Dating #17 - Your Biceps Make For Awesome Pillows

Littlefingers In The Air

I met a really awesome girl through a friend a few weeks back. I've hung out with her a couple of times, with other people, and I am finally going on a date with her tomorrow night. We're going to see Chromeo in NYC tomorrow night, which is a funk-dance type band that we mutually like. So here's my question (of sorts): I know going to shows are generally a bad idea when it comes to first dates because of the whole "getting to know each other" thing, but I feel like we already know each other enough where I don't think that that would be awkward. I've never been on this type of date, so is there anything I should be prepared for? I'm really nervous, and I don't want to blow this one. Thanks for the advise.

First date at a Chromeo show? Ummm... I hope you are really good at white guy dancing? By which I mean, have fun and don't be afraid to look ridiculous

Edit: that may of come off flippant, but I don't mean it that way. Like, this can be a kind of energetic and intense kind of situation, but doesn't have to be high pressure or anything. If you both have a buncha crazy silly fun, this could be a real hoot. If you feel that way, maybe you have that connection where you can just be like "fuck it, lets go have some fun"

Ps, I haven't been on a first date in 13 years or so, so take that with a grain of salt...

First date at a Chromeo show? Ummm... I hope you are really good at white guy dancing? By which I mean, have fun and don't be afraid to look ridiculous

Edit: that may of come off flippant, but I don't mean it that way. Like, this can be a kind of energetic and intense kind of situation, but doesn't have to be high pressure or anything. If you both have a buncha crazy silly fun, this could be a real hoot. If you feel that way, maybe you have that connection where you can just be like "fuck it, lets go have some fun"

Ps, I haven't been on a first date in 13 years or so, so take that with a grain of salt...

It turned out to be a lot of fun. She was very much the dancer, and I think I held my own. I like to dance, it's just that I'm laughably silly at doing so!

It turned out to be a lot of fun. She was very much the dancer, and I think I held my own. I like to dance, it's just that I'm laughably silly at doing so!

if I ever have a child and the child is male, one of my first pieces of advice in getting to know women is to be willing to dance. It doesn't matter if it is silly or otherwise, just be willing to get on the dance floor and move around. It does wonders for getting to know other people.

Yeah, tread carefully with Francis. That has the possibility to go spectacularly wrong, with a lot of associated fallout. For one, he's going to be all over the place in terms of what he thinks he wants vs. what he really wants (e.g. he might say he wants NSA sex, when what he really wants -- and hasn't admitted to himself -- is that he's looking for a replacement wife to take care of the house, etc). So, yeah. It might look like fun at first blush, but might not be worth the eventual trouble. Been there, have the battle scars.

Significant overlap in social circles with Francis and the anticipated messy divorce are both headaches. Unless you're really desperate (and why would you - you dance card seems full) and/or he's a super catch (is he?), I'd suggest taking a pass, at least until his imminent divorce is resolved.

Nah of course not, you cannot always control your feelings. You're only human.

And history is replete with tales making martyrs of those who endure the agony of unrequited love..... .... .... thats pretty depressing though, sorry.. I didn't intend that

So I'm chilling with my buddies the other day in their dorm room when a cute girl, who happens to live in the room next to my buddies, stops by. I didn't do much beyond a basic introduction. After she left, I inquired a bit more about her. Given what my friends told me, I decided I wouldn't mind a date with her, but I needed a decent opportunity to ask her.

Fastforward a day later and we're all chilling again and around 9:30 PM she drops by, telling my friend Chris that she'll be dj'ing for the campus radio station and that we should call in to make song requests. Me being the opportunistic guy I am, I decide to capitalize on that. So I call in and when asked if I have a request, I tell her that I request a date with her. She and the other two DJ's make the expected inquiries before she tells me to follow her on Twitter so we can talk more about it. I don't have a Twitter. Zing.

That, of course, doesn't stop a guy like me. So this morning, I'm standing outside the dorm room looking at an illustration on the small dry erase board on the wall. I was going to go back inside but I heard some music playing in her room so I decided to just continue with what I was doing. To be fair, I was genuinely admiring that illustration (it was on the concept of time and consciousness). She comes out of the room and we exchange good mornings. As she's walking away, presumably to class, and I'm continuing to look at the illustration, I say so that she can hear me "You know, you should really get back to me about that date."

She turns around as I look in her direction and she's obviously confused and asks me to repeat myself. So I do and when she figures it out, she's more than happy to accommodate me. Score another one for the good guys.

Littlefinger - That was smooth as fuck, hope the date is as good as the asking.

Chats - I dunno your age nor what you look like, but you must be some kind of stone-cold fox with all of the balls you're keeping in the air. No pun intended.

As for me, after being single since last October and going on MANY horrible dates, I met a girl on Tinder who is just awesome, and we made it official last weekend. She's a grad student and very busy, but it's actually pretty nice since it makes our dates feel more like special occasions and I've got plenty of time/space for my own needs and friends. Very happy :-)

So I'm chilling with my buddies the other day in their dorm room when a cute girl, who happens to live in the room next to my buddies, stops by. I didn't do much beyond a basic introduction. After she left, I inquired a bit more about her. Given what my friends told me, I decided I wouldn't mind a date with her, but I needed a decent opportunity to ask her.

Fastforward a day later and we're all chilling again and around 9:30 PM she drops by, telling my friend Chris that she'll be dj'ing for the campus radio station and that we should call in to make song requests. Me being the opportunistic guy I am, I decide to capitalize on that. So I call in and when asked if I have a request, I tell her that I request a date with her. She and the other two DJ's make the expected inquiries before she tells me to follow her on Twitter so we can talk more about it. I don't have a Twitter. Zing.

That, of course, doesn't stop a guy like me. So this morning, I'm standing outside the dorm room looking at an illustration on the small dry erase board on the wall. I was going to go back inside but I heard some music playing in her room so I decided to just continue with what I was doing. To be fair, I was genuinely admiring that illustration (it was on the concept of time and consciousness). She comes out of the room and we exchange good mornings. As she's walking away, presumably to class, and I'm continuing to look at the illustration, I say so that she can hear me "You know, you should really get back to me about that date."

She turns around as I look in her direction and she's obviously confused and asks me to repeat myself. So I do and when she figures it out, she's more than happy to accommodate me. Score another one for the good guys.

Nice.

I'm glad that went well, but you asked her out on-air? I think I would be pissed about being put on the spot like that.

You know, I've been thinking about that since it happened and I don't know that I would do it again. But in this one instance, the stars seemed like they were aligning for it to go my way so I just went with it. But yeah, I'd have understood if she went the other way with it.

Archived