What happened to space opera?

NickGOT456

Fair points on the budget.

All I'll say on the sex front is that the main character has a zero g sex cage in his room on his ship. I almost mentioned it as another of the things that make it HBO appropriate. Certainly no issues on the violence side either.

That sounds like a lock-in for a weekly dose of sexposition.

Well it would really depend on who made it, wouldn't it.

Do you work for HBO or something?

Eta: a quick google search of the first line of this topic shows you've been dropping this exact topic copy-pasted over all sorts of random forums (including a Ron Paul forum and some religious thing, wtf), which suggests to me you're up to something, even if I can't quite see what you get from it.

He's trolling for YouTube clicks. He probably won't directly reply to anyone but will post a YouTube link every so often as long as thread keeps going. Funny thing is you can actually make money doing this.

The SciFi channel opened up its plans again to making a miniseries based on Larry Niven's Ringworld, a year ago, after they'd aborted plans to make one back in 2004. I've spotted I'm in a minority on these boards as a Larry Niven fan, but I really hope that it pulls through.

:lmao:

MRW People here talking as if HBO won't create their own sex scenes if the work doesn't have it. Talking as if it's some sort of obstacle.

That's a great point. :)I guess they usually pick stuff that lends itself easily to a sex scene if they can eg True blood and Game of thrones. I guess Band of Brothers is an exception (although they may have even got some in there)

To be fair to HBO, The Wire didn't have a great deal of sex or boobs to my recollection, and while Deadwood had an outrageous amount of tits, there was surprisingly little fucking for a series set in large part in a brothel.

The first season had at least one gratuitous lesbian scene and blowjobs were popular throughout. Then again the sex in the rest of the show fit.

Deadwood had blowjob monologues so I think the levels of sex were high still.

Didn't the creator of "True detective" say the sex scenes in his show were mandated by HBO? Although i think he was told off for that.

To many it's as much a part of the HBO brand as the "good storytelling" is,

The first season had at least one gratuitous lesbian scene and blowjobs were popular throughout. Then again the sex in the rest of the show fit.

Deadwood had blowjob monologues so I think the levels of sex were high still.

Didn't the creator of "True detective" say the sex scenes in his show were mandated by HBO? Although i think he was told off for that.

To many it's as much a part of the HBO brand as the "good storytelling" is,

What the director of Blackwater had to say:

This particular exec took me to one side and said, “Look, I represent the pervert side of the audience, okay? Everybody else is the serious drama side—I represent the perv side of the audience, and I’m saying I want full frontal nudity in this scene.” So you go ahead and do it.

Mature apparently doesn't just mean complex storylines. Hm...

What the director of Blackwater had to say:

Mature apparently doesn't just mean complex storylines. Hm...

The fact there are two different camps complaining about the same thing makes it seem legit. I wonder who the perv executive is? We can probably trace them through the productions. Did Starz get the old HBO one when they started making "Spartacus"?

The fact there are two different camps complaining about the same thing makes it seem legit. I wonder who the perv executive is? We can probably trace them through the productions. Did Starz get the old HBO one when they started making "Spartacus"?

I don't think it's that there's one exec who is a perv and more that there's one exec who's job it is to make sure that shows have the requisite amount of boobies for their programming model.

I don't think it's that there's one exec who is a perv and more that there's one exec who's job it is to make sure that shows have the requisite amount of boobies for their programming model.

To be fair, he could be enforcing the boob quota and be a perv at the same time.

All I'll say on the sex front is that the main character has a zero g sex cage in his room on his ship. I almost mentioned it as another of the things that make it HBO appropriate. Certainly no issues on the violence side either.

One of the more interesting things is that the character in question, Joshua (who isn't really the single main character; he was supposed to be, but then PFH found other characters like Ralph and Louise taking centre stage as well), treats women fairly badly but then several things happen (spoilers!) and he ends up realising what a sexist douchebag he's being and tries to change. Which would be an interesting path for a HBO show to take, self-critically analysing its issues with sex scenes (whilst still featuring them, thus having its cake and eating it).

OTOH, a potential landmine is that one of the villains, Quinn, uses sex as a method of control over both his male and female minions. PFH has already received complaints from people that his only prominent 'gay' character was a villain, although that wasn't the intention. And it occurs to me that Banneth is also hugely problematic:

Since he/she switches genders at the drop of a hat through genetic engineering, and is a pretty monstrous 'bad' guy.

I haven't read any Hamilton but would there be room for HBO to have the required about of sex and violence for them to consider making it? It's why Morgan's "kovacs" books seem destined for a HBO adaptation but they certainly aren't space operas.

The problem with Morgan’s books is that they are very difficult to make into a visual adaptation because the main character keeps changing bodies. It’s a bit like Doctor Who, except you’d need to change the actor several times per season. That’s not only very confusing, it’s very difficult to build a brand and establish a character–viewer relationship. In the novels it works because we’re in Takeshi’s brain.

(Not saying it’s impossible, but if the main gimmick of a story requires the exec to abandon the idea of a main character actor carrying the show—I believe most studies would walk away from that quickly. I could be wrong.)

The problem with Morgan’s books is that they are very difficult to make into a visual adaptation because the main character keeps changing bodies. It’s a bit like Doctor Who, except you’d need to change the actor several times per season. That’s not only very confusing, it’s very difficult to build a brand and establish a character–viewer relationship. In the novels it works because we’re in Takeshi’s brain.

(Not saying it’s impossible, but if the main gimmick of a story requires the exec to abandon the idea of a main character actor carrying the show—I believe most studies would walk away from that quickly. I could be wrong.)

Agreed. the television/film medium can't get around these kind of issues very easily if at all.

I don't know those novels, but would the Quantum Leap solution work? Just show us the character's internal image of himself, and once or twice an episode look in the mirror to see what the other characters see.

That's what they did on Caprica, essentially, without the mirror.

I don't know those novels, but would the Quantum Leap solution work? Just show us the character's internal image of himself, and once or twice an episode look in the mirror to see what the other characters see.

Or do a lot of voiceover narration by the same actor, irrespective of who's playing the current body. And the bodyswaps aren't that frequent; you just a few talented actors to play the character, who can match body language and speech patterns to create the illusion that they're inhabited by the same mind.

Wert - good point on Joshua, yeah main character was definitely not accurate but it's not quite at GoT level of ensemble. I'd like to see them tackle that.

Fair points on Quinn and Bannath (I had forgotten the latter). The issues with Quinn could probably be worked around by adding positive queer characters too so it's not that "only queer is evil" thing. Bannath I think you just have to drop that switching.

Hell go radical changes, turn Joshua into a lesbian with massive internalised misogyny and still works through much of that, Ione would then need to be bisexual :p

Archived