New ASOIAF/GOT programs from HBO

SerHaHa

GRRM has said in a recent interview, the current one on BlinkBox, that he's in talks with HBO about other further programming. He didn't specify if it was GoT or Wild Cards or some other works of his, but you would have to think with the wild popularity and numbers of viewers for GoT, that HBO would want to capitalize and quickly on this. The only thing that makes sense IMO would be a GoT related story for a new show.

So, what would your pick be for this? My top 3 would be:

1. TPATQ story from the recent Dangerous Women. I think this would be a fantastic idea, but I know that the dragon CGI is ridiculously expensive for the show, so that may be a non starter due to that. I always thought that CGI would be a cheaper way to show battles and imaginary creatures and such, apparently the computer geeks charge a lot for their time, heh.

2. The Hedge Knight stories - with 3 already completed and another on the way apparently someday, they could stretch this stories out into 3 or 4 mini series, but there may not be enough material to carry far enough.

3. The most likely IMO would be a prequel of some kind of the current time and storyline, Robert's Rebellion, or any of the previous interesting wars since the landing of the Targs, including the original Targ landings and subsequent takeover of Westoros themselves. Hey, they already have the Dragonstone sets built, right, hah.

• 2 weeks later...

We'll probably see the Blackfyre Rebellion as a miniseries, as well as Robert's Rebellion. Dunk and Egg will probably be an actual series. Maybe two or three seasons.

Aegon's Conquest and the Dance of the Dragons can only done in movie format due to the large cast and huge budget for special effects and enormous battles. Dunno about the Faith Miliant Uprising.

We could see the Age of Heroes as a miniseries.

It would seem to depend on what kind of contract George has with HBO. ASOIAF has a vast amount of elements to it that GRRM has not elaborated as stories, and I know HBO (well Time Warner) are thrilled with the success of GOT, so something within ASOIAF might be their wish. However, George may want to try to get some of his science fiction adapted or even some science fiction his holds in high regard adapted. I know he is a film buff and the one genre that has the fewest sophisticated and intelligent translations to visual media is science fiction (no true of westerns, detective, romance or horror, tho they have had their clunkers).

The mention of TPATQ makes me feel that GRRM would want a film of that, after all it is Time Warner that owns HBO and Warner is film 'studio' (which actually means 'distributor' these days) and many times a 'facilitator' , which means marshaling these mysterious pools of money for sometimes 100 million to 200 million dollar films. If GRRM , as he says, could find the right people to do fantasy, still a rare thing, but Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro have shown one can be respectful of source material. I don't know how many other Dave and Dan's there are , no matter what deviations GOT has done those two still respect the spirit of this kind of big picture fantasy material. So I see TPATQ as the kind of material GRRM would like to see as a big film so that's probably out for HBO.

WILD Cards as an integrated story , with the right kind of respect paid to the source would seem fine, that would involve a whole lot of other fine writers like George.

Don't know what George will do but I like his attitude of having turned down film makers who had 'Hollywood' ideas of how to do ASOIF , GRRM want's respect and quality , something the LA suits don't want to give most of the time.

John Chambers: [after hearing of the plan to get the hostages out] So you want to come to Hollywood, act like a big shot...

Tony Mendez: Yeah.

John Chambers: ...without actually doing anything?

Tony Mendez: No.

John Chambers: [smiles] You'll fit right in! ... ARGO

I think that Robert's Rebellion would be the best choice.

I am fairly certain most of us agree with you, and it would also (in my very humble opinion) be the most profitable for HBO, since both book readers and the show only viewers would love to see young Eddard, Jaime and Robert, as well as younger Tywin et cetera.

He might like his science fiction a lot, but I don't think it would very well ... at all.

We'll probably see the Blackfyre Rebellion as a miniseries

Probably? Yeahhh, I don't think so.

Even tough I would LOVE a Blackfyre Rebellion TV Series, I don't really see how they could adapt the most awesome back-story to ASOIF after a production monster such as GOT. Nah, they would more likely try to adapt something less big and less expensive. For Blackfyre Rebellion they would need a freakin huge, freakin good cast once again and they would still have to pay A LOT for sets like King's Landing's and of course a lot of military settlements, not to talk about the MANY battles of that war. So yeah, "probably" isn't the term I would use.

It's much more likely that they'll try with an adaptation of Dunk and Egg. Aside from Ashford Tournament, they wouldn't have to pay a lot for locations and actors. Just one or two seasons would be enough too.

Robert's Rebellion would be the "logical" choice. But once again there would be the same problem with Blackfyre Rebellion.

And the same thing again for Aegon's Conquest, here the issue would be even bigger since CG is expensive and three freakin huge dragons would require their CG work.

In the end I think all will be determined by the fact that HBO will try to aim for something cheaper, just to try again for something bigger many years after the ending of the show. Dunk and Egg is a safe bet for them.

A problem with Robert's rebellion is that so many of the plot points are already spoiled and so much of the cast would have to be playing younger versions of established characters, which seems like it would be really restrictive.

Doing somethings further back, like Blackfyre or Dunk and Egg, seems like it would have so more scope to be successful as a show.

It could be cool if they did something like the Targaryan conquest of Westeros. There isn't as much established material (and Westerosi history could be erroneous), so the show would have the freedom to be its own thing and create new content intended for TV. But there would mostly be the familiar houses and institutions.

I am fairly certain most of us agree with you, and it would also (in my very humble opinion) be the most profitable for HBO, since both book readers and the show only viewers would love to see young Eddard, Jaime and Robert, as well as younger Tywin et cetera.

He might like his science fiction a lot, but I don't think it would very well ... at all.

The Princess and the Queen would have to have a huge dragon budget, and the audience would have to come to terms with the fact that most of the main characters are "weird" looking Targaryens. It might be good after Robert's Rebellion but not after Game of Thrones. Robert's Rebellion has everything for a good prequel series.

The Princess and the Queen would have to have a huge dragon budget, and the audience would have to come to terms with the fact that most of the main characters are "weird" looking Targaryens.

No one who watched the LTOR and Hobbit films had a problem with the Elves and they are 'weirder' looking.

No one who watched the LTOR and Hobbit films had a problem with the Elves and they are 'weirder' looking.

In LOTR there were also normal looking in the main characters to balance it out. However many of the Game of Thrones fans I know don't generally like fantasy, so almost every major character being a Targaryen might be too much for some.

Archived