that show.

No.

The Emmys long ago demonstrated their inability to make good choices. This isn't just about this year.

Regardless of who is the better actor, BB shouldn't be allowed to go up two years in the row for the same "season". Since AMC decided to play that game calling it the same season, then they ought to have been barred from being nominated again for it.

I'm hoping Dan and Dave realise that GRRM put Carcosa on the Land of Ice and Fire maps and drop some mentions of it in Season 5 of GoT, just to really mess with unsuspecting HBO viewers' heads.

Hot Fuss is a ridiculously unbalanced album. The first six songs are brilliant. The second six are the very definition of filler.

The only songs on the album I don't rate are "Andy, You're A Star" and "Everything Will Be Alright". "Glamourous Indie Rock and Roll", "Believe Me, Natalie", "Midnight Show", "On Top" and especially "Change Your Mind" are all pretty good tracks. They're just massively overshadowed by quintuple-whammy of those five opening tracks (and I still maintain "All These Things I've Done" should have closed the album). None of their other records really compare, falling back on the standard, "Three really good, obvious single tracks and the rest are kind of okay with the odd one that is shit" structure. Although Battle Born was a bit more consistently good throughout.

Why all the focus on Rust? I thought Woody was every bit as good in TD as MM. In fact, he got to display a lot more range, being both the macho man, the pathetic man, the repentant man, etc.

I get why Rust as a character is more memorable, but man, Hart (or the portrayal of him) isn't getting enough love.

Why all the focus on Rust? I thought Woody was every bit as good in TD as MM. In fact, he got to display a lot more range, being both the macho man, the pathetic man, the repentant man, etc.

I get why Rust as a character is more memorable, but man, Hart (or the portrayal of him) isn't getting enough love.

+1. Hart was an awesome character precisely b/c of his wide variety of flaws.

Both were equally awesome. Rust is just a bit ... showier.

I agree that they really dropped the ball on the last two episodes. And especially the last episode made the show feel very shallow. Like a lot of the show just didn't mean anything. So while the second season surely will be well-produced and look nice, I am not so sure it will be the same quality as True Detective first half. Just seemed like they hit all the right notes there and then it got worse.

Regarding Cranston and McCounaghey I think Cranston beats him but he also has more hours on screen. McC doesn't have any scenes like the one in the crawl space. What he does he does Rust great, but there is nowhere near the wide range Cranston got to show as Walter White. BB's final season was dissappointing too, and True Detective's ending was dissappointing. Just shows that there are few that can create a great ending.

As for season 2 I will see it, but I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking.

Fuck Mr White. Ginger will endure.

Nah. Nobody outside this forum cares about Ginger. I don't even know how some people here got this immature obsession about it.

And Breaking Bad will definitely be remembered more and impact future culture much more than True Detective can hope to do.

Archived