Tyrion the Targ?

Joey Crows

People is kinda crazy for Secret targaryens. There is already two of them, why would any more be introduced?

Even the "evidence" is forced. So, think whatever you want to think about that "theory".

Could of course be total bs about Tyrion but I would imagine people are looking for the number of "secret Targs" to be 3. For dragon wrangling reasons.

Could of course be total bs about Tyrion but I would imagine people are looking for the number of "secret Targs" to be 3. For dragon wrangling reasons.

Well, we do have already three dragons:

Dany, not secret

Jon, "secret"

Aegon, who even if he's fake or not, there is a chance that he's a Blackfyre if he's not a Targaryen, hence, also a Dragon. GRRM has said that the heads doesn't need to be Targaryens and well, technically, Aegon wouldn't be one.

Well, we do have already three dragons:

Dany, not secret

Jon, "secret"

Aegon, who even if he's fake or not, there is a chance that he's a Blackfyre if he's not a Targaryen, hence, also a Dragon. GRRM has said that the heads doesn't need to be Targaryens and well, technically, Aegon wouldn't be one.

Guess I should've said people want secret Targs to bring the number of potential riders to 3. If Aegon proves false then we still need one more. Of course if they don't need to have Targ blood who knows what GRRM has up his sleeve.

I recently heard someone speculate that Tyrion might not actually be Tywin's son. He may in fact be a bastard son of The Mad King and Joanna Lannister. Is this an excepted theory or is this a case of words are wind?

Its a well established theory with a wide base of textual support based on the relationship between Aerys and Joanna, Tywin's attitude, Tyrion's multitude of apparent dragon connections, the 3 'mothers-died-at-birth' 'main-heroes', and many clues about Tyrion being a king, or dragonrider, or other similar implications. But nothing rock solid.

Its haters hate most viciously, quite irrationally, and aggressively loudly. Even the ones who are normally quite rational and sensible about things.

I used to put it at anywhere between 30-50% probability, but a seemingly unrelated quote from GRRM dealt it a major blow. He said that Tyrion and Dany were named by their fathers, Jon by Ned Stark (carefully avoiding Ned=Jon's father implication). Its very very unikely Aerys had anything to do with naming Tyrion, so Tywin is almost certainly his father and Joanna is definitely his mother. So now I'd put it at more like 1-2%.

Its a well established theory with a wide base of textual support based on the relationship between Aerys and Joanna, Tywin's attitude, Tyrion's multitude of apparent dragon connections, the 3 'mothers-died-at-birth' 'main-heroes', and many clues about Tyrion being a king, or dragonrider, or other similar implications. But nothing rock solid.

Its haters hate most viciously, quite irrationally, and aggressively loudly. Even the ones who are normally quite rational and sensible about things.

I used to put it at anywhere between 30-50% probability, but a seemingly unrelated quote from GRRM dealt it a major blow. He said that Tyrion and Dany were named by their fathers, Jon by Ned Stark (carefully avoiding Ned=Jon's father implication). Its very very unikely Aerys had anything to do with naming Tyrion, so Tywin is almost certainly his father and Joanna is definitely his mother. So now I'd put it at more like 1-2%.

Could you please point me to the source?

Could you please point me to the source?

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Numerous_Questions1

5. Since all of their mothers died, who gave Jon Snow, Daenerys Targaryen and Tyrion Lannister their names?

Mothers can name a child before birth, or during, or after, even while they are dying. Dany was most like named by her mother, Tyrion by his father, Jon by Ned.

Here's Me, WMarshal, and UnmaskedLurker talking about it. In short I don't think that SSM is confirmation that Tywin is Tyrions biological father.

Nope. He probably has a drop of Targaryen blood through some marriage though.

If there was a Targaryen/Lannister marriage we probably would have heard about it in the Westerlands reading. I suppose it's possible some Lannister married a Velyron or something.

But he started that sentence saying Dany was "most like" named by her mother, tyrion by his father, Jon Ned. Doesn't that whole most likely thing leave room for any of those statements to later prove untrue?

I think the lack of parallel structure is what's more notable in that. It implies Ned =/= Jon's father, though makes no such indications about who we know to be Tyrion's dad or Dany's mom.

Archived