Sansa's name

Eat My Steel

All the Stark children have names that are traditional to the family and/or people close to Ned:

Bran = traditional, Brandon the Builder, Brandon Stark (Ned's dead brother)

Arya = from Jon Arryn

Jon = from Jon Arryn (although R+L=J)

Robb = from Robert Baratheon

Rickon = traditional, Ned's father Rickard

Where does the name Sansa come from?

All the Stark children have names that are traditional to the family and/or people close to Ned:

Bran = traditional, Brandon the Builder, Brandon Stark (Ned's dead brother)

Arya = from Jon Arryn

Jon = from Jon Arryn (although R+L=J)

Robb = from Robert Baratheon

Rickon = traditional, Ned's father Rickard

Where does the name Sansa come from?

Sansa and Arya are also northern names.

http://33.media.tumblr.com/aa5b4c5b8b3f9a57fccfd2f9d89bc8a4/tumblr_n5hso0H5QJ1r2xrqzo1_1280.png

(this is from the upcoming book A World of Ice and Fire. It's the Starks F. Tree).

I'm of the theory that Sansa and Arya are supposed to invoke the name of their aunt Lyanna. Because both girls have a lot of similar traits to her. Sansa is supposed to be a soft name and Arya a harder name. And yes, both appear to be traditional northern names.

Chebyshov, can you explain the Serena - Moses connection to me? :rolleyes:

A lot has been speculated about her name.

If I´m not mistaken Martin has been asked wether Sansa was named for Sancha of Aragon, who was married to Gioffre Borgia, that sounded very convincing, but he shot it down.

The Apple named Sansa is a type grown in New Zealand since the sixties, I think. So if Martin liked it, it could be the inspiration, but I doubt it.

My personal crackpot speculation is that Sansa is named after a little community in a hidden vale in Piedmont near the town Pinerolo called Salza di Pinerolo, but Sansa in piedmontese.

The Man in the Iron Mask had been held in the fortress of Pinerolo. An heir kept hidden in disguise in the mountains and also a story Martin would know and be interested in. Iron Mask is also a kenning for wolf - Isegrimm.

The vale was also a hideout for some Waldensians.

Archived