The First Law by Joe Abercrombie Vx (spoilers through LAOK for now)

Pilusmagnus

Just finished Last Arguments of Kings and was very impressed with ending. I love these books and I'm go to start The Heroes tonight. I read a review so we're basically sticking to the same story, same characters?

So is Bayaz gonna be featured prominently? I figured he would stay in the shadows. Like how he was doing before the series began. Please don't spoil me though.

Just finished Last Arguments of Kings and was very impressed with ending. I love these books and I'm go to start The Heroes tonight. I read a review so we're basically sticking to the same story, same characters?

While the three books are billed as "standalone" novels... I really wouldn't read them out of order. I'd read Best Served Cold before The Heroes. While the stories really can be read separately, reading The Heroes will feature a "minor" character who was a major character in BSC and Heroes will ruin the progress you get from his story.

Just my opinion, but I think its held up through the many iterations of the "What order should I read Abercrombie" threads that seem to crop up.

While the three books are billed as "standalone" novels... I really wouldn't read them out of order. I'd read Best Served Cold before The Heroes. While the stories really can be read separately, reading The Heroes will feature a "minor" character who was a major character in BSC and Heroes will ruin the progress you get from his story.

Just my opinion, but I think its held up through the many iterations of the "What order should I read Abercrombie" threads that seem to crop up.

That's my bad, I am starting Best Served Cold. I guess The Hero's was in my mind because I just read both reviews. Damn Rhom last night a base a argument about k state beating Auburn ( wich I was wrong) and today this. I'm going senile and I'm only 34.

ETA: But, I thank the both of you! I just checked out reading order and the reviews. Man, my 20's must've done some damage, LOL.

Hmmm, everyone in BTaH while on their journey through The Old Empire, kept having thoughts that something was wrong with him. Talked how he started looking sickly and how he would just stare off and not say much to anyone. Three things were the clincher though. First, when Jezal was finally able to eat and he chowed down his horse stew and was searching for more, Qaui offered up his with no hesitation. That's odd, seeming how they were down to rotten meat and whatever they could scavenge. Secondly, when Bayaz is knocked out from using too much magic (I presume), he shows no worry or emotion, just sets and stares at him. Finally, when they found what they thought was the seed, I felt like he was ready to kill for it by his reaction.

Eta: grammar

Yeah, there certainly were a lot of hints, the most obvious being that during their journey west he was acting completely different than at the beginning.

His interactions with Logen were practically non-existent. With a man that saved his life, his only actual friend! But I admit I rather thought he wasn't a friend of Bayaz from the beginning and was only a master of disguise.

Yeah, there certainly were a lot of hints, the most obvious being that during their journey west he was acting completely different than at the beginning.

His interactions with Logen were practically non-existent. With a man that saved his life, his only actual friend! But I admit I rather thought he wasn't a friend of Bayaz from the beginning and was only a master of disguise.

Yes definitely his interactions with him fell off and to your second point, I had weird feeling about him from the beginning too. But, didn't get what I needed til BTaH.

There was definitely something odd about Malacus after the first book, but I don't see the evidence for guessing what actually happened. Just that something did.

No I never guessed what happened. My post was a few pages back. I said something along the lines of he is something other than what he seems.

Samwell Joramun, now that you're done with the trilogy, and that You know that Malacus Quai was actually Tolomei, can you tell me what made you guess that he was not who he claimed? Because I had no idea before the reveal!

wow thanks for covering that with spoiler warnings

I was actually making an exception for you, but that is actually true, so sorry.

Yea, I started a Malazan thread while reading the series. I wanted it to be a place where I could ask ?'s and have them answered. Same thing happened to me, so I just made it so that if it could spoil anyone, just tag it. Its not hard to do, and keeps your thread full of discussion. I'm not suggesting anything to you, its your thread and have been very hospitable to me.

Archived