The First Law by Joe Abercrombie Vx (spoilers through LAOK for now)

Pilusmagnus

None of the character's are cliche. Read the books.

I don't intend the word cliché to be negative at all. Cliché is a characterization device in these books. The author uses many traditionnal figures of fantasy and historical fiction (the sadistic Inquisitor, the headless barbarian, the selfish and megalomaniac noble soldier, the all-knowing mage and his apprentice) to help us imagine them and empathize with them quickly and then twists them to do something more interesting. They are cliché, but they are not flat, if you thought that is what I meant.

You created a thread called The First Law, while you haven't read all the books?

I assume the people on THIS forum are mature enough to put a spoiler alert if I tell them I haven't read all the books, contrary to youtube fucktards. Am I wrong?

For now there's no problem though.

On topic: Alan Rickman for Glokta! :commie:

Meh. Too cold. Glokta is more Gollum-like.

I don't intend the word cliché to be negative at all. Cliché is a characterization device in these books. The author uses many traditionnal figures of fantasy and historical fiction (the sadistic Inquisitor, the headless barbarian, the selfish and megalomaniac noble soldier, the all-knowing mage and his apprentice) to help us imagine them and empathize with them quickly and then twists them to do something more interesting. They are cliché, but they are not flat, if you thought that is what I meant.

lets just say Abercrombie enjoy subverting tropes and cliches. And if you want things put into spoilers change the thread title to The Blade Itself instead of First Law.

I always felt Zeljko Ivanek would make a great Glokta. People tend to forget Glokta isn't that old - it's just his injuries make him appear old. Zeljko may even be too old in that regard. I also wonder how Glokta would even work on screen without a voice-over (dexter style) for his inner thoughts. What we see of him through the eyes of others is usually a lot less entertaining. Although his scenes with Jezal were still fun.

Thank you Karl Marx!

I don't know that Ivanek guy, but he does have the good face for it.

Also, by looking at a poll in the wiki, I see that Jezal is the least favorite PoV character from the three main ones. Strange. I find his chapters the most hilarious of all, and his character is the most entertaining in my opinion. I understand why Glokta is at the top, but how can Logen be higher than Jezal?

Thank you Karl Marx!

I don't know that Ivanek guy, but he does have the good face for it.

Also, by looking at a poll in the wiki, I see that Jezal is the least favorite PoV character from the three main ones. Strange. I find his chapters the most hilarious of all, and his character is the most entertaining in my opinion. I understand why Glokta is at the top, but how can Logen be higher than Jezal?

Logen is one of my favorites, and I don't understand how many people don't like Jezal, he is one of the best. I loved all the PoVs in the six books, there was only one I didn't enjoyed that much from The Heroes.

Logen is one of my favorites, and I don't understand how many people don't like Jezal, he is one of the best. I loved all the PoVs in the six books, there was only one I didn't enjoyed that much from The Heroes.

Ferro is boring however. She just hates everything.

The Heroes had by far the best POV's, in my opinion. Loved everyone of them

Archived