Moments of Foreshadowing 10

Lost Melnibonean

Bran watched Farlen make his red bitch beg for bones and smiled at Old Nan plucking at the crust of a hot pie with wrinkled fingers. On the dais, Lord Wyman attacked a steaming plate of lampreys as if they were an enemy host. He was so fat that Ser Rodrik had commanded that a special wide chair be built for him to sit in, but he laughed loud and often, and Bran thought he liked him. Poor wan Lady Hornwood sat beside him, her face a stony mask as she picked listlessly at her food. At the opposite end of the high table, Hother and Mors were playing a drinking game, slamming their horns together as hard as knights meeting in joust.

1. Red bitch begging for bones might be a reference to Mel if she needs some bones to work a spell. Bones remember.

2. Can we expect something between Old Nan and Hot Pie? Or does it refer to Arya who used Nan and Nymeria as her fake names? I think if Arya survives the series, she might marry Hot Pie. Plucking something generally refers to a union. We should also remember the Jaime foreshadowing:

“Not all,” said Jaime. “Lord Eddard’s daughters live. One has just been wed. The other …” Brienne, where are you? Have you found her? “… if the gods are good, she’ll forget she was a Stark. She’ll wed some burly blacksmith or fat-faced innkeep, fill his house with children, and never need to fear that some knight might come along to smash their heads against a wall.”

I don't get surprised if Sansa ends up marrying Gendry and Arya marrying Hot Pie. Note that Jolly Old Bob also wanted to marry his son to the daughter of the Ned.

I have a son. You have a daughter. My Joff and your Sansa shall join our houses, as Lyanna and I might once have done.”

Gendry-Sansa works perfectly well for that.

Hot Pie would never want to marry Arya.

ACoK:

"Hot Pie was told to crumble in the spices as the wine heated. Arya went to help. "I can do it," he said sullenly. "I don't need you to show me how to spice wine." He hates me too, or else he's scared of me. She backed away, more sad than angry."

ASoS:

"Hot Pie seemed almost as terrified of her as of the men who might be coming after them. He had seen the guard she'd killed. It's better he's scared of me, she told herself. That way he'll do like I say, instead of something stupid."

When she realized that he feared her she essentially thinks that she would rather have his fear than his love. Mind you she is much worse now. She hadn't even murdered anyone at that point. I can just imagine his reaction since he's someone who couldn't even handle her as Arry. There's no hope for him if he met her now.

ETA: & she doesn't want to marry and she has gone several books now not showing any romantic interest. Personally, I think she dies in ADoS. No marriage no romance no children. Just death. & even in Jamie's comment he's lying. He thought the real Arya was dead already and he's actually talking about "Arya" and Sansa.

Anyways, I don't see Nymeria from Grey Ghost's description plus she might be in the North already.

He was a pale grey-white, the color of morning mist.

He was a notably shy dragon who avoided men and their works for years at a time. He preferred to feed on fish and was often glimpsed flying low over the narrow sea, snatching prey from the waters.

Setting up Wyman's pies...

"I won't eat prunes myself. Well, there was one time when Hobb chopped them up with chestnuts and carrots and hid them in a hen. Never trust a cook, my lord. They'll prune you when you least expect it."

Jon I, Dance

Daenerys's entry into Qarth is loaded with imagery and foreshadowing. What about Arya's enrty into Braavos? More specifically...

Yorko swung them north of the docks and down the gullet of a great canal, a broad green waterway that ran straight into the heart of the city. They passed under the arches of a carved stone bridge, decorated with half a hundred kinds of fish and crabs and squids. A second bridge appeared ahead, this one carved in lacy leafy vines, and beyond that a third, gazing down on them from a thousand painted eyes.

This was probably posted in some of these threads

"I am become a sour woman, Catelyn thought. I take no joy in mead nor meat, and song and laughter have become suspicious strangers to me. I am a creature of grief and dust and bitter longings. There is an empty place within me where my heart was once."

Sometimes I dream about it, he said. Im walking down this long empty hall. My voice echoes all around, but no one answers, so I walk faster, opening doors, shouting names. I dont even know who Im looking for. Most nights its my father, but sometimes its Robb instead, or my little sister Arya, or my uncle. Jon to Sam Tarwell.

Reaching, but this made me wonder if Jon's dreams are really visions of things to come. Ned was the first one to die, followed by Robb. Continuing that thought, Arya would be next, followed by Benjen?

Worse and worse. He had known that Lord Wyman had two sons, but he'd thought that both of them were dead. If the Iron Throne has a hostage Davos had fathered seven sons himself, and lost four on the Blackwater. He knew he would do whatever gods or men required of him to protect the other three. Steffon and Stannis were thousands of leagues from the fighting and safe from harm, but Devan was at Castle Black, a squire to the king.

Davos II, Dance

Davos's sons Steffon and Stannis are within Aegon's reach. Any chance he'll seize them and force Davos to betray Stannis?

Davos II, Dance

Davos's sons Steffon and Stannis are within Aegon's reach. Any chance he'll seize them and force Davos to betray Stannis?

I think Davos' family will be taken by the Golden Company. But Davos is believed to be dead and the GC will probably ignore how important Davos is for Stannis. I don't think even Varys has realized how Davos grew in Stannis' esteem since Varys last got any personal information on Stannis (ie, before Stannis left to Dragonstone pre-AGOT). His family might just get evicted or one of the GC officers will marry Davos' wife to cement the claim to his lands. Unfortunately, if that happens, Davos' children at the South will be in danger.

I think Davos' family will be taken by the Golden Company. But Davos is believed to be dead and the GC will probably ignore how important Davos is for Stannis. I don't think even Varys has realized how Davos grew in Stannis' esteem since Varys last got any personal information on Stannis (ie, before Stannis left to Dragonstone pre-AGOT). His family might just get evicted or one of the GC officers will marry Davos' wife to cement the claim to his lands. Unfortunately, if that happens, Davos' children at the South will be in danger.

They knew Davos was Stannis's hand in the backwater of Sisterton...

Check out this from Marlon Manderly when Davos was pleading Stannis's case...

"It has been centuries since White Harbor has seen any wildlings, and the ironmen have never troubled this coast. Does Lord Stannis propose to defend us from snarks and dragons too?"

Davos III, Dance

Stannis is preparing to fightvthe Others, and he may not know it yet but he's gonna fight a dragon or two.

Check out this from Marlon Manderly when Davos was pleading Stannis's case...

Davos III, Dance

Stannis is preparing to fightvthe Others, and he may not know it yet but he's gonna fight a dragon or two.

Yes. Davos is gonna ice a dragon. It is known. Davos the Dragonslayer.

The girl turned her head away. “It is nothing,” insisted her mother, a stern-faced woman in a gown of green velvet. A necklace of golden seashells looped about her long, thin neck. “She would not give up the little crown the rebel gave her, and when I tried to take it from her head the willful child fought me.”

“It was mine.” Jeyne sobbed. “You had no right. Robb had it made for me. I loved him.”

Her mother made to slap her, but Jaime stepped between them.

Lady Sybell looked as if she had swallowed a lemon. “You want a Westerling to wed a bastard?”

“No more than I want Joy to marry the son of some scheming turncloak bitch. She deserves better.” Jaime would happily have strangled the woman with her seashell necklace.

Lady Sybell had a quarrel with her unruly daughter. She wore a gown in the color of Cersei's eyes and Jaime called her a scheming bitch (which is what Margaery rightfully called Cersei too). Jaime stepped between the mother and the sad daughter. Note the golden seashells necklace of Lady Sybelle which will taunt Jaime to strangle her with that.

I think by the mid of ADoS, there will be serious disagreement between Myrcella and Cersei. This will trigger the chain of events including Jaime, as the Hand of the Queen, strangling Cersei with the Hand's chain.

Tyrion slid a hand under his father’s chain, and twisted. The links tightened, digging into her neck. “For hands of gold are always cold, but a woman’s hands are warm,” he said. He gave cold hands another twist as the warm ones beat away his tears.

Note that Tyrion used a single hand to strangle Shae with the hand's chain.

It most likely said before but could Arya's great grandmother Arya Flint being a foreshadowing about Arya's future as the new Danny Flint?

You just made me feel ill.

Or it could be Jeyne Poole :crying:

ETA: There are wilding two girls at the wall posing as boys could just be a foretelling about them.

Is this just the conscientious objector describing the horrors of war or is there some foreshadowing of what to expect in King's Landing?

The Yunkai'i had sealed the broken gates to keep the dead and dying inside the city, but the sights that he had seen riding down those red brick streets would haunt Quentyn Martell forever. A river choked with corpses. The priestess in her torn robes, impaled upon a stake and attended by a cloud of glistening green flies. Dying men staggering through the streets, bloody and befouled. Children fighting over half-cooked puppies. The last free king of Astapor, screaming naked in the pit as he was set on by a score of starving dogs. And fires, fires everywhere. He could close his eyes and see them still: flames whirling from brick pyramids larger than any castle he had ever seen, plumes of greasy smoke coiling upward like great black snakes.

The Windblown, Dance

Is this just fluff...

He proceeded in that direction for another hundred yards, leading them between two shallow tidal pools. Dog stuck his nose in one and yelped when a crab pinched it with his claw. A brief but furious struggle ensued before the dog came trotting back, wet and mud-spattered, with the crab between his jaws.

Brienne VI, Feast

...or is the dog Sandor? If the dog is Sandor, who is the crab?

My boyfriend is re-listening to the books for the third time, and just noticed when Jojen had the greendreams about all the men drowning in Winterfell, the "drowned men," was actually a reference to the Ironborn. He thought that was really clever.

@Mithras Stoneborn: In the last post of the first page of the last foreshadowing thread, you wondered what the crabs in the following quote represented...

The flats shimmered wetly all about them, mottled in half a hundred hues. The mud was such a dark brown it appeared almost black, but there were swathes of golden sand as well, upthrust rocks both grey and red, and tangles of black and green seaweed. Storks stalked through the tidal pools and left their footprints all around them, and crabs scuttled across the surface of shallow waters.

Brienne VI, Feast

I would suggest that the crabs are like carrion crows picking over the dead following the second dance. I'd also submit that the grey and red rocks might not represent Jon as the stone dragon but perhaps the struggle between Stark and Lannister that left plenty of dead for the crows and the crabs.

Across their cheeks were tiger stripes as green as jade.

Tyrion VII, Dance

I've never saeen a tiger with green stripes. And I recall Tyrion reasoning that a tiger would not favor liberation since it would cost the tiger his identity. The red priests and the slaves of Volantis will side with Daenerys but not the tigers. Well, not all of them anyway. Half followvthe Lord of Light...

Maybe Arya won't be found buried in the snow come spring after all...

The hearth was caked with cold black ash, the room unheated but for candles. Every time a door opened their flames would sway and shiver. The bride was shivering too. They had dressed her in white lambs-wool trimmed with lace. Her sleeves and bodice were sewn with freshwater pearls, and on her feet were white doeskin slipperspretty, but not warm. Her face was pale, bloodless.

A face carved of ice, Theon Greyjoy thought as he draped a fur-trimmed cloak about her shoulders. A corpse buried in the snow. "My lady. It is time." Beyond the door, the music called them, lute and pipes and drum.

The Prince of Winterfell

Poor Jeyne...

Archived