Purely "Good" Characters?

Seaworth'sShipmate

I know no one is "purely" good in a Game of Thrones, but I have compiled a list of people I think sort of meet that definition:

1. Davos Seaworth

2. Brienne of Tarth

3. Bran Stark

4. Ned Stark

5. Jon Snow

6. Maester Luwin

7. Hodor

8. Old Nan

9. The Reeds

I think the one thing that unites these people is a lack of selfishness, a lack of willed malice towards others, and a general sense to put great causes before their self interests. Thoughts?

I know no one is "purely" good in a Game of Thrones, but I have compiled a list of people I think sort of meet that definition:

1. Davos Seaworth

2. Brienne of Tarth

3. Bran Stark

4. Ned Stark

5. Jon Snow

6. Maester Luwin

7. Hodor

8. Old Nan

9. The Reeds

I think the one thing that unites these people is a lack of selfishness, a lack of willed malice towards others, and a general sense to put great causes before their self interests. Thoughts?

1. Davos used to be a smuggler.

3. No. Bran warged into Hodor. That's a problem.

The rest of your list is pretty solid.

Gendry is in the gang which hangs people based on surnames.

To me what was bad is that he wanted to leave baby Weasel behind.

ETA: I can just imagine how evil Arya would be called or how it would used as evidence of lack of empathy had she been the one who wanted to leave her.

1. Davos used to be a smuggler.

I wouldn't consider that a black mark against him. We don't know what he smuggled. All smuggling is is avoiding tariffs, really. From a moral standpoint, you could say not giving money to a non-democratic, oppressive regime isn't all that bad.

I would add Maester Aemon, Sansa, Sam, Gilly, Shireen, Edric Storm, Gendry, Tommen, and Myrcella.

I'd take out Sansa. She knowingly drugs SR and goes along with it when LF says to. She essentially knows that it'll kill SR. I mean, I don't think it's doing anything but speeding up the inevitable, but it's hardly a 'good' or 'moral' step to take.

I'd say also Edric Dayne and Missendei. Really, most children since they haven't had a chance to be corrupted.

Ser Dunk, if you count the novellas. And Baelor Breakspear seems to be, but we see so little of him.

Ser Dunk and King Egg.

Let's not forget Pod too.

I wouldn't consider that a black mark against him. We don't know what he smuggled. All smuggling is is avoiding tariffs, really. From a moral standpoint, you could say not giving money to a non-democratic, oppressive regime isn't all that bad.

Hasn't he cheated on his wife?

Possibly Margaery, depending on how much she knows of the plot for the purple wedding. Garlan the Gallant maybe.

Doran Martell seems like a really calm dude in the same vein as Ned; the desire for justice/vengeance for Elia is debatably good or bad. Areo Hotah seems to be into selfless duty. Grey Worm and his 8000 brahs are in the same category. Aerys Okaheart too. Trystane.

I'd even let that one slide. What I wouldn't let slide is letting LF pin the blame on Marillion.

Is it really sooooo bad to pin murder on a serial rapist? Who was also complicit in the attempted murder of Sansa?

Bran shouldn't be on the list, he wargs Hodor for fun even though he knows it scares Hodor. That seems pretty selfish to me.

Other times, when he was tired of being a wolf Bran slipped into Hodor’s skin instead. The gentle giant would whimper when he felt him, and thrash his shaggy head from side to side, but not as violently as he had the first time, back at Queenscrown. He knows it’s me, the boy liked to tell himself. He’s used to me by now. He never felt comfortable inside Hodor’s skin. The big stableboy never understood what was happening and Bran could taste the fear at the back of his mouth. It was better inside Summer.

Is it really sooooo bad to pin murder on a serial rapist? Who was also complicit in the attempted murder of Sansa?

Well, it's two different crimes. I mean many didn't cut Arya slack for

Raff even though he participated in the gang rape of a 13 year old before and was clearly going to try and have sex with Arya whether she wanted to go all the way or not.

Archived