Who is the greatest Sci-Fi movie director?

DraculaAD1972

If you don't think that 2001 had a massive influence on the genre then you are just plainly wrong.

I obviously can't say that a tradition of Sci-Fi in film wouldn't exist without the influence of 2001, but certainly all the films on this list were made possible by its existence.

First and foremost, I have nothing but love in my heart for all of you guys as well, but I have, and always will think that Kubrik is one of the most over rated directors of all time. 2001 the movie did things well, but wasn't even close to being as good as the Arthur C Clark book (that was being written at the same time by the way.) Although it is hailed as one of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time, It paled in comparison to the source material. I also personally found long stretches of the movie that were dull and overtly pompous. I will say however that the acting choice that he used for HAL was brilliant. That voice was completely outside the box and it was perfect.

I also to this day do not understand all of the hatred for Prometheus. That movie was not as good as Scott's other sci-fi offerings, but it was still extremely enjoyable. I think that the opening sequence of that movie alone was one of the best things I have ever seen on film that had anything to do with science fiction.

I would sincerely argue that Stanley Kubrick's influence on film is, in actuality, underrated. Try to find me a film before The Killing that removed walls from sets in order to get certain tight shots, or tracking shots like the ones in the trenches in Paths of Glory. Like with 2001, Kubrick's brilliant contributions to film are taken for granted, and obscured by the endless copycats who have come since.

This is natural, and expected. But give the guy his due. He was a genius. A strange and unpleasant man, by most accounts, but he was a brilliant and highly influential filmmaker.

If 2001 was so influential, you would expect Hollywood to mine the hell out of that. But they haven't - the only one they did do was 2010, which is another anti-Kubrick feather since it looks and feels absolutely unlike 2001! And nothing else has been done.

Because sci fi moved entirely on from 2001.

I'd say Alien owes a huge debt to 2001. The stark environment. The near soundless space/planetside scenes. The malevelont computer/android.

If you're going to point to T2 as the birth of CGI (and I agree, it most likely is) then I think you'd have to give 2001 the nod for lighting, atmosphere and special effects that were imitated by countless sci-fi movies that followed it.

This gets away from the thrust of the thread, but part of my love for Kubrick comes from how different his oeuvre was. He was all over the place, genre-wise, and he was nearly always excellent.

He became so engrossed in the vast context of his films, and also their smallest details, and made them (mostly) over such long periods of time, it is understandable that he would move from one idea to something quite different, I think.

For the Monkey...

One of the best sci-fi films ever? Star Wars and Bladerunner

One of the best cold war films ever? The Manchurian Candidate

One of the best philosophical films ever? Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

One of the best Vietnam war films ever? Apocalypse Now

One of the best ancient Rome films ever? Ben-Hur

One of the best weird-ass modern sexual films ever? Barbarella

When that one movie is Star Wars I think it's deserved.

Star Wars isn't even the best Star Wars film. So not really.

As much as I fucking LOVE Blade Runner to DEATH and Alien; Ridley is waaaaay too over the place genre wise AND quality wise.

[...]

Might have to agree with Cameron here. He's arguably the most sci-fi of the lot and a force in helping steer the genre into where it is now.

Cameron is also all over the place genre and quality-wise, though... I mean Avatar, pffffffft.

I'm also disappointed that given some of the directors listed in the OP there's been no mention of Terry '12 Monkeys, Brazil' Gilliam.

Haha, well, I wasn't saying that my SK examples were #1 in each case but that they were in the discussion. The actual answers are in red above.

I knew what films you were talking about, but I had an overwhelming desire to be a smart ass... I hope you aren't offended.

Out of all of the films you countered with, only Dr. Strangelove deserves to be mentioned among the finest in its category to me. Full Metal Jacket is one half of a brilliant film as well.

Lucas only because Star Wars is not only the greatest sci-fi movie (specifically the Empire Strikes Back) series imo, but it not only influenced sci-fi but basically all subsequent movies and how they are made.

The writing for the prequels sucked, and Rick McCallum should have never been allowed to be part of the project, but that doesn't diminish the importance of the original trilogy. Also not a fan of the "special edition" additions for the most part, specifically the cringe worthy musical act in RotJ. Awful.

Incidentally, I like nearly every movie and director listed here.

Lucas only because Star Wars is not only the greatest sci-fi movie (specifically the Empire Strikes Back) series imo, but it not only influenced sci-fi but basically all subsequent movies and how they are made.

The writing for the prequels sucked, and Rick McCallum should have never been allowed to be part of the project, but that doesn't diminish the importance of the original trilogy. Also not a fan of the "special edition" additions for the most part, specifically the cringe worthy musical act in RotJ. Awful.

Incidentally, I like nearly every movie and director listed here.

Unfortunately for Lucas, Empire can't be counted - as it was directed by Irvin Kershner, with Lucas as producer and story (not screenplay) writer. If Empire was included, Lucas would certainly get a higher ranking.

Archived