*Book Spoilers* Predicting the Season 5 Episode Titles

Oriolesmagic

I know it's a bit sheesy, and they haven't given the book names to any episode, but I wish the first episode to be "A Feast For Crows", it's a great name for the aftermath of the war in the North, and both Tywin's and Oberyn's deaths.

The last episode have to be named "Winter". The Stark words have been used as a warning/reminder of dark things to come, now that it's here they better give it the importance it deserve. I know a lot of people here complained about the lack of snow the last seasons, but snow in Kings Landing for the last episode will have an even bigger visual impact.

A few random titles that came to my mind:

"Daznak"
"Sons of the Harpy"

"It's Here" or "Cometh"(When winter comes)

"Walk of Shame"

"Winged Wolf"

"Battle of Ice"

"Queenmaker"(Joking :crying:)

"Mercy"

"King's Landing"(if Aegon was in, it could be used for the episode in which he lands in Westeros)

"The Dragontamer" :crying:

"The Ladder" or "Chaos"

"Aftermath"

"For the Watch"

A few random titles that came to my mind:

"Daznak"

"Sons of the Harpy"

"It's Here" or "Cometh"(When winter comes)

"Walk of Shame"

"Winged Wolf"

"Battle of Ice"

"Queenmaker"(Joking :crying:)

"Mercy"

"King's Landing"(if Aegon was in, it could be used for the episode in which he lands in Westeros)

"The Dragontamer" :crying:

"The Ladder" or "Chaos"

"Aftermath"

"For the Watch"

They can have the Queenmaker without Arianne.

That's a really good one.

This is always one of my favorite silly but fun things to do in the offseason. Granted, it almost always proves fruitless, since we usually only get about one or two right. Last year it was “Breaker of Chains”, “Oathkeeper”, and “(The) Watchers on the Wall” – 3/10, truly a banner year! To be fair, many people did predict “The Mountain and the Viper” for Oberyn’s duel with the Mountain (I went with “Elia” for that one). But since I play this game every season, I have a lot of ideas stored in the bank, so here goes …

1. The God of Many Faces – I originally had another title in mind for the premiere, but in light of recent speculation I’m less sure of it, so I’ve tabled it for now (I’ll mention it at the end). My current theory that the final sequence of Episode 1 will be Arya entering the House of Black and White, meeting Jaqen/The Kindly Man, and officially joining the order. “The House of Black and White” is another title that I considered, but it’s less dynamic. I see that several people have suggested "Valonqar" for the premiere title. That's a good one, and a likely possibility because I suspect that Cersei's 'flashback'/dream to her encounter with Maggy the Frog will be the Cold Open for Season 5.

2. Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken – My purely speculative guess is that the premiere will spend a significant amount of time in King’s Landing, focusing on the aftermath of Tywin’s death and Cersei’s reaction to it. While the Martells' and Myrcella’s status in Dorne will certainly be mentioned, I don’t think that we’ll actually see Doran, the Sand Snakes, and the rest until Episode 2.

3. The Sorrows – Tyrion is likely to spend at least an episode or two in Pentos, but if this scene is in (and recent filming reports seem to indicate that it is), then it seems likely that it’s going to happen early.

4. Sons of the Harpy – This is one that I feel reasonably confident will be used at some point in Season 5 – it sounds cool without giving too much away. It works for any episode where Dany is mired in the politics of Meeren (so basically, any of them), but I think things will start to go to hell in Meereen pretty quickly, so I slotted it earlier.

5. Queenmaker – I have trouble seeing how the conspiracy to crown Myrcella could take up more than half the season. I think that it will happen by Episode 5 or 6 so that the latter half of the season will allow time for Jaime to return to King’s Landing (and subsequently head off wherever he’s going next), and for Doran to start revealing his greater plans.

6. Cat of the Canals (alternatively, "Mercy") – I think that Arya will spend 2-3 episodes training in the House of Black and White before she’s sent out into the streets of Braavos as ‘Cat of the Canals’. Furthermore, I think that her time as Cat of the Canals is when she’ll cross paths with Meryn Trant as he comes to Braavos with Mace Tyrell, and that will be when we get the show’s version of the Mercy chapter. This leaves time for Mace to get back to King’s Landing by the end of the season to deal with Margaery’s arrest, and for Arya to both deal with the fallout of the murder (her blindness, if that’s in) and recover in time for her end-of-season moment – which I think will be her first “official” assassination of the ship insurance salesman.

7. The Faith Militant – It seems likely that by this point in the season the Faith should be fully ascendant and in a strong position. This also seems like a reasonably time-frame for Cersei to be imprisoned. My current theory is that after the Queenmaker plot wraps up in Episode 5 or 6, Jaime will return to King’s Landing from Dorne around Episode 7, either with a badly scarred Myrcella or without her (if she’s killed). His return will prompt a massive confrontation with Cersei wherein they effectively ‘break up’. Jaime subsequently departs for an unknown destination, and shortly afterwards, Cersei is imprisoned. This would allow her time to twist in the Faith’s captivity for an episode or two before she does her Walk of Shame in either Episode 9 or the finale.

8. The Ghost of Winterfell – A title from one of Theon’s chapters in A Dance With Dragons, this seems like a reasonable placement for the scene when Theon finally starts to regain his sense of identity. It also calls back to his time as “The Prince of Winterfell” (which was used as an episode title in Season 2). A parallel could also be drawn with “The Ghost of Harrenhal” (another Season 2 episode title) if this episode features mysterious deaths of Freys/Bolton supporters inside the occupied castle, although perhaps those titles are too similar.

9. The Pit (alternatively, “The Pit of Daznak” or “The Gates of Fate”) – Unless the Battle of Winterfell or the Battle of Meereen are going to be shown on screen in Season 5, Daznak’s Pit seems like the best candidate for a typical “Episode 9” moment. I personally have concerns about the wisdom of dragging Daenerys’s time in Meereen out through Season and into Season 6, but I can’t deny the necessary build-up or the “oh shit” potential of a scene like this. Massive CGI dragons! As referenced above, "Fire Made Flesh" would be a very cool title as well.

10. King of the Ashes – Unlike Season 4, we don’t really have a definitive idea of where Season 5 will end, so this is a bit hard to predict. Therefore, I'm just going with a title that I like. Varys’ characterization of Baelish -"He would see this country burn if he could be king of the ashes" - is one of my favorite lines from the entire series, and it could be good title for a Littlefinger-heavy episode where his plans are starting to come into focus. It might be a better fit for Season 6, but given that Littlefinger and Sansa's story is probably the most likely to incorporate material from The Winds of Winter this year, it's possible that we could start to see he plans take shape this year. The title could also apply to Tommen (given that at this point the country is just generally falling into chaos) or Stannis (if he wins the Battle of Winterfell at great cost). It could also have some resonance for Dany if they pair it with either Daznak’s pit or her wandering the Dothraki sea in its aftermath.

There were three other titles that I was considering, but ultimately I couldn’t find a place for them:

A Thousand Eyes and One – This was my original idea for the premiere title, and one that I feel reasonably certain that the show would use at some point. However, in light of Bran’s uncertain status for Season 5, I’m less confident that it would be used this year. If Bran does appear at any point this season, I think that this is perfect for any mythology-heavy episode where Bran begins to use his powers to see all across Westeros. Maybe it could work as title for the finale, especially if they pair it with some hint that Jon’s going to survive his assassination attempt via warging or some other mystical intervention. Otherwise, save this one for Season 6.

Swords in the Darkness – I considered this for the both Episode 9 and the finale. It’s a play-off of both Melisandre’s warning to Jon (“daggers in the dark”) that draws it closer to the Night’s Watch oath (“I am the sword in the darkness”). It could also cover the Battle of Winterfell, if that is going to be a major climax for the season. Based on recent comments from Finn Jones that he ‘threw the finale script across the room’, I’ll acknowledge that ‘For the Watch’ seems likely to happen in the finale. I guess we’ll see.

The Last Dragon – Another possible finale title. I considered it because I could see Daenerys spending some time openly reflecting on her presumed status as she wanders the Dothraki sea in the aftermath of her escape from Daznak’s pit. It could also pair nicely with Maester Aemon’s death/funeral as an endpoint to Sam’s arc for the season. This title could take on a possibly ironic tinge if Aegon is in the show and reveals himself in Westeros by the end of the season, or Jon’s true parentage is hinted at in some way.

Good list, but I don't think The God of Many Faces and The Faith Militant would be episode titles. I really want them to use Swords in the Darkness, because that is a bad-ass episode title

I don't like Valonqar as an episode title TBH. It's too obvious to put in. Not that Unsullied will know what it is, but it's not as good IMO. Here are mine.

Ep 1: Accursed (Tyrion flees across the NS to Pentos)

Ep 2: The Lord of Winter (Jon becomes LC)

Ep 3: No One (Arya finds the House of Black and White)

Ep 4: Honor And Glory (Jaime leaves for Dorne)

Ep 5: Darkstar! It would be amazing if they titled it that. The Ghost of Winterfell or Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken (Theon talks to Bran through the weirwood tree, Myrcella is hurt)

Ep 6: The Sons Of The Harpy (Dany decides to marry Hizdahr)

Ep 7: She Remembers (Brienne is captured by LS)

Ep 8: The Walk (Cersei's walk of atonement)

Ep 9: Daznak (Dany flees from Meereen on Drogon's back)

Ep 10: For The Watch (Mutiny at Castle Black)

01. 998th (Jon becomes the LC)

02. Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken (we visit Dorne and get to know Doran)

03. Sorrows (Tyrion and Varys meet up with Jorah) (Cersei's problems with the High Sparrow)

04. Mercy (Arya in Braavos)

05. The Dragon and the Harpy (Dany marries Hizdahr)

06. Turncloak (Theon's story)

07. The Lion and the Bear (Tyrion and Jorah are sold into slavery)

08. The Walk (Cersei's Walk)

09. For the Watch (Jon's stabbing)

10. The Pit (Dany's first flight)

6. Rhymes With Freak

7. The Ghost of Winterfell

I dont think we'll have two episodes in a row named after the same storyline.

Following the patern so far, we should get something along this line : one Dany's storyline named episode, one Jon's, one Theon, at least three KL, and probably one Arya.

Following the patern so far, we should get something along this line : one Dany's storyline named episode, one Jon's, one Theon, at least three KL, and probably one Arya.

I hope not three at KL there's only two plus one new major character there and one story line. I felt , in the books, Cersei's story was way too over elaborated. I am not a fan of the Faith Militant story since with only two books to go that story has got nowhere to go, and if it's elaborated George is going to have to make novels 6 and 7 10 thousand pages long! GRRM has a ton of arcs going , introducing more is going to bloat everything to a mess... and to think we have not gotten to the meat of THE OTHERS story!

The way I see it is that the first episide (Rhymes With Freak) will be mainly about Cersei's descent into madness and Qyburns continuing experiments on Gregor but also having the Pink Wedding and end with Ramsey forcing Reek on his new bride. The second ep (Ghost in Winterfell) would follow the Winterfell story more closely after the wedding and the boiling tensions the mysterious deaths create among the families inside.

So what do you guys think is the obvious title this time? The one that makes a lot of sense for them to use, for one reason or another.

For season 3, we all predicted 'The Bear and the Maiden Fair' and were proven right. For season 4, it was 'Oathkeeper'.

I'm thinking 'Sons of the Harpy' fits the bill this time.

So what do you guys think is the obvious title this time? The one that makes a lot of sense for them to use, for one reason or another.

For season 3, we all predicted 'The Bear and the Maiden Fair' and were proven right. For season 4, it was 'Oathkeeper'.

I'm thinking 'Sons of the Harpy' fits the bill this time.

Cat of the Canals seems like a good title to me.

1. Kinslayer. Tywin's murder discovered and Balon falls off the bridge.

2. The Lord of Winter. (Nice one The King of Cooked Steak) LC election and Roose in Winterfell.

3. The Kingsmoot. The Kingsmoot.

4. The Sons of the Harpy. Dany gets the news of the Sons of the Harpy murders.

5. Queenmaker. Arianne's plots are foiled.

6. A Toothless Lion. Tyrion captured by Jorah and Cersei captured by the Faith.

7. Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken. Doran reveals the truth to Arianne.

8. The Pit. Daznak's Pit scene.

9. Ice. The Battle of Ice.

10. For the Watch. Jon stabbing.

Kinslayer is a good bet for 501 if they want to leave the Valonqar title for a later date, Guard of the Rainking. (ie when Cersei actually gets done in). My guess is a lot of the episode will focus on the aftermath of Tywin's death so if they won't name it after the contents of her flashback dream, then they can name it after Tyrion's crime itself.

Kinslayer is a good bet for 501 if they want to leave the Valonqar title for a later date, Guard of the Rainking. (ie when Cersei actually gets done in). My guess is a lot of the episode will focus on the aftermath of Tywin's death so if they won't name it after the contents of her flashback dream, then they can name it after Tyrion's crime itself.

The show should IMO emphasize how big of a deal kinslaying is.

Archived