True Detective X - Bring Ginger Into Your Heart (Season One spoilers, Season Two speculation / casting)

SpaceChampion

I'm disappointed. I thought the supernatural backdrop to season 1 is what really made TD different. Sounds like it now becomes generic cops & robbers drama.

I don't know - I thought this as well but when I think about it for me it necessarily wasn't the supernatural that made the show. It was the willingness of people to follow this crazy pedo cult that was so disturbing.

Realizing just how pervasive it was, and how they could never root out all of it, I think that was what made the season so creepy. I mean you could have that flavor of insanity detached from Carcosa and the Yellow King...

Yeah the geographic - looks for right word - energy(?) influencing the narrative was one of the strongest points of the show. That's a better way of saying what I was trying to get at - it doesn't have to be supernatural it just has to feel like the the setting is, in some sense, a character in its own right.

Yes, exactly. This is exactly what I am thinking.

Louisiana is, by its very nature, a sort of creepy, supernatural place. I thought they captured that vibe perfectly in Season 1. There is a hedonistic glamour to California with a lot of violence thrown in for good measure - I'm very hopeful about this season.

I'm trying to think of books/movies/shows that have captured what I'm trying to describe about California...LA Confidential, the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly, even The Bridge although it wasn't set in California, but Texas.

Sci, ES,

But the "Yellow King; Caracosa" dynamic is what, seemed to me, to give... credence to the creepy celtic old world pagan mythos that seemed to power the conspiracy Rust and Marty brushed against in season 1. Remove that element and, to me, (again) this seems like just another crime drama about corrupt businessmen and burned out cops.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed there's no supernatural elements, at least as a backdrop as mentioned, but I guess it's a good thing they're not forcing something that they thought just wasn't there. I do have faith that it won't be just another cop drama but we'll see.

Sci, ES,

But the "Yellow King; Caracosa" dynamic is what, seemed to me, to give... credence to the creepy celtic old world pagan mythos that seemed to power the conspiracy Rust and Marty brushed against in season 1. Remove that element and, to me, (again) this seems like just another crime drama about corrupt businessmen and burned out cops.

If the location breathes and works as another character in its own right, such as what Louisiana did, does it mayer if it's a supernatural element? As long as it raises the bar for the characters.

Maybe now we won't get overwhelmed with outlandish theories this season. I'm fine with a more character driven show. At it's core that's what made season 1 great anyway. .

For sure the characters and as Sci said the setting being a character of itself is what's important to me, not the supernatural elements. Which at the end of the day didn't really go anywhere story wise, though it contributed nicely to the atmosphere/setting and Rusts character. I feel like it would honestly get repetitive if they transferred those vibes to California. I prefer each season have their own feel to it so I'm not disappointed at all.

Sci, ES,

Was it supposed to be Celtic/pagan in the plot? I just figured it was Lovecraftian weirdness but honestly I don't remember.

I think it's less the supernatural and more the irrationality. I mean even at the end we don't know if there is such a place as Carcosa, or a Yellow King beyond the veil. I do sorta see what you're getting at, in that you could feel a sense of rot even in stuff unrelated to the cult. Like something was just feeding on the moral decay and the way violence/sex exposed itself to adolescents/children.

I guess I'd just say give the "uncanny psychology", whatever that means, a shot (I keep thinking of Hotline Miami, where the protagonist is in a trippy existence w/out anything overtly supernatural). If S2 can give us the same "not in Kansas anymore, and btw we're fucked" feeling, or some other (perhaps Kafka-esque) environment, then it could be just as true to the feeling of True Detective established in S1.

You know, some of the creepiest movies I've ever seen had no supernatural elements. Silence of the Lambs, Shadow of a Doubt (classic Joseph Cotten movie - first serial killer movie ever; if you haven't seen it, watch it!), Whatever Happened to Baby Jane....I could go on and on.

I'm excited to see what they do with it. I'll be disappointed if it doesn't live up to season 1, but I would think they would want to do something very different from season 1. The comparisons are going to be bad enough without trying to repeat the formula.

• 1 month later...

Archived