NFL 2014 Week 3: The Struggle is Real

Jace, Extat

Also the silence from the commissioner's office on all these cases is deafening. There is zero leadership in the NFL at the moment from the commissioner and from the owners (who for the millionth time are getting a free pass on all this). And so all the decisions are being made by guys whose jobs depend on winning. No shit they're fucking up left and right.

This is really the big deal in all of this. Yes, the Vikings and Ravens and Panthers are all making terrible moves and come across as completely inept. But the teams should not have to deal with this issue at all. The league has a problem too, and unlike the teams, they don't have jobs that depend on winning games. This should be the league that says that "in light of recent evidence, Hardy and Peterson are suspended indefinitely while more facts come out". Then the teams can say "we understand the league's decision and will abide by it. This is a league matter and refer all questions to their office."

Because otherwise you get the clusterfuck that is the Vikings statements over the past five days.

If they're going to keep paying him they might as well play him. This isn't even a punishment, it's a paid vacation.

Depending on how this all goes down, I could easily see Peterson having to give that money back, so that he can use this current deactivation as "time served", so that he can play next year without a league suspension.

Depending on how this all goes down, I could easily see Peterson having to give that money back, so that he can use this current deactivation as "time served", so that he can play next year without a league suspension.

Could be. At this point, though, I suspect they'll suspend him "indefinitely" and reinstate him in the offseason if he completes counseling and stays out of trouble. Same with Rice.

You also pay someone if you suspend them before the judicial process plays out, unless it's a settlement you've reached with the individual before hand.

This is really the big deal in all of this. Yes, the Vikings and Ravens and Panthers are all making terrible moves and come across as completely inept. But the teams should not have to deal with this issue at all. The league has a problem too, and unlike the teams, they don't have jobs that depend on winning games. This should be the league that says that "in light of recent evidence, Hardy and Peterson are suspended indefinitely while more facts come out". Then the teams can say "we understand the league's decision and will abide by it. This is a league matter and refer all questions to their office."

Because otherwise you get the clusterfuck that is the Vikings statements over the past five days.

I'm nominating you for commissioner. Though you may have too much common sense and scruples for the position.

(Maybe we also get our cap penalties back that way.)

Neil Irwin who writes about finance and econ, formerly of WaPo and now of NYT (and I think maybe a DC area sports fan but I'm not sure) writes on RG3 and the 'sunk cost fallacy" here.

Yeah, I was thinking about this in relation to people eager to put him on the list of greatest busts of all time.

There's no fucking way.

Busts don't have the greatest rookie season for a QB of all time. Also, way too early to make that evaluation. Third plenty of QBs from Drew Brees to Carson Palmer have had one season of early success, got injured and came back to solid to great careers. He still has a lot of career to play out either in Washington or elsewhere (with of course health as the omnipresent questionmark).

And the article is right that evaluating him on him his merits has nothing to do with what the Skins gave up to get him. He had no part in that.

SO MUCH THIS. Extra plussys for you. Goodell has proven himself to be a huge coward in the face of this mess. What the hell is your job if not to step in and act where the team is not likely to act against its' own best interests. This guy is useless. He needs to go.

Yeah, I was thinking about this in relation to people eager to put him on the list of greatest busts of all time.

There's no fucking way.

Busts don't have the greatest rookie season for a QB of all time. Also, way too early to make that evaluation. Third plenty of QBs from Drew Brees to Carson Palmer have had one season of early success, got injured and came back to solid to great careers. He still has a lot of career to play out either in Washington or elsewhere (with of course health as the omnipresent questionmark).

And the article is right that evaluating him on him his merits has nothing to do with what the Skins gave up to get him. He had no part in that.

What makes you say he had the greatest rookie season for a QB of all time? Was it his passer rating?

Mo Claiborne is a bigger bust than RG3 is....and i'm a Cowboys fan, so that statement says a lot.

Indeed. Orlando Scandrick is back and it's likely that he gets his starting job back. That would push Claiborne to the nickel corner but journeyman Sterling Moore has played well in that spot so Claiborne COULD actually be pushed to the 4th corner. Sigh. You just never know with draft picks. Just about everybody I read thought Claiborne would be a star.

What makes you say he had the greatest rookie season for a QB of all time? Was it his passer rating?

Can you name one better? Very few QBs, even those who go on to be great, play well as rookies. The only real contenders in my mind are actually from the same draft class. You can go Luck if you value comeback wins though his stats were nowhere near as impressive. Or you make a case for Russell Wilson whose stats were comparable but it really took him half a season to become the guy we know now. Washington led the league in yards per play that season and RG3 was the biggest reason why.

But there's a reason RG3 won rookie of the year that year. He was right there with Luck and Wilson up until that first injury. Sad to think how they've lapped him now.

Indeed. Orlando Scandrick is back and it's likely that he gets his starting job back. That would push Claiborne to the nickel corner but journeyman Sterling Moore has played well in that spot so Claiborne COULD actually be pushed to the 4th corner. Sigh. You just never know with draft picks. Just about everybody I read thought Claiborne would be a star.

Yeah Moore has made some damn good plays VS the Titans.

Claiborne may not be re-signed this year, and i'm not sure that's a bad thing...which is sad to say about a #6 pick in the draft, 2 years later.

Can you name one better? Very few QBs, even those who go on to be great, play well as rookies. The only real contenders in my mind are actually from the same draft class. You can go Luck if you value comeback wins though his stats were nowhere near as impressive. Or you make a case for Russell Wilson whose stats were comparable but it really took him half a season to become the guy we know now. Washington led the league in yards per play that season and RG3 was the biggest reason why.

But there's a reason RG3 won rookie of the year that year. He was right there with Luck and Wilson up until that first injury. Sad to think how they've lapped him now.

I would have argued for Wilson, mostly because he played his way into starting in Seattle during the preseason, and then tied the rookie QB touchdown record. I agree RG3 had an amazing rookie season, I'm just not sure it was the best ever. Both Luck and RG3 were expected to start right away. The fact that Wilson emerged so quickly after much less fanfare also influences my decision.

For those curious what Tom Brady's pre-New England Patriots resume looks like, he posted it online.

Apparently his last professional job before pursuing a career in football was as an intern at Merrill Lynch. Love how he was "Assistant to the Senior Sales Broker" like the resident Dwight Schrute or something.

I would have argued for Wilson, mostly because he played his way into starting in Seattle during the preseason, and then tied the rookie QB touchdown record. I agree RG3 had an amazing rookie season, I'm just not sure it was the best ever. Both Luck and RG3 were expected to start right away. The fact that Wilson emerged so quickly after much less fanfare also influences my decision.

That's fair. I think you can make a strong case for Wilson depending on what you emphasize..

For those curious what Tom Brady's pre-New England Patriots resume looks like, he posted it online.

Apparently his last professional job before pursuing a career in football was as an intern at Merrill Lynch. Love how he was "Assistant to the Senior Sales Broker" like the resident Dwight Schrute or something.

It could use some work. It sounds too passive.

Also doesn't explain what he's been doing since 1999. I don't know what companies will ignore a 15 year resume gap.

Archived