Season 5 Casting, News and Speculation V 5

ctid1977

The ironborn are very relevant to the series endgame. They are in control of the dragon horn, possibly the only thing which can control dragons. By the end of twow they could very well secure a large portion of the Reach making them serious contenders for the IT. Removing the IB from the series would be a huge mistake in my opinion.

Or a warg...

No, you're assuming they are. You don't know what happens in the next two books- they do. It's as simple as that. For all we know, that dragon horn does nothing and Victarion becomes the next Quentyn. They know what's important to the story they are telling- we can't say whether they are making a mistake or not until after it has all played out.

With the amount of time the books have spent building the greyjoy storyline, and the new influences they are having in KL and meereen, I find it hard to believe that they will have no impact on the outcome of the series.

Daario is Daario. D and D implied in their recent Masterclass in Sevilla that it was Ed Skrein who left the production and it wasn't their choice to recast, so we oughtn't read too much into him looking so different between s3 and 4. Why they didn't at least shave Huisman or pop on a stupid wig on the guy to make the recast make more sense I don't know BUT WHATEVER he's a way better actor than Skrein so jarring as it was, it was for the best.

Glad to see folks are talking about the show again and I'm surprised to see so much love for AFFC and the new faces it brought in.

Ed Skrein made a much better Daario than Huisman. He looked like a d-bag, but that was the point.

I kind've like the new Daario, which is so not the point.

Euron is too good of a character not to make it into the series. Excluding him from season 5 is a big mistake in my opinion

Euron is still a possibility, though I guess it really depends on what he gets up to in TWOW and ADOS (if he even lives through book six, that is). If we do get the Battle of Ice either in late s5 or early s6, I wonder what that will mean for the Yara/Euron conflict IF he is included further down the line. If Yara does die in early TWOW would they then spare her in the show for the sake of his setup? Or could they introduce him through another character? It's hard to say. IF she lives to bring Theon home to Pyke in the books (unlikely I think, but who the fuck knows) then maybe they introduce Euron THEN. If he does have a big impact on Dany's storyline though, they're sure to include him, even as a one-off, only-lives-for-a-season villain.

The cuts we're seeing are a paring down of ASOIAF's Act Two. Basically they want to get to Act Three soon, just like book readers do. It was either buy time with an overlong Act Two (which some folks think GrrM did with AFFC and ADWD and what we know GrrM had suggested the showrunners do) OR simplify things in order to get through Act Two in one season. Even if some of what they've cut would've been good TV, I accept it gladly since it will get us into TWOW material sooner. AND WE KNOW that if the book doesn't come out in 2016, we'll get TWOW on the show that year anyways. :devil: [villainous laughter]

Ed Skrein made a much better Daario than Huisman. He looked like a d-bag, but that was the point.

Euron is too good of a character not to make it into the series. Excluding him from season 5 is a big mistake in my opinion

I liked Ed much more at the start, but Michael has grown on me.

In any case, I'm curious as to Tom Wlaschiha's role. Everyone assumes its the kindly man, but the role still hasn't been revealed. Do we know if he was filming with Maisie already?

To sum his interview up:

- he loved that we got to see this other side of Thorne

- he was really excited about the speech

- filming it was a pain in the ***, because it was raining cats and dogs and he was practically surfing down the stairs

- Thorne will be back in season 5 and he will not agree with everything Stannis said

- Thorne will continue being the lone wolf on the Wall (pun intended)

Good to know that we'll have him back. Show-Thorne is much more interesting than book-Thorne and I am looking forward to seeing more of him.

Oh God I hope that means Thorne and Stannis will be sniping at each other, or at the very least about each other. :box:

I thought Show!Thorne was brilliant in S4.

Yeah I thought the whole point was you're meant to think Daario is skeevy. The new guy just seems like an amiable rascal. It sounds like "other things" were happening relating to that recast anyway. But it definitely wasn't replacing like with like!

The problem I have with D&D delaying some of the Greyjoy stroyline is, that they cant delay Yara's storyline as she has got to be at Deepwood Motte to get captured by Stannis and join Stannis/Theon storyline. I find this a massive missed opportunity as would have been great the interaction between Yara and Euron. Now if Euron is delayed who is he going to interact with? Plus if they suddenly show a guy suddenly in ship in the beginning of s6 by Meeren with a dragonhorn, the viewers will be really confused. Thats what they are trying to prevent with Jamie and Bronn going to Dorne, to show a new House/culture through the 'eyes' of an established character, this is not going to be the case with Euron. So they could just do what they did the DS and introduce them to these new characters without any known character to the viewers.

Just wonder who Euron is going to interact with? Since Vic is almost certainty cut, will it be Aeron? I dont know, but we know Euron is not at the Iron Islands and Aeron is, so really puzzled how they are going to establish that storyline

There was nothing planned or scripted for replacing Ed Skrein. He just got a massive opportunity as an Actor to play the lead in an established action film franchise and the filming clashed with Game of Thrones.

Archived