Season 5 Casting, News and Speculation V 5

ctid1977

It could be interesting for them to use the fact that Balon hasn't died yet on the show as a plot point for Stannis to start to doubt Mel's powers in season 5. If they do make that a point it could add to when she tells Jon about what she sees about him in the flames in a way that leads the audience to speculate on weather she really sees the future or not.

I agree. The little things that Mel got wrong in the books will probably be skipped; the leeches thing would be a reasonable way to make Melissandre fallible on the show. I doubt that was the initial plan when they wrote the leech scene in season 3, but it could work.

I also agree with you about Deepwood Motte; it wasn't particularly clear that Yara captured a northern castle called Deepwood Motte even back in season 2. Since it hasn't been mentioned since then, and since Yara hasn't been there in two seasons, Yara suddenly having a Northern castle would come out of the blue.

The point about the game is interesting, Konradsmith. But it seems like a weak point of evidence for the inclusion of Deepwood Motte in the show - balancing gameplay could just have required another northern location. Or the makers of the game could have been working from the books rather than working from the season script.

Cutting the Greyjoy plot is the sort of thing that makes me think that they don't plan anything in advance and just make it up as they go. [...]

Same goes for Rickon, seems like he'll be gone for two seasons. Why even introduce him? He adds nothing to the plot, just make the Starks have four children.

I think the consistency issues are mostly due to D&D working with the same thing we had in season 1 - 3: 5 books and lots of speculation. Then they had that fateful chat with GRRM. It's as if your boss told you to design a website for their company and halfway through he suddenly tells you that he is going to axe department X and expand department Y in the next few years. Changing info, changing needs.

As for Rickon, can you imagine the armageddon we would have gotten on this forum if they had actually done that?

Not sure if this has been referenced already, but Alfie has said he's been filming? I haven't seen any evidence of that...

http://news.moviefone.com/2014/10/23/alfie-allen-john-wick/

We know for a fact that filming has been going on in Moneyglass, which was rumored, if not even confirmed to be Winterfell (can't remember which). We also know from experience that much of their filming is done quietly behind shot doors in Belfast studios. We also know that Theon's storyline is among the biggest and most important in book 4 and 5. I never had a doubt about him being in.

I'm sure this EW article is well known. Really no new info from the article itself, but I thought the comment section had an interesting exchange with the author/mod of the article. It pretty much confirms that the Greyjoys are not going to be featured.

James Hibberd Mod Sean_C • 2 days ago

[...]I'm not saying S5 won't have any Iron Islands scenes, only that my understand is the big book 4 subplot isn't a part of S5.

Can this man please make up his f***ing mind? Are the Iron Islands (not Euron, Victarion, Aeron or whatever C characters they had in the books) in or not? Yes or no? Simple question, not rocket science.

But he's actually said he's filming for this season?

Yes/no. Isaac said the next big thing we should look forward to with him would be the next season of GoT. Whether he meant season 5 or 6, we don't know, but, from what I understand, the guy who played the three-eyed raven is confirmed to be in season 5, so I'm pretty sure Isaac is going to be there, too. Even if only for one or two episodes.

Who is Trystan Snow?

Another user who claimed that one of his friends was an extra in Croatia. His first posts actually sounded quite solid, but the more he posted, the more he smelled of troll. We get at least one of those every year. This year it's him and Patchface over at Watchers on the Wall - a great site for you, btw, if you really don't want to read the books just yet and not be spoiled. They put all the spoiler free info into the top of their articles and only post spoilers below the cut and in the comments (even then they're often hidden). Most of our casting/shooting info comes either from WotW, Twitter or actors' CVs.

I want to read the books. I really do. But should I just wait until the show concludes? That way I won't have to constantly compare the two and be upset over any changes in the show?

My advice as somebody who watched the show first and then read the books and likes both equally:

- Read book 1 - 3. Those have already been mostly covered by the show and they will give you great background info and more character info. Book 3 in particular is the best in the series.

- Once season 5 is over, read one of the two compilations that join book 4 and 5, because these books were split by geography: You've got the seven kingdoms in book 4 and Essos and North + beyond the Wall in book 5, which can make for a really, really long and boring trip if you go for half a book without getting to characters you really like. There are two compilations I know of which have reassembled the chapters into chronological order, both of which I find to be much more enjoyable:

--> Boiled leather: http://boiledleather.com/post/25902554148/a-new-reader-friendly-combined-reading-order-for-a

--> Ball of Beasts: http://ballofbeasts.weebly.com/chapters.html

After season 5, it will most likely no long matter, because chances of GRRM getting out book 6 and 7 in time to avoid spoilers through the show are horribly slim.

Whatever you do, be prepared to judge both show and book on their own merits and accept that they are different media with different requirements. You'll get much more satisfaction out of both of them that way.

I also agree with you about Deepwood Motte; it wasn't particularly clear that Yara captured a northern castle called Deepwood Motte even back in season 2. Since it hasn't been mentioned since then, and since Yara hasn't been there in two seasons, Yara suddenly having a Northern castle would come out of the blue.

Not quite true - Ramsay led Theon on his 'escape' in S3 by repeated mentions of Yara chilling at Deepwood Motte.

I think the consistency issues are mostly due to D&D working with the same thing we had in season 1 - 3: 5 books and lots of speculation. Then they had that fateful chat with GRRM. It's as if your boss told you to design a website for their company and halfway through he suddenly tells you that he is going to axe department X and expand department Y in the next few years. Changing info, changing needs.

As for Rickon, can you imagine the armageddon we would have gotten on this forum if they had actually done that?

We know for a fact that filming has been going on in Moneyglass, which was rumored, if not even confirmed to be Winterfell (can't remember which). We also know from experience that much of their filming is done quietly behind shot doors in Belfast studios. We also know that Theon's storyline is among the biggest and most important in book 4 and 5. I never had a doubt about him being in.

Can this man please make up his f***ing mind? Are the Iron Islands (not Euron, Victarion, Aeron or whatever C characters they had in the books) in or not? Yes or no? Simple question, not rocket science.

Yes/no. Isaac said the next big thing we should look forward to with him would be the next season of GoT. Whether he meant season 5 or 6, we don't know, but, from what I understand, the guy who played the three-eyed raven is confirmed to be in season 5, so I'm pretty sure Isaac is going to be there, too. Even if only for one or two episodes.

Another user who claimed that one of his friends was an extra in Croatia. His first posts actually sounded quite solid, but the more he posted, the more he smelled of troll. We get at least one of those every year. This year it's him and Patchface over at Watchers on the Wall - a great site for you, btw, if you really don't want to read the books just yet and not be spoiled. They put all the spoiler free info into the top of their articles and only post spoilers below the cut and in the comments (even then they're often hidden). Most of our casting/shooting info comes either from WotW, Twitter or actors' CVs.

My advice as somebody who watched the show first and then read the books and likes both equally:

- Read book 1 - 3. Those have already been mostly covered by the show and they will give you great background info and more character info. Book 3 in particular is the best in the series.

- Once season 5 is over, read one of the two compilations that join book 4 and 5, because these books were split by geography: You've got the seven kingdoms in book 4 and Essos and North + beyond the Wall in book 5, which can make for a really, really long and boring trip if you go for half a book without getting to characters you really like. There are two compilations I know of which have reassembled the chapters into chronological order, both of which I find to be much more enjoyable:

--> Boiled leather: http://boiledleather.com/post/25902554148/a-new-reader-friendly-combined-reading-order-for-a

--> Ball of Beasts: http://ballofbeasts.weebly.com/chapters.html

After season 5, it will most likely no long matter, because chances of GRRM getting out book 6 and 7 in time to avoid spoilers through the show are horribly slim.

Whatever you do, be prepared to judge both show and book on their own merits and accept that they are different media with different requirements. You'll get much more satisfaction out of both of them that way.

Awesome, Thanks! And thanks to everyone else who offered me advice and their opinions. So the chances of TwoW being out even before Season 6 is slim? That's a year and a half away.

Awesome, Thanks! And thanks to everyone else who offered me advice and their opinions. So the chances of TwoW being out even before Season 6 is slim? That's a year and a half away.

I would be shocked if it were. It's almost certainly not going to be out by the time the showrunners start writing the scripts for next season.

Late to the party but this quote stuck out to me. I mean are you serious? You think the show is lacking in complexity? I don't mean to be overtly dismissive but the one thing such an epic, convoluted story as this does not lack is complexity.

The books aren't lacking complexity, the show is. Take for example Dany's story in the book compared to the show. At the moment these things are running through dany's mind:

-Book: prophecies, sons of the harpy, dragons, war with yunkai, astapor and volantis, pale mare, fighting pits, dothraki, hostages

-Show: sons of the harpy, dragons, fighting pits, (possibly hostages).

Also think about Cersei's story next season. There are no kettleblacks, tyrion left on good terms with jaime so not sure whether that will be addressed. no seige at storms end or dragonstone. All they are emphasising is the Faith Militant and Lancel will probably stand in for all Cersei's adulterees (? is that a word lol).

Think about how the battle of winterfell will be without Manderley, lady Dustin, Umbers and Kartarks. Because this is how it is looking at the moment.

Myrcella is plot movement in the books. I think the show is making her into a person, especially if they give her a chance to challenge Jaime. And if showMyrcella decides to push her claim to the throne with Dornish support, then suddenly we have Dornish support for female rule back in the story.

What is the point of including the Ironborn if all their raids are offscreen? These people are supposed to be badass. If all they get to do is sit around and talk, they're not going to be the Ironborn that people wanted to see.

Why would Myrcella do this to her own brother?

The raids would be mostly offscreen to save budget. After Yara's 'rescue' last season i'm scared to even see them portray the ironborn raids.

I seriously doubt the Iron Islands would have only had 3 speaking parts and what about the Kingsmoot?-to do that right would require movie level production values.

Already addressed by GeneralKird. No stunts, no special effects (except maybe waves crashing), a few extras shouting and 3 main speaking roles. Yara, Euron and Aeron as the mediator.

Oh and tents and fire.

Actually, I think TWOW will be out during while Season 6 is being filmed. Maybe just a little after. Even if Martin is only up to 250 pages every year.

so, still no Wyman Manderly. fuck. and fuck again. that is all.

Hello Cas, sorry I missed ya. Yup, so far no Manderly and it's not looking good on that count, not for Lord Too Fat himself, anyway. There's been an article from EW about no on the Iron Islands this season, or something to that effect.

Balon: Every stronghold will yield to us one by one. Winterfell may defy us for a year, but what of it? The rest shall be ours-- forest, field and hall. Yara, my daughter, you'll take 30 longships to attack Deepwood Motte.

Yara: I've always wanted a castle

I love that people still expect to see Deepwood Motte after all that has been cut from the show already.

The problem is that we have no idea where Yara might go or what she might do if Vic/Aeron are delayed and Euron doesn't show up on screen. She can't go to Moat Cailin, making her go anywhere else on the NW coast doesn't make lots of sense except Deepwood Motte. I guess maybe she could attack the Shield Islands, hang out with Arya in Braavos?

Do we know who was filming Daznak's pit? If it was David Nutter, I don't think we'll have much room left for the battle of Meereen.

It's probably just an old casting report that thinks Daznak's Pit is a battle.

I want to read the books. I really do. But should I just wait until the show concludes? That way I won't have to constantly compare the two and be upset over any changes in the show?

That's a choice for you to make, without really knowing you, it's hard for me to say. It would depend on how fast you read, where you start (I'd start at the beginning book, AGOT), and how much you think changes would bother.

When the show is airing during the season, there are many more non spoiler threads around, but off season.....it seems not as likely. Anyway, just wanted you to know, if you really are trying not to be spoiled, this exact section and thread might not be best. Off season seems to be the most difficult when it comes to finding non spoiler threads and discussion. Good luck.

It could be interesting for them to use the fact that Balon hasn't died yet on the show as a plot point for Stannis to start to doubt Mel's powers in season 5. If they do make that a point it could add to when she tells Jon about what she sees about him in the flames in a way that leads the audience to speculate on weather she really sees the future or not.

Why would they? It was in ASOS that he has his biggest doubts about what she can do and what he's meant to do. Throughout ADWD/the tail end of ASOS, he's more accepting of her powers and his role than he is in any other book.

I read that as them wanting 86000 extras. The actual thing makes more sense. :drunk:

Archived