Season 5 Casting, News and Speculation V 5

ctid1977

I wouldn't say all the filler is badly written at all, it's just not from the books. Even GRRM has gone on record saying he liked and would like to have written something like the Robert/Cersei interaction from season 1.

That scene wasnt filler.

Really curious to see those war meetings on screen ! I think Stannis dealing with so many different factions will make for amazing TV !

I don't think it would be necessarily too soon, as he left ep 8 (?) and Daznak's pit has to be ep8 (or above) so a whole season pretty much. And plus they wouldn't interact at all.

I guess I'm expecting their reunion to be much later...maybe it gets teased next season but then doesn't happen (like every other reunion in the story, lol).

Please please please please let Penny be cut.

Edit:

Loboda: A man in his 40s, the powerful leader of a cannibalistic tribe and a take-no-prisoners killer. The show is looking for an actor who is Eastern European or Russian, or can use an Eastern European accent. The actor must be bald or have a shaved head, be athletic in build, fit and strong. Loboda has a long scene with leading cast members where a battle plan is discussed. The actor is needed for shoots in Northern Ireland onNovember 5th.

WHAT!!!!! Could the Wildlings be joining Stannis in the Battle of Ice or will this be a separate non POV scene from TWOW where the remaining wildlings get attacked buy the Others.

It doesn't sound like he's actually going to be in a battle. I imagine it's that scene where they're discussing the attack on the Dreadfort.

ETA: "Long scene". Long scene. Presumably with Stannis. What bizarro world is this?

But Toby does look hispanic...maybe he's more on the pale side but if he's mother is caucasion then i don't think there is a problem with his skin tone. I'm pretty sure he'll have a darker tan when filming then what he does in the casting video. if you look at other photos he does have darker skin to traditionally-british people

This is for comparison

http://coolspotters.com/files/photos/1134868/dove-cameron-and-toby-sebastian-gallery.png

Didn't some people complain loudly about Pedro Pascal being "too white" for Oberyn when he was first cast?

This. Back when Pedro was announced as Oberyn everyone was crying "He's too white!" Can we PLEASE not get into that again?

New leaked casting calls for minor roles.

http://watchersonthewall.com/game-thrones-casting-wildling-leaders-pit-announcers-season-5/#comment-34835

It seems the show is committed to the concept of "cannibalistic tribes = Eastern Europeans"... :lol: :uhoh:

This sounds really interesting. So the HoBaW will be filmed in Northern Ireland? I'm glad we'll get to see that the Faceless Men are there to be more than just glorified assassins.

What will Tyrion do in the pit if there is no Penny? Will he just do something with Jorah? Would seem kind of weird, since Dany saves Tyrion and Penny's life, with Jorah replacing Penny, would seem to me that she would be very angry to see him again and might actually just let the lions eat them....ok probably not but the scene would be very different and have a very different reaction from Dany. Would seem hard to make it "work" with what Dany chooses to do in the book...

I can see two scenarios here:

- Tyrion will be made to face a lion in the arena, all by himself (cue Dany chiming in about how a man that size clearly has no chance against a lion and she wants the fights to stop immediately)

- Tyrion and Jorah are made to perform together (with or without a lion) (cue Dany realising how low Jorah has fallen since she banished him and she takes pity and orders the fights to stop, either to save him from the lion or from the humiliation)

I wouldn't say all the filler is badly written at all, it's just not from the books. Even GRRM has gone on record saying he liked and would like to have written something like the Robert/Cersei interaction from season 1.

Season 1 fillers were pretty good ( minus sexposition ). After that though, things have steadily gone downhill.

Remember the Tywin skinning a deer scene? Hard to believe the same writers went on to do beetles and 'nothing is nothing'.

I can see two scenarios here:

- Tyrion will be made to face a lion in the arena, all by himself (cue Dany chiming in about how a man that size clearly has no chance against a lion and she wants the fights to stop immediately)

- Tyrion and Jorah are made to perform together (with or without a lion) (cue Dany realising how low Jorah has fallen since she banished him and she takes pity and orders the fights to stop, either to save him from the lion or from the humiliation)

Yeah I just remember that Jorah was banished from Meereen and if he stepped foot in it again, his head would be removed from his shoulders...

But I guess since hes a Slave now and forced in Meereen, so I think Dany can recognize that and take pity on him, but its still something I think would anger her.... Should ne fun to see since the circumstances are much different in the books(with Jorah still not actually in Meereen yet since hes just outside the gates in the battle)

Barry McGovern who played the dying man did Waiting for Godot on stage and even in a film (I think), so it makes sense that they chose him. I thought that "dying is thirsty work" was a good line and he definitely nailed that scene.

On topic, I wonder if one of the Wildling chiefs will share whatever scene we get with the show's version of Varamyr Sixskins (who is being cast, remember folks). Though one of the chiefs being cast will probably be with either Jon or Stannis in some capacity, I think it's likely that the other will be north of the Wall when Tormund (playing Val's role) appeals to him and some other chiefs to head south with their clans/families etc. Then Varamyr could get his book fate after refusing to head south, when he and whoever his followers get fell upon by some blue-eyed meanies.

Ha. Really? Excellent casting then, even in such a minor roll.

Edit:

Having read the WOTW Posts I'm thinking that the leaders are in different scenes due to the timing. I think the Thenn might be more Tormund/Jon negotiations/Hardholm/New stuff and the second leader the "Wildling Elder" could be casting misdirection and be a Hill Clansman with Stannis.

I really beg to differ. It is easy to tell the difference between filler and spoiler, even if one has not read the books.

Filler -> Usually illogical and badly written - such as Greyworm/Missandei or beetles ( you can be 100% sure they are not in the books )

Spoiler -> Something the books hinted at anyway but not made explicit. Eg. Loras gay, Theon's member, White Walkers sacrificing babies.

Till now, all the non book scenes have been 90% filler and 10% spoiler. I'm guessing the spoiler percentage will start increasing a lot in the next season ( esp. for storylines like Brienne and Sansa ) , but there still shouldn't be much difficulty telling the difference between filler and spoiler.

How is Grey Worm/Missandei "illogical and badly written"? What's illogical about it? How would you write it?

That scene wasnt filler.

I don't know what your definition of filler is, but to me, that scene was "illogical", as zaphodbrx would say. Two people who hate each other don't become buddies who rationally discuss their marriage all of a sudden and then go back to hating each other 5 minutes later. It's like they wanted to do some sort of a meta commentary on their marriage, but coming out of their mouths while talking to each other, it was incredibly unconvincing.

I didn't think they were at all friendly in that season 1 scene, they just weren't fighting. I thought it was a great scene and consistent with their characters but each to their own.

However, back to casting and discussion.

Are we seeing two different "war council" scenes involving wildlings? Is it the same scene spread over two days with separate actors? Or is it a casting misdirection?

Varamyr's prologue was one of my favourites, i'm keen for it to be kept in the show. It does show you a lot about skinchanging and the magic behind it though so it would be very beneficial. Plus its a nice opening and segue into Bran scene.

I think it will be as Konradsmith has said. Tormund goes North beyond the wall to treat with the wildling leaders, including Thenn leader, elder (btw who says the elder has to be a man, i'm thinking woodswitch) and Varamyr Sixskins.

Varamyr bails (lives out prologue), woodswitch/elder leads people to hardhome* and the Thenns and other clans head for the wall.

* if hardhome isn't included then 'elder' goes with wildlings to the wall to interact with Jon and Melisandre. Should be very interesting.

But the wilding castings are filming on 2 very different days.

Maybe he visits the tribes/clans separately, so they are not all in the same room/tent. Hence different days.

Plus they may have more than 1 scene that is being shot on different days for some particular reason

Archived