Who is the greatest Sci-Fi movie director?

DraculaAD1972

Gladiator / Spartacus

Hannibal / the Shining

Alien / 2001

Back Hawk Down/ Full metal Jacket

The Duellists / Barry Lyndon

BladeRunner/ A Clockwork Orange

Scott has emulated Kubrick by working in many genres, but only equals or exceeds him when it comes to sci-fi.

You are right that Kubrick has an unchanging style. Whatever the genre, his films with the exception of Spartacus, always have that Kubrick feel.

Crossing into multiple genres is hardly emulation. It's crossing genres, unless, of course Kubrick also did a bad girls on the run film like Thelma and Louise and a crime noir like Black Rain. However, I'm pleased to see you break the movies down that way. It serves to prove my ranking as I'd take the Scott film over the Kubrick film each and every time.

Don't get me wrong I love Arnold, Cameron, miniguns, explosions, "chillout dickwad" and little Eddie Furlong to death(I hope no one's getting me wrong) but I have a huge hard on for 80s cinema. :)

I'll definitely have to check out that youtube video because the only closure I have is from the godawful ps2 game that's supposed to be a sequel. Childs is frozen sitting up in the same place they left him at the end of the movie. Pretty anti climactic.

I played that game but quit after failing to beat the dog-thing. The video is by a guy called Rob Ager- I'd also recommend his analysis of Kubrick's films.

Crossing into multiple genres is hardly emulation. It's crossing genres, unless, of course Kubrick also did a bad girls on the run film like Thelma and Louise and a crime noir like Black Rain. However, I'm pleased to see you break the movies that way. It serves to prove my ranking as I'd take the Scott film over the Kubrick film each and every time.

Bad girls on the run- Lolita

Crime Noir- The Killing

I would choose Scott for Blade Runner and Alien, also The Duellists. I would choose Kubrick for Lolita and The Shining, also Full Metal Jacket and The Killing. Spartacus v Gladiator I can't be sure as I like both equally.

Bad girls on the run- Lolita

Crime Noir- The Killing

I would choose Scott for Blade Runner and Alien, also The Duellists. I would choose Kubrick for Lolita and The Shining, also Full Metal Jacket and The Killing. Spartacus v Gladiator I can't be sure as I like both equally.

I think that you're taking things to an incredibly superficial level to compare most, if any of the films in question. The only comparison that moves beyond the superficial is Gladiator/Sparticus and some of the others stretch the term superficial to incredulous levels.

Kubrick was Kubrick. He seems to be lauded throughout the industry as a genius. I hear the same thing about Terrence Mallick. At the end of the day, both of them may produce fabulous art, but both are also frequently long winded and far less entertaining, for me, than many directors of "lesser talent". Scott, for instance, for me is the preference in each and every category. However, I'd also a lot of other directors ahead of Kubrick as well.

Archived